MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Disappearing video clips

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cindy Henneberger
Disappearing video clips
on May 15, 2019 at 4:52:07 pm

I have been working on a project for four weeks that I am supposed to present to the client tomorrow. I planned to use today to do the finishing touches — but it appears, Vegas had other plans for my time. Suddenly, throughout the video, some clips that have been playing all along — are gone. I see someone on CC raised a similar issue but for different reasons; she was using WMV files. I am not. So her solution doesn't work for me. Below is a photo showing some of the missing .mov files in my project.

I tried renaming three of the missing files and putting them in a different folder — to no avail. And, if I open the files in my Windows explorer folder; they play fine with the default "open" app and also with Windows media player. So it is doubtful that the files are corrupt (as some online blogs have speculated is the issue with disappearing clips in Vegas).

Again, there are missing clips like this throughout that were playing fine previously. I am using Vegas Pro 16.

Cindy

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
Re: Disappearing video clips
on May 15, 2019 at 6:55:10 pm

Hi Cindy

Run Mediainfo on your original files (the missing ones) and post in Text view mode. We'll take a look at it. https://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini
Vegas Pro 16, User since Vegas 3.0

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on May 15, 2019 at 7:29:56 pm

Me again

The reason we ask for the info is that sometimes, the file(s) have something wonky that Vegas doesn't like. It may even be that it may work foe a while and suddenly, not. For example, let's take a .MOV file. It's just a container for different types of file. Weird frame rates, etc...

Cheers !

Return to posts index

Cindy Hberg
on May 15, 2019 at 8:40:39 pm

I appreciate the information, Francois. Below is the MediaInfo text you requested. Although I deleted the (disappearing) video file from my project and my drive, then went back and restored it from my trash in order to run it through MediaInfo so you could look at it. Hope that didn't change anything.

In the meantime, I had tried downloading the video clip again from its source and re-importing it into Vegas. It worked for a while, now the whole project cannot be opened. I'll have to rebuild the project from an older backup.

An odd point that may or may not add insight: I pulled up an old version of my project and the video files that disappeared in the more recent version of my project -- those same files play fine in the old version.

Here's the information:

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

Return to posts index

Cindy Hberg
on May 15, 2019 at 9:35:05 pm

Please help, peeps. I'm working hard away at the video -- and feel like I'm in a bad "Back to the Future" episode. If the visuals continue disappearing, I'll be toast!

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on May 15, 2019 at 11:02:28 pm

Hi Cindy

Just finished from a shooting. Never rapped-up this fast.... ☺

As soon as I get back, I'm on your case.

Cheers !

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on May 15, 2019 at 11:12:45 pm

Me again

On the road getting there. In the mean time, since your file looks like it has a duration of 24 sec, can you upload it to a Dropbox or some other file sharing place so I can get a better look at it when I get back ?

Cheers !

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on May 15, 2019 at 11:24:55 pm

Sorry about the back and forth. It would also help to know what version of Vegas you have, on PC or Mac, is the file strait from the camera or from a download, as the file been processed in any way before and if yes, what was done to it. Any and all other pertinent details will help.

And yes, someone else is doing the driving.... I would never text and drive.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Cindy Hberg
on May 16, 2019 at 12:37:24 am

Francois, You are the bomb! Thanks for communicating with me so diligently. Fortunately -- after re-downloading the visuals multiple times and deleting the old ones from my project; Vegas started showing the clips again. Whew!

The visuals I downloaded were the same visuals I had downloaded previously; and I downloaded them in the same manner. So it's odd. But as the S-man said "All's well that ends well."

Blessings,
Cindy

Return to posts index

George Dean
on May 16, 2019 at 12:51:53 am

I was following your thread when you made this last post. Glad you get it all worked out and as always Francois offers his excellence in assistance.

Now, don't forget to BACKUP!

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on May 16, 2019 at 12:51:17 am

Hi Cindy

If it gives you any more headaches...

Try this:

1- Open an other instance of Vegas
2- Import your clip
3- Add your clip to the Project Media window
4- Right click the file in Project Media and Create Video Proxy
It will create a proxy file (sfvp0) along side the original file (you won't see it in Project Media window)
5- Add your clip to your timeline.

Don't forget that if your preview window the Draft or Preview setting is selected, the proxy file will be used. If you select Best or Good, the original file will be used.

On some machines, when the file is to heavy on the computation, it will either sputter or not show the file(s).

Cheers ! ...and the best of luck for tomorrow !

Return to posts index

Cindy Hberg
on May 16, 2019 at 3:20:32 am

Francois and George, Misery loves company -- so you both are greatly appreciated! After my Pollyanna post; I made the great mistake of having dinner. When I came back, even more video clips had disappeared. It's as if Vegas had taken notes from Hannibal L and went to cannibalizing my project. I'm back to "Back to the Future" and the disappearing images. I'll try your proxy idea, Francois — and take a look at my backups, George. I appreciate the advice.

Return to posts index

Cindy Hberg
on May 16, 2019 at 3:36:38 am

Sheesh, a good one fifth of my clips just disappeared. I have a relatively new computer; it has not had problems with other apps. (As a producer, not a dedicated editor) I've edited with Media 100, Final Cut Pro, Premiere, and even Avid (back in the day); and have not experienced this type of random illogical melt down. I'm not sure I'm going to be sticking with Vegas. In addition, I've had a preposterous amount of freezing issues.

I'll be up half the night; and who knows if I fix the disappearing media act -- whether it will disappear again. Right now, I'm not feeling the Vegas love. But knowing you guys have tried to help, makes me a fan of Creative Cow. I don't think this is a files issue -- as other apps play my files. (Got most from Envato Elements). I like that Vegas is a one-time subscription; and its easy to archive projects. But this is beyond the pale.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 16, 2019 at 4:45:12 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on May 16, 2019 at 5:02:02 am

Hi Cindy. Looking at your MediaInfo you’ve got Media that has Variable BitRate. Vegas Pro doesn’t like Variable BitRate it prefers Constant BitRate. You need to do some detective work. Render just one Event as Constant BitRate and Test that. How many Events are there? How many Single Media are you using? You may need to render externally ALL your Variable BitRate (VBR) Media to Constant Bit Rate (CBR).

Also, where or how did you come by this 4:2:2 footage? Did you shoot it? What camera? Or were you given it? Its CODEC, QT 2005.qt suggests it comes from an APPLE Platform? iMovie? Final Cut Pro?

We need more information about the origination history of this footage. The material is asking too much of VP.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX60HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Cindy Hberg
on May 16, 2019 at 5:49:18 am

Hi Graham — I got the video from Envato Elements. And Vegas can handle most of their MOV files but not all of them. I'm not sure there is a big difference between them though. If by rendering as a constant bit rate you mean picking a codec where I set the bit rate at 8 million, for example. I have tried that to no avail.

What is odd though is the disappearing media goes and then reappears, off in on, in no predictable pattern.

I have about 130 events in a six-minute video, where the average event lasts around 3 seconds. I'm not reusing events; so each comes from its own master footage.

If I were to render all my clips externally to make it constant bit rate -- I haven't done this before. But, I imagine I'd download an app for that. I suspect since this project is due to the client tomorrow, I might make it if I continue editing while it disappears, then wait for it to reappear (as thus far it has) -- then render it before it goes bon voyage again?

I think the neater and ultimately better way -- would be to re-render/convert all the footage, as you wisely mentioned. I only wish time were my friend right now.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 16, 2019 at 6:36:17 am

[Cindy Hberg] " I got the video from Envato Elements."
Nice site! And there, right there is your issue: In terms of SPECIFICATIONS, I can't see ANY reference to just what it is you can download. Obviously it HAS been QA for APPLE platforms. Do you see any references to PC platforms?
[Cindy Hberg] "And Vegas can handle most of their MOV files but not all of them."
Looking at the variations then sure, that sounds about right. VP will do its best and then with others it wont - as you've discovered. 😉
[Cindy Hberg] "I'm not sure there is a big difference between them though."
Well, Vegas thinks so.
[Cindy Hberg] " If by rendering as a constant bit rate you mean picking a codec where I set the bit rate at 8 million, for example."
Well, you COULD try setting Project to MATCH your Media and see what it does then.
[Cindy Hberg] "What is odd though is the disappearing media goes and then reappears, off in on, in no predictable pattern."
I suspect that this IS expected behaviour. VP is trying like hell to do the MATH. Sometimes it DECODES and then it gives up, and sits down.
[Cindy Hberg] "If I were to render all my clips externally to make it constant bit rate -- I haven't done this before. But, I imagine I'd download an app for that. I suspect since this project is due to the client tomorrow, I might make it if I continue editing while it disappears, then wait for it to reappear (as thus far it has) -- then render it before it goes bon voyage again?"
Woah! You are not in a good place to start this going for reediness tomorrow. Your call.
[Cindy Hberg] "I think the neater and ultimately better way -- would be to re-render/convert all the footage, as you wisely mentioned."
Well, lesson learnt. We've all been there. I've learnt to take into account ALL my parameters before editing. That's from QA the Media right through to delivery. And yes, before I bring any of my footage into VP I test it to death to make sure, and then and only then get busy with Clients=Paid Work
[Cindy Hberg] "I only wish time were my friend right now."
Never ever is. But we can tame and wrangle Time into being an obedient animal! We just need to be canny. - Speak with the Client? But that's up to you.

* Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Cindy Hberg
on May 16, 2019 at 4:38:32 pm

Hi Graham -- I responded to this last night, but don't see my response here. So, I'll try again. Thank you for your thoughts. I set my project to match my media (but Vegas is still being belligerent). And after rendering all the clips that had disappeared into an mp4 (non MOV) format -- now many other clips are disappearing.

This is my fourth week of working on this same project with mostly the same clips, clips that have played fine all along. It would be a big time saver if Vegas rejected them up front so one solved the problem early or looked elsewhere early, didn't waste one's time, or spend an all-nighter trying to solve the issue, one to find oneself sitting in front of the computer with a client meeting in 3 hours and more clips gasping their last by the minute.

Arghh!

Return to posts index

George Dean
on May 16, 2019 at 5:01:24 pm

Cindy, I'm not clear what disappearing means? Are the clips gone from your Project Media bin? Or, they can not be seen in the Preview window?

If your clip require Quicktime to import them, there is a limit to how many .mov files can be successfully handled before strange things start happening. That limit for many is in around 40-50.

I know you are under the clock, so this might not help, but I would run the source media through ER Media Tool Kit (AudioSpot)and convert them to something like an mp4. Then replace your source media in your project with these new converted files.

There is no reason Vegas should have problems processing 150 clips in a 10 minute project, and your project is smaller.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on May 17, 2019 at 2:27:23 am

Hi Cindy

Just to add to George's comment, if ever you get a 5 minutes break it would be nice to know how it went with your project and if anything we suggested worked. It may help someone down the road to avoid what you went thru.

Cheers !

Return to posts index

Cindy Hberg
on May 17, 2019 at 6:17:28 am

Hi George and Francois,

Thank you for your advice and for your generosity with your time! I have the utmost respect for you both. I will certainly look into ER Media Tool kit for the future.

As regards to how the story ended, and I appreciate your asking because, like you stated -- it could help others. A burning question in my mind all along was: what changed after 3 1/2 weeks of smooth sailing that turned the last 48 hours into a Night Gallery episode. Then something I'd read on a random blog about four months ago struck me. I'd read (and I'm not geek enough - yet- to get the words exactly right, so please bear with me) -- but I'd read that unlike some other editing software that processes video on processor cores, Vegas mostly uses the RAM in my computer and perhaps only one of the cores in my processor, even if the processor has multiple cores to offer it. (Again, I need to polish up on gaining geek proficiency). When the disappearing video issue began, I still had a decent amount of RAM available. But I had downloaded Adobe Illustrator recently.

So I took hope, while slouching in my chair: after an all-nighter reading blogs on freezing video and rebuilding my video over and over again only to find the video disappearing once more. And I thought, like I had during various Polyanna moments throughout the night, maybe there's a solution. I could uninstall Illustrator (love Illustrator, BTW). But if uninstalling it didn't work, I suspected with some two hours to go; it was not even possible to finish a semblance of the video in time. And I was also scheming on how to steal away enough time to brush my teeth and go to the clients office in something other than pajamas. I hit the uninstall button and waited...

And this time, the proverbial clouds parted. Video clips that I'd so carefully placed and moved around were suddenly visible in all of the some 30 backups that I'd feverishly saved. And the video clips that had been fine for the last two and three weeks (before disappearing) were back now and stayed around. George McFly must have finally sucker punched Biff.

There were five clips that never showed back up. But that was way better than having huge chunks missing all over the project. Not knowing about ER Media Tool kit then, I was still able, by taking your advice on re-rendering, to solve that issue. So in Vegas, I imported the five clips into a new project, then rendered them as one massive clip using a somewhat lossless codec (as far as I could tell). Then I took the big clip into Vegas, split it up and replaced the invisible video with it. The project came out well. I even made it to the meeting on time with teeth that were actually brushed, and (as a plus) wearing day clothes.

Thank you both for making a successful client meeting possible. I would have had a meltdown last night had it not been for your advise and commiseration. You guys rock!

Return to posts index

Cindy Hberg
on May 17, 2019 at 6:20:53 am

Sheesh Graham! I intended to thank you and George and Francois. Please know I'm operating with a severely sleep deprived mind at the moment. You were incredibly helpful. Thank you so much!!

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 17, 2019 at 6:38:18 am

[Cindy Hberg] "You were incredibly helpful. Thank you so much!!"
You’re welcome. We’re all COW-Team Players.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on May 17, 2019 at 10:03:00 am

Wow, glad you figured out that the culprit was actually Illustrator.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on May 17, 2019 at 11:35:27 am

Really happy to know that in all worked out in the end.

Those pesky ressource hungry software will get you every time. I had Chroma Key problems way back where the previous clip would show up as a picture in picture in the next one, minus all FX. Ever since, I have run my Vegas on a dedicated PC along side this one and I have said Goodbye ! to 99% of my problems. And for those of you using a laptop, well... I'm sorry to say that it will never replace a good tower if you want to get serious with your editing. It's great in the field for basic stuff but not much else.

As for you Cindy, take 2 weeks in Hawaï. You've earned it !

Cheers

Return to posts index

George Dean
on May 17, 2019 at 1:40:46 pm

Cindy, Thank You for posting your solution. That certainly was a mess that hit you at a really bad time, I'm impressed you hung in and managed to get your project completed and delivered on time, I send my respect.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Lee Doucet
on May 18, 2019 at 11:35:42 pm

Quote: " I'm sorry to say that it will never replace a good tower if you want to get serious with your editing. It's great in the field for basic stuff but not much else."

VEGAS has the system requirements of a consumer NLE, and half of those have a better Chroma Keyer that works just fine on potato machines...

This is completely ignorable, IMO.

If you run other software like Adobe Pr/Ae, Avid Media Composer, DaVinci Resolve/Fusion, etc.; then the specs are a bit more up to question.

Also, some plug-in packs (i.e. BCC Continuum, Sapphire, Mocha) can benefit more from the higher specs.

But, that is due to the system requirements for those 3rd party products, not VEGAS Pro itself. If you're editing with VEGAS Pro and using, predominantly, stock plug-ins/effects, you don't need much hardware to edit well on it... and you don't need a Desktop at all. A decent laptop more than suffices.

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on May 19, 2019 at 4:28:15 am

MOV files are problematic with Vegas. I always convert them to MP4 using QWinFF and then edit.

My system specs: Intel i7 7700k 4.20 GHz, GTX1060, 16GB RAM, Gigabye Z170 HD3, Vegas Pro 13 (x64), Windows 10 x64 Pro, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, VASST Infiniticam 1.7, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 19, 2019 at 7:21:40 am

[Nigel O'Neill] "MOV files are problematic with Vegas. I always convert them to MP4 using QWinFF and then edit."
Nigel? It’s whats inside them that’s problematic that goes for MOV and MP4. Sure, rendering to a VP compliant MP4 envelop is one way. However my previous Canon shot gigabits of MOV envelop footage and I can easily edit that in VP. But inside the MOV is MPEG-4 Format.

It would be interesting to see a MediaInfo readout of the MOV? So I’ve got ostensibly MOV footage containing MP4. Here’s mine:
Complete name : MVI_4708.MOV
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : QuickTime

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Cindy Hberg
on May 19, 2019 at 6:17:59 pm

I'm reading what everyone wrote after I thought my Vegas issue was solved. And all I can say is Team-Cow rocks!

Now the reason I say I thought my Vegas issue was solved is this -- more disappearing clips! The client requested a few edits. Nothing much, but it was enough to make Vegas go -- tilt. I was able to open my project about twice and some 1/5 of my clips were laying like blanks in the timeline again. Nothing showed up when I tried to play them. The third time was no charm either, Vegas wouldn't even open the project at this point. I tried about 40 times, doing things bloggers said, deleting Photoshop to free up RAM, but nothing worked. No worries though, there is a "they lived happily ever after" to this story.

It felt rather presumptuous calling on Team-Cow again for help after you'd already spent a generous amount of effort on my time-sucking issue.

I psyched myself up (or down) to spend another glorious all-nighter on this (as the client's board meeting is Monday). But something told me a fresh mind would take me further than a frenzy of all-night reading and botched solutions. (Perhaps I would find grace for the task in the morning.)

So I went to sleep, keeping hope. Throughout the night when waking, I would run various solutions through my mind. One of them rose above the others, so I tried it first. And -- it worked immediately and kept working (and I now have a rendered video)! I'm recording what worked here for those who come to CC down the road, with a boggled brain and blurry eyes.

I load a lot of files into my project as I pick and choose the ones that look best. Some make the cut, others don't. But they remain in the project, though not on the timeline. If I need them later, their image is smack dab in front of me. Easy peasy. Well, I moved about 30 of the clips I never eneded up using -- out of their folder on my hard drive (and put them in a different folder). When Vegas went looking for them it couldn't find (nor load them!). I then tried to open my project. Vegas prompted me, asking what I wanted to do about the missing files. I responded for it to ignore them.

When my project opened, batta boom, everything was still there. Felt like Christmas!

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 19, 2019 at 6:27:05 pm

[Cindy Hberg] "Well, I moved about 30 of the clips I never eneded up using -- out of their folder on my hard drive (and put them in a different folder). When Vegas went looking for them it couldn't find (nor load them!). I then tried to open my project. Vegas prompted me, asking what I wanted to do about the missing files. I responded for it to ignore them."
Please explain, simply, just what it was you did? It might assist others.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Cindy Hberg
on May 19, 2019 at 9:58:33 pm

Good question, Graham. I suspect Vegas could not handle the size of my many clips. Heretofore, I had though the clips I didn't use, but kept in my project, were merely placeholders not requiring RAM as I had not put them in my timeline. But now I can see they take up RAM and plenty of it! Thus we get the thumbnails in our project media folder that we can scroll over and even watch the footage progress, without putting the clip in our timeline. This takes RAM.

1) Once it hit me these clips were gobbling RAM (that Vegas needed in order for my timeline to play well and for clips to show up), I decided to take the clips I was not using out of my project.

2) But as I couldn't even open my project -- the only way to accomplish that was to take them out of the folder on my hard drive that Vegas went looking for them in. I placed them in another folder on my hard drive in case I wanted them later. But they were no longer in the location that Vegas went looking for them in.

3) Vegas had previously been telling me I had one missing file. I'd tell Vegas to forget about it. And Vegas did but also didn't open my project. Once I gave it 30 files that it couldn't find; and I didn't make it look for. Batta bing. Less RAM hoggers in my project. Now Vegas was free to use my computer's RAM to handle the video clips I am using in the timeline. And it was open sesame after that.

The bottom line is the numerous clips I keep on hold as project media, are not on hold, they're RAM gluttons.

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on May 21, 2019 at 1:25:04 pm

OK let me clarify. Final Cut Pro and iMovie natively edit MOV like a hot knife thru butter. I have had numerous issues with MOV files and the advice I was given by a Cow leader was to convert them to MP4, be it Sony, DJI drone footage or iPhone footage in MOV.

It's possible that I am getting source footage from particular devices that Vegas doesn't like. It's mainly Sony and DJI files I have had problems with. I can't comment on Canon files as no one has given me footage shot off a Canon yet! Perhaps it's my Vegas version which is still on 13 because of the plugins I have and still use.

I been in situations where I have placed multiple MOV clips on the timeline and started editing them, only for them to suddenly become unviewable.

As soon as I convert them from MOV to MP4, my timeline issues disappear.

My system specs: Intel i7 7700k 4.20 GHz, GTX1060, 16GB RAM, Gigabye Z170 HD3, Vegas Pro 13 (x64), Windows 10 x64 Pro, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, VASST Infiniticam 1.7, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

George Dean
on May 21, 2019 at 2:45:14 pm

We often talk in containers/wrappers as in .mov and .mp4 and that can be confusing because processing problems within Vegas Pro are not specific to the container/wrapper, rather what codec was used to compress and store the video/audio within the container/wrapper. We should be talking about the contents as in h.264, x264, h.265, MPEG-2. MPEG-4, MJPEG, ProRes, DNx, etc.

Often, however the user is not clear what that codec is and it is easier to refer to it by it's container such as .mov. And sometimes it's not even the codec, rather how the source handles it's own home spun version of the codec.

With that said, we do know that Vegas Pro will not natively handle all flavors of the contents of .mov files, not even version 16, and needs Quicktime to ingest some of those problematic files. We also know that Quicktime in Windows is 32 bit and no longer supported by Apple, and that presents another issue when it needs to be used, as Vegas Pro will only handle a certain limit of those files before strange things happen.

One example......when testing source media from a Canon 5D Mark III, every user who tested including myself, found that 40 clips in the timeline was the limit. Place 41 and Vegas Pro will not view the files, and may actually lock up and/or crash, confirming this problem that 'Peter-Pappas' (user at Vegas Creative Forums) brought up. These were MJPEG in an .mov container (and reported here: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/new-canon-5d-mark-iv-camera.... As yet, Magix has not addressed this is Vegas Pro.

If the .mov file contains ProRes it can be ingested with Vegas Pro 15/16 natively without Quicktime so there is no file quantity limit. Some other source media files with the .mov container can be ingested successfully by all versions of Vegas Pro without problems or support from the 32 bit Quicktime. These types really don't require the q7plug.dll and are just wrapped in .mov.

There are also some files that have the .mp4 wrapper that present problems to Vegas latest versions because when loaded they invoke the so4compoundplug.dll and Vegas chokes on them. In that case simply disabling the so4compoundplug will fix the issue, and by doing so Vegas will reverts back to using the old compoundplug.dll. These are certain flavors of AVC or XAVCS type files. See this thread: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/avc-xavc-s-issues-in-vp15-1... . But if you have files from a Panasonic GH5, which needs the so4compoundplug.dll you may be forced to convert/transcode one or the other files so they can both be used in the same project!

If anyone is confused yet welcome to the club, I'm a member also!!! Often the simplest work around is to transcode/convert the problematic source media to something like h.264 or Cineform intermediates and get on with their project. Others simply change cameras, but for those working with clients, they are going to have to find a reasonable work around to use the client material.

Also, I should probably add that source media with variable frame rate has always been nasty for NLE's to handle, as they like constant frame rate. These type files can be in the .mp4 and/or .mov containers using any codec that supports variable frame rate compression, like h.264. In this case, Vegas Pro 16 (build 464 or later) is better at processing than previous versions, but some of these files (and depending on how many and what effects are applied) can even cause problems with VP16. These are often from a screen capture program and smart phone source.

Hope some of this may be of help to others and like always, if I have anything twisted or incorrect, please reply and I will correct any errors.

Many or perhaps most Vegas Pro users don't have any problems ingesting their source media simply because they are using files which don't have these problems.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]