MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Movie Studio Platinum 16 crashing - video stabilization

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Hughes
Movie Studio Platinum 16 crashing - video stabilization
on Jul 8, 2019 at 9:33:39 pm

I have MSP 16 .... and using this version for first time on the weekend.
I have single video track of around 8 clips ...
If clip is short I can apply Video Stabilization Fx and it applies OK.
If clip is longer (around 30 sec) it will crash the program

Same thing happens every time with 100% repeatability ...
I select the effect, click on stabilize (default settings) ... it starts and green progress bar moves with a regular cadence.
It then gets to 99% .. and stalls ..... after about 10 sec the program then shuts down with no error.

When I start it back up I get an error "The last session did not complete properly ..."

This is not a fault on clip .. as it happens on multiple clips.
The clips in case relevant are 1920 x 1080 59.94 frame rate.

PC is powerful, and has loads of RAM. No other programs being run at the time.

Return to posts index

George Dean
Re: Movie Studio Platinum 16 crashing - video stabilization
on Jul 9, 2019 at 12:31:04 am

Hi Rick,

Thank You for all the information up front, however we may need some additional information to assist in hopefully helping you.

Although you feel it is not the clips it would be helpful for you to reply with what device or program generate your source media, camera make and model, capture hardware or capture software, what codec was used, etc. Even better, if you don't already have it, download the free app 'Mediainfo'. Start it up, go to the 'View' tab and select 'Text' mode. Got to the 'File' tab and load your source media. This will provide a report on the video and audio specs of your souce media, post those here.

Your PC is powerful with lots of RAM, but the specs of your system may also be important to member here to help. Especially the GPU make and model and RAM. Also do you overclock your system.

Have you tried to turn off GPU acceleration of video processing and does that make a difference?

I just use the Video Stabilization FX on a 2.7K 59.940 fps seven minute clip. It took 18 minutes to process flawlessly.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Jul 9, 2019 at 7:53:52 am

Thanks for offer to help - I will not be back in front of PC until tonight - will add media info tonight.
One thing is it is on several different clips .... only those of 30sec or more crash.
The source is a camera ..... Lumix GX9, no intermediate processing or conversion of the file.

Return to posts index

Jeff Lee
on Jul 9, 2019 at 6:18:13 pm

render to intermediate codec first

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Jul 9, 2019 at 8:28:13 pm

To what intermediate codec? ....

I would be rendering from AVC/MP4 to something then after I finished rendering back to AVC/MP4 ?
its a shame if this has to be the answer as it will add a lot of extra steps to each video

But I'm willing to try.

Return to posts index

Jeff Lee
on Jul 9, 2019 at 9:42:52 pm

Do you have Magix Intemediate codec (PRORes sub)? Less stress on the processing engine.

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Jul 10, 2019 at 12:07:44 pm

This is a list of installed codecs on my PC
13516_codec.jpg.zip

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Jul 9, 2019 at 8:02:19 pm

Hi ... MediaInfo file of files that get to 99% and crash program ... attached
13513_mediainfo.txt.zip

To answer on details

W10 Pro 64 Bit Ver 1803
OS build 17134.929

Physical PC... Intel i5-3570K 3.4GHZ
16 GB RAM
OS & Programs on fast SSD
Data files on 2 x 1TB HDD

Videos created via a Panasonic Lumix GX9 no intermediate processing, files loaded direct as project media

Tried files again today .... short files fine, 30 sec of more fail.

Are there any Logs I can capture ?

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Jul 9, 2019 at 8:59:49 pm

Hi

Try to monitor your cpu when using stabilization - then you will probably find that your pc is not very powerfull - when you work with 1920x1080 59,94p mp4 footage !

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Jul 10, 2019 at 12:07:04 am

Hi Rick,

Although some of the other suggestions may help you, I don't think rendering intermediate files will solve this issue, but certainly worth a try.

Although your i5 Ivy Bridge CPU isn't considered a powerful PC no days, nor is 16 gb RAM, considered loads of RAM, I think your system is adequate to run the 'default' preset Video Stabilization Fx, provided there isn't something else going on.

Just to clarify there is something else poking at the problem, can you perform a full reset? Hold the the 'Ctrl+Shift' keys and double left click on the Movie Studio desktop shortcut. This should pop up a small window. Check the box 'Delete all cached application data', the left click on 'Yes'. This will reset all the Movie Studio settings to factory installation and assure something has been changed they may effect our test results.

Now, don't load a project, just bring in one of the source media files that previously crashed, and run the Video Stabilization Fx and see if you have success or the same results.

If you have the same failed results, you may want to try using the legacy stabilization Fx and test those same problem files with it. Go 'Options', hold down the 'Shift' key and click on 'Preferences'. By doing this you will see 1 additional tab at the top. It's named 'Internal', select that tab. In the bottom search bar type in 'legacy'. You will see several options in the Preferences list. One should be 'Expose Legacy Stabilizer'. In the 'Value' column it will say 'FALSE'. Edit that value to say 'TRUE'. Then click on 'Apply' and 'OK'. You now need to restart Movie Studio.

The legacy stabilizer will now show up as 'VEGAS Stabilize'. Please try it with default settings and see if it finishes without crashing. I'm not suggesting that using the old legacy stabilizer as a solution to not being able to use the VEGAS Stabilization FX (although you may like it better, some report they like it better), rather as a test which may help others help you or MAGIX if you have submitted a support ticket.

Keep in mind my Movie Studio 16 Platinum works fine with both VEGAS Stabilization and VEGAS Stabilize FX's on source media much more taxing that yours.

Have you tried turning off 'GPU acceleration of video processing'? Can you post what make, model and vRAM your graphics card?

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Jul 10, 2019 at 11:40:19 am

Graph of Processor & RAM usage when running stabilization is shown on :

Running well within normal parameters - not hitting the stops.
Plus only using 37% of RAM in total, so plenty of RAM spare.

When it gets to 99% the usage drops to less than 30% and stays that way even when program crashes

13515_usage.jpg.zip

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Jul 10, 2019 at 12:54:20 pm

Hi Rick, rather than posting a link to a zip file, it would be better to copy and paste or post a screenshot, Thank You.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Jul 10, 2019 at 1:58:31 pm

apologies ---- clicked on the icon and followed instructions

Return to posts index

Jeff Lee
on Jul 10, 2019 at 4:29:31 pm

60 FPS even 1080P can put a real strain on a computer system. My i7700 4200 with 32 gig fast ram, SSD, and 480 8 Gig GPU doesn't crash but it can be very, very slow. I work with proxies and then render with the machine doing nothing else.

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Jul 12, 2019 at 8:25:57 am

Had an update from MAGIX Support ..They advise cause is a library file called ucrtbase.dll for the crash behaviour. This file is installed with C++ rediststributables, particularly with the 2017 redistributable.

They asked me to to repair file - no difference

I reinstalled all C++ rediststributables, tested - same result. Back with Support.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]