MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Burn DVD with 720x480 so that it plays correctly on wide-screen TV

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Wise
Burn DVD with 720x480 so that it plays correctly on wide-screen TV
on May 18, 2019 at 3:22:39 pm

I am trying to make a DVD from 720x480 media (16mm film transferred to digital) so that it will play back correctly on a wide-screen TV, adding black borders left and right instead of spreading the image out to the edges and distorting it. There must be some simple solution. Can someone help me here?

Note, I'm using Vegas 14 pro, and using the "burn disc" tool. Perhaps I must use DVD Architect? What settings?

Thank you!

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
MFA/BFA Lighting and Camera Instructor Academy of Art University
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

George Dean
Re: Burn DVD with 720x480 so that it plays correctly on wide-screen TV
on May 19, 2019 at 1:14:35 am

Hi Rick,

Why not render using the 'MainConcept MPEG-2' format and the 'DVD Architect NTSC Widescreen video stream' template. DVDArchitect should ingest that without rendering (of course you know to render audio as well).

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on May 19, 2019 at 4:25:43 am

If you want borders left and right that makes me think you should be working in 4:3 and not 16:9. You don't want the wide screen template as suggested.

My system specs: Intel i7 7700k 4.20 GHz, GTX1060, 16GB RAM, Gigabye Z170 HD3, Vegas Pro 13 (x64), Windows 10 x64 Pro, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, VASST Infiniticam 1.7, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on May 22, 2019 at 11:09:59 pm

Thank you for your replies. I discovered that the reason the DVD player that's attached to my TV didn't show the movie correctly is this old player doesn't automatically adjust to the 4:3 format. I have to manually change over to 4:3 and then all is fine. By contrast, my computer's DVD player/burner does automatically adjust.

Bottom line: what I did works fine. I just didn't realize what an old DVD player I had and how limited it is.....

Thank you again for your replies.

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
MFA/BFA Lighting and Camera Instructor Academy of Art University
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Eric Clinch
on May 23, 2019 at 3:10:15 am

Also not all TVs automatically adjust to the aspect info they are given by a player. My old Sony does but my newer Panasonic doesn't. I have to manually alter my Panasonic's aspect ratio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]