MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

How to insert the same audio FX for multiple tracks

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Le
How to insert the same audio FX for multiple tracks
on Jul 28, 2019 at 4:40:48 pm

Hi. How do I add audio FX for multiple tracks without having to right mouse click add FX and then scroll down to the preset? thank you

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: How to insert the same audio FX for multiple tracks
on Jul 29, 2019 at 6:28:29 am

[Kyle Le] "Hi. How do I add audio FX for multiple tracks"
Hi Kyle Le! Do you mean Tracks or Events? On the Vegas Timeline a Track HOLDS one or many Events. An Event is a discreet piece of MEDIA, maybe a Video Clip with its combined or Grouped Audio. So, which is it? A Track or Event that you wish to add SFxs to?

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 10 64-bit 64gb * Intel® Core™i9 - 3.3GHz * 40Gb NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX60HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Kyle Le
on Jul 29, 2019 at 7:02:44 am

Thanks for replying. What happened was I had a long interview clip and I spliced them and trimmed them to about 50 different clips and I need to remove background noise from them. So I guess, I need to add sound FX restoration to many events on 1 track at once.

Also, is there a way to remove background noise from outside ambiance like sounds from far away airplanes and overall noise from a shotgun mic trying to increase someone's voice far away but that also raises the ambiance noise.

Return to posts index

Kyle Le
on Jul 29, 2019 at 7:19:51 am

Also, I'm using Auto Restoration FX to eliminate static noise from a lapel microphone with the default settings, however, sometimes on each clip there is a very loud beep all of a sudden. The preview was fine and then when I went to play it back again after reopening the program, there are now beeps on all clips with the FX added. Strange.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jul 29, 2019 at 8:05:21 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Jul 29, 2019 at 8:06:25 am

OK, Kyle Le, much work to do . . . .

[Kyle Le] "What happened was I had a long interview clip and I spliced them and trimmed them to about 50 different clips and I need to remove background noise from them. So I guess, I need to add sound FX restoration to many events on 1 track at once."
Well, you need to know that not ALL SFxs can be added to the TRACK and have effect. Some are Event dependant. But there is another way to do this and to create an SFxs BUS. You can read up on that!

[Kyle Le] "Also, is there a way to remove background noise from outside ambiance like sounds from far away airplanes and overall noise from a shotgun mic trying to increase someone's voice far away but that also raises the ambiance noise."
Again, you need to understand the dynamics and limits to shotgun mics. Just how far away were you?

[Kyle Le] "Also, I'm using Auto Restoration FX to eliminate static noise from a lapel microphone with the default settings, "
Is that a VP Plug or a Third Party?

[Kyle Le] " . . . . however, sometimes on each clip there is a very loud beep all of a sudden. The preview was fine and then when I went to play it back again after reopening the program, there are now beeps on all clips with the FX added. Strange."
Kyle Le that sounds like an UNREGISTERED SFx. Need more detail.

OK, Kyle Le, you've asked a simple and understandable set of questions, and over three posts! Unfortunately the answers are going to be highly complex and require you to get some further understanding of the dynamics of audio capture and the options in doing Audio Restoration.

As an openning to your next level of understanding, if you would care to post a short file of your most challenging Event, say something less than 10 seconds, I'd firstly be happy to give an opinion and then, secondly, "attempt" to do some restoration on it. It's up to you.

* Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Kyle Le
on Jul 29, 2019 at 6:07:56 pm

Thanks for replying.

I am not sure of the plug in is third party... but I found it in Audio Event FX, ExpressFX Audio Restoration.
It is very strange that at first it was fine and it removed the static noise from the microphone background so well. But then now it beeps very loudly.

Here is a sample clip of audio I am struggling with. The first was filmed next to a beach and the second one was very close to the airport.
How can I lower or remove the background noise so that the subject's speaking voices are more clear? How can I avoid this in the future. I use a rode videoMicro with the wind screen on. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uRm9hsCJ8PgongVTHT9zoHJTMdlkFLmY/view?usp=...

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jul 29, 2019 at 6:51:57 pm

I take the easy one first:

[Kyle Le] "How can I avoid this in the future. I use a rode videoMicro with the wind screen on."
Get the Mic as near to the mouth of the Subject as possible.

[Kyle Le] "The first was filmed next to a beach and the second one was very close to the airport."
Well, it’s complex with two unrelated issues, so remedying this requires two sets of approaches. I’m having a go with my iZotope RX Advanced. Standby....

But, and I’ve made all these mistakes, is to get the recording device close to the mouths of the Subjects.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jul 29, 2019 at 8:50:35 pm

OK, Kyle Le, you have something of a "Perfect Storm", and no mistake. IF these files indicate the capture levels, then both sources/files have been captured something less than -24db. This in itself is not much of an issue, but the Target audio Signal is so close to the Noise that ramping up or adding GAIN begins or starts to swamp the Target.

IMHO? - These audio samples cannot be treated in the same way and need to be separated out and have an RX (Remedy) applied separately to improve matters.

So here are my feeble attempts:

The Sea Capture: 13578_gbaudioproblemssea2a.wav.zip

The Airplanes Capture: 13580_gbaudioproblemsairplanes2a.wav.zip

Not easy, but I could improve matters.

Interesting . . .

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Kyle Le
on Jul 29, 2019 at 9:09:03 pm

thanks for your attempt. can you please instruct me on exactly what you did so i can try to tinker with it? Thank you.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jul 29, 2019 at 9:14:58 pm

I used the third party RX software iZotope RX6 Advanced.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Kyle Le
on Jul 29, 2019 at 9:22:27 pm

What would be the similar equivalent on sony vegas?

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jul 30, 2019 at 5:07:08 am

[Kyle Le] "What would be the similar equivalent on sony vegas?"
Vegas Pro from Version 14 isn’t SONY. I’ve worked VV since Version 3 the nearest noise redux was just that a Noise Reduction Plugin. I used it for years and could get something’s done. However, I’ve now been using iZotope RX exclusively for my Audio Repair work. An equivalent in VP? Not even close. Go to the iZotope website and experience just what is possible.

Thanks for posting your samples which clearly identifies the age-old wisdom of recording dialogue by getting the mic as close to the Source.

An observation for you: Do you mount the Rode mic on top of the camera, in a hot-shoe? Yes? Then think just what the mic is “looking” at. Is it or was it pointing directly at the Mouth of the Subject? At best it was most likely somewhere between the head of the Subject AND that airplane. For interviews I use a reporter’s interviewing mic or Sennhieser shotgun 66 held by the interviewer in a holder. Both mics I have set with wireless sends. Interviewer points the mic at the chest or mouth of the Subject. The interviewer is already “rigged” with a close-mouth Sennhiser Lavalier wireless Mic. This setup is my preferred way of going about this work. It gives freedom to both the Subject and the Interviewer/Reporter with no trailing wires.

After setting your camera to capture visuals - lens cap off, correct frame rate, exposure, white balance, focus etc.... - ensure your sound levels are what you want. A great video “looks” rubbish if the sound is awful. However a “challenged” video looks more than acceptable if the sound/audio is clear and captured well.

I’ve taken time to give feedback because you appear to take Audio seriously. May you continue to. There are simple solutions that are built on thinking through the areas of issues. There are some great Audio Websites out there to learn from, I did!

Oh, here’s a homegrown Parabolic receptor for recording sounds in the African Bush I took with me on my recent trip to the Bush:

And yes, that’s a cheap £1 salad bowl 😆 it works well. And yes that’s a short Senni Shottie. See if you can inexpensively create your own Audio kit. It’s great fun!

* Grazie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]