MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Awful pixelated and blurry videos after rendering 2D animation

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Toppin
Awful pixelated and blurry videos after rendering 2D animation
on Jul 19, 2019 at 10:32:29 pm

Hello, i'm an animator and i recently just finished a project that i've been working on for over a year, but when i render the video i start to notice weird visual bugs that i can't quite understand, it just makes everything look very low quality and un-appealing. I've tried rendering the video on every file format in vegas pro and it doesn't seem to help.

here is an example:

if you look closely you can see that the walls look almost pixelated after being rendered. And in the actual video its even worse because you can see it shift in and out of various levels of blurryness or pixelation, it isn't smooth. I've tried rendering in every file format available in vegas and have tried 720p and 1080p, not sure what else to do here.

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
Re: Awful pixelated and blurry videos after rendering 2D animation
on Jul 19, 2019 at 10:47:25 pm

Hi James

Can you supply your project properties and your favored render properties ? Also your original file format(s) would help us help you !

Cheers !

P.S. Mediainfo is a great tool for that purpose https://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini
Vegas Pro 16, User since Vegas 3.0

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

James Toppin
on Jul 19, 2019 at 11:24:40 pm

The project properties:

The file properties:

And i usually render in "Internet 1280x720 30p" under "Sony AVC/MVC" but again, i've tried rendering in all the possible formats.

Return to posts index

Nick White
on Jul 19, 2019 at 11:44:08 pm

Finally! Something I might be able to help with. If I bang on about stuff you already know then sorry.

What version of Vegas are you using? I ask mainly because different version take slightly different paths to do a render.

What do you import into Vegas from your animation setup?

Definitely no expert with video, but from my photography, what I reckon I am seeing is not pixelation, but the compression algorithm causing what I know as "Jpeg artefacts". When there is a gradual change of shade over a very bland area (say, a sunset sky), the compression will turn it into definite levels, rather than a true gradient.

The resolution (1080, 720 etc) of the video will not help here, if I am right.

When you say you have tried every file format, have you also looked at going for higher quality/less compression in "Customize Template"? If you are using "Make Movie" as your way to render, then you need to select "Advanced Options" . The File/Render As option takes you straight there.

After choosing the file format in the list (and here, it can be a guessing game, with records kept about the results of each), then "Customize Template" and in some of them you can see a "Data Rate (bps)....or, confusingly, sometimes Kbps" :O. Simply (and hopefully accurately) put, the higher the data rate, the better the result (less compression and maybe a reduction of your problem. Higher bit rate means a bigger file for any resolution. There is probably a Law of Diminishing Returns here: the higher you go, the harder it will be to see a better result/kbps of data rate.

But a small resolution (720 ie) needs less data /sec than a larger one (1080) to get the same compression quality. So a smaller file size.

What you settle for is up to experimentation. Select a small portion of the video as a loop range, at a place where the problem is bad, then ask to "Render Loop Region Only"...finding that will depend on your Vegas version. Then do various bit rates for each compression method.

The trouble is that to shove greater and greater amounts of data through in a given time makes it harder and harder to use for even playing on a given machine, let alone stream on the InterWeb.

You need also to decide your target audience: YouTube allows 4000 HD but I am not sure about data rate or formats. For one thing, until we all get the Internet the Govts (hah...my spekk checler wanted to call that "Goats" ) keep promising :(, a large data rate will not stream for a lot of people. The trap is that if you create a really high quality video, say using AVCHD and a 20,000,00 bps data rate (described by Vegas as being to archive video), if you want to post that up to anywhere on the web, you may be limited and it is likely the compression artefacts will come back.

If you cannot reach your target with an acceptable data rate, then maybe look at removing the gradients in the actual animation? at removing the gradients in the actual animation?

Nick
Head: Hertz Music
Seems our entire history has been dominated by finding better ways to throw things at each other.

Return to posts index

James Toppin
on Jul 20, 2019 at 11:34:18 am

I knew that the gradients where messed up because they already look messed up when i see them in sony vegas so that isn't the problem, the problem is the "jpeg artifacts" appearing all over the video regardless of if there is a gradient there or not.

For example:

In that shot, those weird dark lines appear spontaniously for no reason and there are similar problems all over the video.

Another example:

The wall is covered in jpeg artifacts when it just meant to be a flat brown wall.

When i upload the video to youtube, it makes my animation look like 360p when set to 1080p! It is really depressing to be honest. What else can i do?

Return to posts index

Nick White
on Jul 20, 2019 at 11:34:54 pm

OK. I get that you are upset. Seriously, I have been there. But the only way to approach this is to give this and that a go, in a (hopefully) logical manner and try to improve things. If anyone is to help you, you need to address what is suggested, and let us know the results. We can only guess, and let you produce the results.

Again I ask: what is the process to get the animation into Vegas: what programme do you use to animate and does that programme do its own render? If so, why do you have to render again in Vegas?

You say there were gradients already there before you imported it into Vegas. So it seems to me that while you may not _see_ the gradients before Vegas renders it, re-rendering made it worse and therefore there is a good chance they _were_ there, but are now exaggerated by the new rendering.

Did you try any of my ideas about going into Render As and giving different settings a go? I know that if your video is posted to YouTube, the prob;em may well reappear, but until you find the _source_ of the problem, by eliminating things that only make it worse, you are going to struggle.

My next suggestion is to use Handbrake to do a render. It is free and very easy to use, although as with any video app, there is a learnig curve. I am happy to try to help with that. This will show whether Vegas is at fault. If they both show the same problem, in a video that is sized and data rate ready up for posting to YouTube, then it may well be something is happening in your animation setup.

Again, from your posted shots, 360P vs 1080p does not look like the issue here. BUT....try actually rendering at very large data rates with the resolution set to 1080, and then again with it set to 360 or 480 and see the difference. Maybe it IS the problem.

Nick
Seems our entire history has been dominated by finding better ways to throw things at each other.

Return to posts index

James Toppin
on Jul 20, 2019 at 7:38:45 pm

I think i've figured out that one of the main problems was making the clips a little bit transparent in order to make the scene look dark like being i a dark room. But now how do i apply a natural dark effect to my video without using transparency? using the "brightness and contrast" effect slider only makes the colors look deeper rather than actually shrouding the scene in darkness.

Return to posts index

Nick White
on Jul 23, 2019 at 12:16:39 pm

OK. One more try and I am struggling. I keep asking you to help me help you,and your response is to say you have "figured it out" yourself but how do I do that? This is not JUST irritation. I am floundering trying to keep up, with no feed back and no real information. On top of that, Zmy emotional response is "Are you asking me or telling me?"

It is very rare to get lucky in these circumstances: make changes, record them in notes, see the result. Record THAT in notes. It is a LONG way down the track that guesses become informed guesses, and even more when they are always right. In all things visual I am no way there yet, and I believe that when I think I am, I should walk away.

HOW have you used Brightness an contrasts to make it look dark? What settings did you try? Did you try gamma?...Basically a dark place is not only darker. It also is less saturated and less contrasty. It may also have tonal change. So colour saturation (less), brightness (less), contrast (less). Colour ...move toward the blue.\

These are hints . If you ask, I will try to help. I understand visual processing a bit. I am NO WAY a Vegas expert: technique will need me to experiment. Willing to do that 'cause it makes me learn. Bit please stay on track. If I ask a question, refer to it, even if all you say is "do not know" (not good but at least you read my question ☺ )

Nick
Movie Studio...version 12, 15, 16 Suite. Win 7 64 bit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]