MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Rendering 4k clips to a 1080 movie?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leszek Kozieł
Rendering 4k clips to a 1080 movie?
on Jun 17, 2019 at 2:21:05 pm

Hello all, I am new in the editing thingy.
Im using Sony Vegas 11 and i have few questions. Correct me if im thinking wrong.

I want to make a short movie from my holidays, last time I was using only a camera that recorded in 1080 60 fps. But now im also using phone that can record in 4k 60 fps. Im wondering how to use both the 4k and 1080 footage.
I understand that If I use a 4k clip, then i can edit it more (like zooming in without loosing quality).
When I open Vegas Pro how should my project properties look like? Should they be set for 4096 × 3112, or for 1920 × 1080? After im done with editing I want to render it for a Full HD 1920 × 1080.
What about other settings? Like render quality, bit rate etc. Im completly green in this.

Thank you all for the replies and sorry for my bad english :)

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
Re: Rendering 4k clips to a 1080 movie?
on Jun 17, 2019 at 7:15:00 pm

Hi Leszek

First you have to make sure that the clips from your phone are of a constant bit rate, not variable. Vegas doesn't like variable bit rates.

What I would do is if you have to zoom in on your 4 K clips is to work on those first, do your thing and then when you're done, render to the same format as your clips in 1080, open a new project, import your rendered clip, add your 1080 clips and then use Match Project Settings in Render. Depending on the final use of your video. render accordingly (examp: DVD=Mpeg2)

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini
Vegas Pro 16, User since Vegas 3.0

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Leszek Kozieł
on Jun 17, 2019 at 8:49:52 pm

How can I check the bit rate of the clips from my phone? Im using Samsung Galaxy S9.
So you suggest to me that I should first render all my clips from 4k to 1080, and then start mixing them with my oryginal 1080 clips from my sport cam?
Well it would be a bit troublesome because I shot loads of material and use only 1/4 from it. But i never know what Im gonna use, so rendering all that 4k material to 1080 would take ages.
Can't i just preset my video project to 1080, and then add the 4k and 1080 clips to it, edit it, and render to 1080 setting?

Feel free to judge my previous 2 holiday films ☺
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNdajxBNCAP_YCdPrF6jHHQ/videos?view=0&sort...

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Jun 17, 2019 at 9:43:39 pm

''How can I check the bit rate of the clips from my phone?''

Mediainfo is a great (free) tool. tells you everything you need to know about your clip.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

''...I should first render all my clips from 4k to 1080, and then...''

You should first work with your 4K clips on what needs to be done and when finished render it to the same render format as your 1080 clips.

Open a new session with your 1080 clips and import your rendered 4K clips. edit and package it. Done !

Cheers !

Return to posts index

Leszek Kozieł
on Jun 18, 2019 at 1:28:42 am

Call me a dummy but i dont uderstand it.
Why should I first render my 4k clips to 1080, and then mix them up with 1080 clips from other cam? Why cant I open one project, add the 4k clips, add the 1080 clips, mix them, edit them and in the end render whole project as 1080? Wouldnt it save me time?

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Jun 18, 2019 at 1:42:43 am

It would save time but you would lose the option of doing that nice zoom in you wanted to do...

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Jun 18, 2019 at 4:46:30 pm

Hi Leszek,

If you were using Vegas Pro 13 or later you could do it your way, slap all the 4K and FHD on the timeline, zoom in on any 4K part and render it out.

I'm not familiar with VP11, and if it doesn't do 4K, that may be the reason Francois suggest his way.

I would add caution in these areas......

Your phone footage is most likely variable frame rate. I would use something like the free app Handbrake and convert that footage to constant frame rate.

Then your frame rate, if their is a difference between your FHD footage and the phone 4K 60 fps. You need to match those and there are several ways to do it, and depending on the render frame rate it may not make a lot of difference in the final product. For example, if your FHD is is 29.970 fps (30p) and your phone footage is 59.940 (60p), rendering out to 29.970 fps will be a snap, although if you have any fast action in the 4K footage it will not look as smooth as 29.970 fps as it does in 59.940 fps. If you render out to 59.940 fps, the 30p FHD footage is going to be choppy, unless you use a third party speed ramping program with optical flow technology.

4k UHD is a perfect match to 1080 FHD with a 16:9 aspect ratio. However 4K does not match 1920x1080 so you will need to use Track Motion or Pan&Crop to match the FHD frame size to avoid black boarders.

I watched your video 'Albania 2018', thank you for sharing. My suggestion would be to slow down the pans and slow down your camera moves. Avoid the shadow exposure to bright light exposure in the same scene, it is crushing the blacks and blowing out the whites. Balance (color match) the color correction from scene to scene.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]