MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

4k performance in Vegas

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Gates
4k performance in Vegas
on Aug 25, 2019 at 11:47:17 am

Hello guys,

I have the following problem. I just bought a new Camera (Fujifilm X-T30) and wanted to cut a few clips (preperation for the upcoming vacation video).

I just came back and imported the videos in Sony Vegas Pro 13.0 and i was sure my PC (with an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8x3.6GHz and 32GB 3200 MHz RAM) would handle the files shot in 4k 30fps 200mbps. However, the preview window stutters heavily even in lowest resolution (quarter).

Checking the performance in the task manager showed me that the CPU usage does not exceed 15%. The RAM usage is also at just 5.9GB (18%) constantly. Is there a way to fix this? Changing the priority to high/real time had no effect at all. I also impoted the file in After Effects and when prerendering the clip, the CPU usage goes up to about 25%, with the RAM usage going up to 16GB (50%) before the clip is finished rendering.

Is there any settings i need to consider when editing with files this large (about 1.5GB per minute)

Thank in Advance!

Return to posts index

Daniel Barraclough
Re: 4k performance in Vegas
on Aug 25, 2019 at 2:57:17 pm

Right-click video in Project Media tab > select Create Video Proxy.

Set Preview Window to Draft or Preview

Set Preview Window back to Good or Best > original HD versions of videos will play instead.
Daniel Barraclough

Return to posts index

Phil Gates
on Aug 25, 2019 at 3:23:55 pm

Ah great, i didn't even know this feature. Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Matthew Jeschke
on Aug 26, 2019 at 6:11:59 am

Not sure what your machine is, but I'm not sure that's the issue. You can edit with proxies as mentioned but I always found that to be a pain.

I'd recommend upgrading to Vegas 17, it's only a couple hundred bucks. I've done quite a few of the upgrades since I started with Vegas back at Vegas 10. The last upgrade to 16 was pretty decent.

This update to 17 seemed to be a big leap in performance though. I didn't upgrade anything on my computer, the timeline playback and editing seem much more stable and fast with this 17 than any of the previous versions.

My guess is they updated more of the FX to have GPU support. I've contacted Magix to ask about this when I built my machine and they are a bit of a closed door. I think the software is catching up to hardware from 3 and 4 years ago. (pretty typical of software development).

--------------------------------------

I do Architectural Photograph & Cinematography as a part of being a Residential Real Estate Consultant.

Some of my work can be seen at,
http://www.youtube.com/keystoaz/
http://www.vimeo.com/matthewjeschke/
http://www.keystoaz.com/

PS. It's an excellent excuse to ride off what I love, Camera equipment :)

Return to posts index

Phil Gates
on Aug 26, 2019 at 5:13:18 pm

Hello Matthew,

while the proy method worked for a single clip, Vegas always crashed after 5 or 6 imported videos (no matter which clips). It seemed like Vegas just couldn't handle the file sizes.

I just installed a Vegas 17 trial and indeed, there were no problems concerning importing files or playback (even 30fps at best quality is no problem). I will definetly upgrade now (was about time anyway i guess).

So thank you very very much! Of all the things that could have fixed this, a software upgrade is the one thing I expected the least.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]