MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Canon Questions

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Tessier
Canon Questions
on Jul 29, 2019 at 2:17:21 pm
Last Edited By Joseph Tessier on Jul 29, 2019 at 2:21:20 pm

Own the XA10 & Vixia MF41 cams but looking at adding either the XA11, XA40, or XA50. The higher level Canons record in MP4 where my current cams record in AVCHD. Just want to be sure I can edit clips from the older and new cams with Vegas Pro 13 in the same project to be distributed as a Blu-ray disc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
My current project properties:

J. Paul

Win 10 Home Prem x64 VegasPro 13
Canon XA10

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
Re: Canon Questions
on Jul 30, 2019 at 2:05:30 am

Hi Joseph

I recommend you read this wiki link regarding AVCHD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

And here's the link for MP4's. It's plural because there is more than one type of MP4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4

I would also direct you to the included help files in Vegas regarding your properties. For starters, check out what it says about Field Order and also the other fields. This way you can set up your properties to you specifications.

All of the above is written way better and more extensively that I could muster.

Remember, knowledge is power !

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini
Vegas Pro 16, User since Vegas 3.0

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Joseph Tessier
on Jul 30, 2019 at 11:32:26 am

Thanks, Francois, for the links - I read over these and looked at the help files regarding properties. Still, it's all very technical and not sure I truly understand all of it.
I do have some experience with mixing video taken with different record modes. I own a Sony fdrx3000 Action Cam and if I allow Vegas to match project video settings I get a slightly different setting:

What I have done is use the XA10 settings for both and my renders look fine. I render for sharing using the Main Concept Internet HD 1080p for immediate sharing and eventually Sony Blu-ray 1920x1080-60i, 18 Mbps video stream to produce the Blu-ray. Maybe that was a mistake but I couldn't see or hear any issues.

My question is if I continue to use the XA10 and purchase the XA40, would it be better to use the XA40's project settings? In fact, does it even make any difference in this specific case. I am not interested in the 4K mode but likely would use 1920x1080 (35 Mbps) at 29.97P frame rate. I would produce a Blu-ray from these mixed cams.

J. Paul

Canon XA10

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Jul 30, 2019 at 1:53:05 pm

Hi Joseph

Before rendering, it's preferable to match what is required for your end use as stated in the Vegas Help

It will also make life easier for you if all of your clips are of the same format.

When using files from different non-matching sources, I will render a copy of all the files to the same lossless format. Personally, I found this to be (99.999%) surprise free when editing and compositing.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but from what I can read on Sony's and Canon's web site pertaining to specifications related to recording formats, they seem to record in the same format. Your post about both cameras show different Field Order you may have options in your camera menus that you can modify and have both output the same type of file.

One thing you should do before buying the XA-40 is to rent one for a day, try it out, take the file and see how it interacts with the other ones in your NLE.

Just like a car, it's nice to take it for a test drive before forking out your hard earned moolah.

As a side note, if you're not interested in using 4K, why spend the extra dollar for this feature.

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini
Vegas Pro 16, User since Vegas 3.0

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Joseph Tessier
on Jul 30, 2019 at 3:04:29 pm

Why pay for 4K? I might use it down the road, plus other advantages with image quality. See this starting at 1:50:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyIxDH6mlXk

I will either rent or have absolute return privileges. I'm beginning to feel more confident that I can make this work so it then comes down to picking the right camera: the XA11 is definitely my cheapest choice but still wondering if the XA40 would be a good choice for the $400 cost difference if quality is indeed better including low light performance with the option to record in 4K. Yes, good suggestion about renting to "test drive" the cams.

J. Paul

Canon XA10

Return to posts index

Joseph Tessier
on Aug 5, 2019 at 3:47:47 pm

After much consideration, I have decided to purchase the XA11. It has good reviews, has all that I need, and is the easiest to use considering I own the XA10. I will use these two plus one Canon HF M41 to shoot my annual 3-cam musical event. My XA10 is 7 years old so I felt the need to acquire another cam that can support XLR audio and is compatible with my current cams.

J. Paul

Canon XA10

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]