MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Possible to search for media in Explorer?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Waycaster
Possible to search for media in Explorer?
on Oct 13, 2019 at 4:21:16 pm

I'm using Vegas Pro 14

While looking for media in the Explorer tab, is it possible to have a search function that searches a broader location than just one folder?

Here's my application: I currently have a freelance job from a client who sent me his preferred sound and video effects, but they are separated into like 15 different folders, each with many subfolders. Probably a thousand sound effects here, it's a mess!

And since I do not know which folders contain which effects, I'd like to be able to "search" for terms. (I know you can search by typing once you've opened a folder, but that only searches for words beginning with that letter).

Right now I need to find a "wink" sound effect. If it's titled something like "cartoon wink" then I won't be able to find it just by searching "wink" in the Explorer window because it will go straight to the "w" section. I also won't know if I'm even in the right folder unless I go through every single one, for every single sound effect (this job will require me to use hundreds of sound effects by the time I'm done).

Other YouTuber's I've edited for have crazy complicated file systems as well, but if I'm just editing one video it's not worth the time to re-organize everything to my liking.

Is a broader search function available for Vegas Explorer?

I currently do this in Windows File Explorer, but there is always a slight delay when switching back and forth between programs, so a project with many sound effects will take much longer doing it this way.

Thanks in advance,
-Chris

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Possible to search for media in Explorer?
on Oct 14, 2019 at 6:07:10 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Oct 14, 2019 at 6:08:14 am

[Chris Waycaster] " Probably a thousand sound effects here, it's a mess!"
Hi Chris! - Oh yes, been there done that got the etc etc etc . . .

Well there's Bad news and then there's much worse news.

A small bit of History. The Skinny. There WAS MediaManager a neat utility that would be accessed whilst INSIDE VP. It would do EXACLY what you/me want - and more. It was monumentaly superb. It WAS only available up to VP13 and with some grief up to VP15/16. But now MAGIX doesn't support it - period. I've checked the Internal Preferences and APPLIED it, but this does NOT reveal its presence anymore. So I'm convinced it has now been removed from the CODE. There is a vestage, like our own appendix, listed in IntPrefs. It doesn't appear in the comically named "Deprecated" tab in VP17.

Unless somebody contradicts me, yes it does happen, we can't do what you want from within V-Explorer. But, you can do what you want within VP Project Media. The BAD News you have to import ALL those Bins to do it. It does have all those Search Criteria needed for your Project, within the Project Media Pane. You can do 30 different BOOLEAN searches NAMES, Framerates', Timecode . . . We can nest searches within searches . .. You can set ranges too! You could ostensible search on a WORD - ie CONTAINS. You can then STORE that resukklt as a NAMED BIN too. But, but, but . . it DOES mean ALL Media initially has to be imported into a VP Project before oyu can do it. The BAD news is that there is currerntly a "Limit" to the number of Bins allowed. It's being debugged now. Personally, I'm NOT holding my breath.

Conclusion:
Yes we could.
No we can't.
Yes we can.
No we can't.
Presently this is driving many people bonkers.

I wish somebody would contradict me, I really do.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 10 64-bit 64gb * Intel® Core™i9 - 3.3GHz * 40Gb NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX60HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Chris Waycaster
on Oct 25, 2019 at 6:04:53 pm

Ah, so I'm not alone

My apologies, this was my first post and I didn't realize I had any responses!

Thank you so much for the in depth response, as well as the simplified conclusion I have learned so much haha

I guess I'll just keep doing my best with workarounds for the time being

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Nov 3, 2019 at 3:38:14 am

There's a MediaFinder tool in HappyOtterScripts that will probably do what you want. It can be used for either replacing media or searching for new media which presumably is what you need. Here is a screengrab.

More information can be found at https://tools4vegas.com/ HOS is still in beta testing through 15 Jan 2020.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Oct 14, 2019 at 6:29:19 am

[Chris Waycaster] "Is a broader search function available for Vegas Explorer?"
Hi Chris - No. We did have Media Manager, which was great. You can do Bin Searches for exactly what your after within the Project Media Pane.

It's something we've been asking for.

* Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Oct 14, 2019 at 4:55:31 pm

Maybe I don't understand .. here's what I'd do.

1. Go to Project Media tab pulldown.
2. Do Import Media
3. Navigate to the main folder for all the media you want to search. This would mean that all the media is organized so that there is a main folder and then sub-folders and so on.
4. Do your search. Example: bell*.mp3 or Explosion*
5. Highlight all the results
6. Click "open" on the Import Media dialogue.
7. This places all the selected items into the Project Media.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Oct 14, 2019 at 5:10:32 pm

[Paul Berk] "Maybe I don't understand .. here's what I'd do."
That’s what I said? Because if it is, I did say that three times? Our chum here wants to do it directly from within Vegas Explorer. I went to major lengths to explain exactly that. Aren’t understanding what our friend wants?

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Oct 14, 2019 at 5:20:43 pm

Grazie ... This was the part I didn't get from your suggestion

>>The BAD News you have to import ALL those Bins to do it.

Why can't you just import the "selected" media when doing a search from Project Media/Import Media ?

And what do you mean by "import ALL those Bins" ? Do you mean folders?

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Oct 14, 2019 at 6:00:06 pm

[Paul Berk] "And what do you mean by "import ALL those Bins" ? Do you mean folders?"
Indeed. My apologies. I was in front of myself. John Rofrano has a great Script that allows us to import FOLDERS and convert them to BINS. Neat!

* Grazie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]