MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Vegas 15 w/ QT Files

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyson Onaga
Vegas 15 w/ QT Files
on May 7, 2019 at 8:39:54 pm

MAGIX has recommended uninstalling QT as ....
"modern .mp4 and .mov files can be read in Vegas applications without requiring QuickTime."

Uninstalling QuickTime is problematic for two reasons:

1. I have lots of third party content that was created using QT, specifically using JPEG, PNG, or Animation formats.
2. I need to render files that contain an alpha channel -- usually using QT Animation.

My Qs:
a. Do you still have QT installed? If not, how does Vegas 15+ read QT Animation .mov files?
b. Without QT, how do you create files w/ alpha (other than AVI)?

Thanks,
- tyson

Return to posts index

George Dean
Re: Vegas 15 w/ QT Files
on May 7, 2019 at 11:18:17 pm

Hi Tyson,

I'll reply to part of your questions.....

I do have Quicktime installed, as I need it for making various test.

VP15 and VP16 will read ProRes without Quicktime installed but it will not read all QT files, so if you need it, best to keep it installed. It's 32 bit, so not the best, and Apple has stopped support, and there is a warning out that the player may have a security leak. To avoid the security risk, just never use the player for untrusted media. The biggest drawback of the 32 bit, to my knowledge, is the restriction that most users can not load more than about 40 clips and then their system does strange things like locking up. There are some ways to get around this.

I think there are a couple other formats you can use for alpha, but off the top of my head I don't know as I don't need to render alpha.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on May 8, 2019 at 12:03:23 am

Hi Tyson

Just to add to George's comment, I found that Version 7.6.8 worked fine with Vegas Pro V10 and above. I vaguely remember that above versions were problematic.

File can be downloaded here: https://www.oldapps.com/quicktime_player.php?old_quicktime=29

And maybe here (no sure about the version though 7.6.?): https://support.apple.com/kb/DL762?locale=fr_CA

Cheers

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini
Vegas Pro 16, User since Vegas 3.0

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

George Dean
on May 8, 2019 at 12:20:03 am

Francois @ "I found that Version 7.6.8 worked fine with Vegas Pro V10 and above. I vaguely remember that above versions were problematic."

Nice add

+1

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Tyson Onaga
on May 9, 2019 at 5:28:19 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Forgot to add that I'm using:
Win 10, i7 16 GB, 1070 GTX 8GB, 512 GB SSD, 1 TB + 4 external HDs
Vegas 15 (since ver 3)
QT 7.7.9

Everything works fine (as did Vegas 10) except with scripting.
With scripting, the Track window must be minimal and Preview window must be closed ... such as Vegas15_layout8(forScripts).jpg in:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kam3rgfouozwp81/AACGOE57EvczW6JEA_tdkBcya?dl=0

Any other configuration w/ the Track or Preview windows visible (ie, processing a WM_PAINT message) and Vegas 15 randomly crashes if a .mov file(s) is used by the .veg.

Thanks again .
Regards,
- tyson

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on May 9, 2019 at 8:16:03 pm

Hi Tyson

2 things.

1- You are running QT 7.7.9. You should be running 7.6.8 Nothing above that version.

2- .MOV is a container. Just like a box, it can have something different inside.

Run Mediainfo on you file and post. We'll take a look at it. https://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

Cheers !

Return to posts index

George Dean
on May 9, 2019 at 10:16:19 pm

In addition to Francois,

+1 on the QT version, I would roll back to 7.6.8

In Mediainfo, first select 'Text' mode in the 'View' tab, it provides more information than the default view.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Stan Willis
on May 10, 2019 at 10:48:26 am

I found this thread through following George Dean's posts. Glad I did because I had almost given up on Vegas Pro 15 - which is a pity as I like it's fast GPU assisted rendering. However, the link above for downloading QT 7.6.8 doesn't work for me and it's the same with another link I found by googling. Does anyone have a link that works or, if not, would anyone be good enough to send me a copy?...... It also seems less than ideal that Vegas Pro 15 ( the previous version to the current one) is relying on an insecure program that is nine years old.

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on May 10, 2019 at 11:20:24 am

Hi Stan

I guess my links were a little dated...

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/quicktime-7-6-8

Cheers !

Return to posts index

Stan Willis
on May 10, 2019 at 12:51:53 pm

Many thanks Francois,
I download QT 7.6.8 from your new link and installed it and for some minutes I thought that fixed the problem. But I am still getting crashes when I try event pan and crops using GH5 4K MP4 clips of several minutes duration. Suddenly the program crashes or freezes.

Return to posts index

George Dean
on May 10, 2019 at 2:41:24 pm

Hi Stan,

Seems I remember something about GH5 media having a problem within Vegas, but cannot remember off the top of my head what the resolution was......I will do some pecking around, maybe the so4compound plug, but will find out.

Can you post a copy & paste or screenshot of the Mediainfo (in Text view mode) of your GH5 4K footage?

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Stan Willis
on May 10, 2019 at 4:02:05 pm

Hi George,
Thanks for your quick reply
Here it is:
General
Complete name : I:\Henry Lowther\2019-04-18_210320.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42 (mp42/avc1)
File size : 9.05 GiB
Duration : 13 min 31 s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 95.9 Mb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2019-04-18 21:03:21
Tagged date : UTC 2019-04-18 21:03:21
PANA : ­Ú / *¡‚®ªŠú«ª¬îÊî®|¾®æÊ)͵øª/*ª¢®®º®Ì¨ŒÈêîʨJî¹NéøꪲüܪÚìjˆî¨¨êíÚª®Œ®ˆ ¯èøûî¬êú¬Ø®êꢎˆ̪êÄʺl©,ª® êšäêíܨš¶¼ÝhëìªÊª¡/J꺚îêꪋÅÿì쪞íé / ªÌìê£ØzìäÈᮊš¬¾–ê¿®,®Ì˜«ŠÈê / Ìê¨úêꮩèꫨÙl¼ïÌȪ è ëμ§Îþû®«®®J®«Z†©¬ˆŒˆj»Ì®êªî늊®ªŠ¸®¬J¬..ʂæÉ®ªª˜ª½šþª¬¼¨îú«êl¾ëŠ­ªþª¨î›äª«Îîè.fêªÛ®ú©ŽJ®Î¯Šèî fúªªªÈËìʺê¨îªÍˆ¨êèú§nª›È¸ÎêˆnªŠˆ:ª«ú®ˆËþ&¨îž¬ªøꨈª¿î†îÈî­èî®êÎïŠB®ç / Ú®®ª¨Ê‰©ªª¢ª®†®É»Š«Ê¡*ª·í»ºÞêêˆÎª’سªü«¾¬Š¨»Š¸¢Jîîèìèª‹ªªî¬êýŽþ­‚h›jˆ« ªhk«èˆ¨lìʊ膪ȮÚꪫ¬Ú§æª™­É‹ª®Š¾®¢¨Šª¸èn®žÈêÞî¿î©#¨º«:‰ïÌ<Š¬ª†îî®*;f*ª~¨ªÓúàÎ鯨ºÎüΪ(ý¸Î¾ÊLªªŠž®èëì­Î꘼¬ºŒOŠ¬J¬ªÊꮌÜ슪¨®þÞÞ.›Èîîïê¨H™ÑʨØîþhªkèªêꊩ¨¢Š®¢ÚŠª®êêˬˊÊ讫«ŠªšâŒ®Êî«©ê:Ê­¨ºîèhÈ»ˆÏŽàˬî‚ÂêÊ*®»þªj¨ª¯¯8ªºˆÌ«èŪ®ª®ª*ëžêîîÈ

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L5.1
Format settings : CABAC / 2 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames : 2 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 94.3 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate : 106 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.455
Stream size : 8.91 GiB (98%)
Color range : Full
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Codec configuration box : avcC

Audio
ID : 2
Format : PCM
Format settings : Big / Signed
Codec ID : twos
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 536 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 149 MiB (2%)

Other
ID : 3
Type : Time code
Format : QuickTime TC
Time code of first frame : 00:25:24:04
Time code, striped : Yes
Bit rate mode : CBR

Return to posts index

George Dean
on May 10, 2019 at 4:42:47 pm

Stan, can you post your settings in the GH5, so I can duplicate them in my GH4. My GH4 source is almost identical to yours, but want to match the camera settings as close as possible. Also what is the length of the source that crashes when you use Pan & Crop? If it is the file you used for the Mediainfo above, I have that 13 minutes 31s. I want to try and duplicate your crash.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Stan Willis
on May 10, 2019 at 6:44:17 pm

Hi George,
I shot the clip about a month ago. It would have been fully manual, stabilization on (including the lock feature that the gh5 has) . photo style natural , rec format was probably mp4(LPCM), Quality 4K 8bit 100Mn 25fps.
The clip itself is about 9.5Gb so it's a bit large to send - I would in any case need permission from the artist to do that.
I seem to be able to edit clips in DaVinci Resolve 16 beta 2 free version without problems though they don't play in real time (I could create proxys ) and the rendering quality isn't the best. I would be grateful for any thoughts you may have.
Many thanks
Stan

Return to posts index

George Dean
on May 10, 2019 at 7:10:52 pm

Hi Stan,

I'm recording a test file based on your settings, and will see if I con duplicate your issue. Will report back soon.

Hi Tyson, it appears that your thread is now going two different directions, your mov issue and Stans' mp4 issue. I hope we can keep this straight!

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Tyson Onaga
on May 10, 2019 at 6:36:58 pm

> 1- You are running QT 7.7.9. You should be running 7.6.8 Nothing above that version.

Why is this (not that I doubt you) ... ? I've been using 7.7.x for years with no issues except in Vegas 15 where the Track and Preview window must be 'non-repaintable' while the script executes. Also, I can't find any COW threads re: 7.6.8 where this is the version to use.

2- .MOV is a container. Just like a box, it can have something different inside.

I know .... most of the mov files are from Rampant Design or Digital Juice. They are ProRes, Animation, PhotoJPG or PNG. Without QT installed, Vegas won't open them.

Thanks again,
- tyson

Return to posts index

George Dean
on May 10, 2019 at 8:02:21 pm

Hi Stan,

I cannot duplicate your Pan & Crop crash. However, it's not that uncommon for so many different other reasons, but was worth the effort to eliminate. Here are the specs of the test source media I used which are very silimar to yours:

General
Complete name : I:\DCIM\102_PANA\P1020242.MP4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42 (mp42/avc1)
File size : 3.97 GiB
Duration : 5 min 58 s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 95.1 Mb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2019-05-11 00:25:31
Tagged date : UTC 2019-05-11 00:25:31

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L5.1
Format settings : CABAC / 2 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, RefFrames : 2 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 93.6 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate : 106 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.451
Stream size : 3.90 GiB (98%)
Color range : Full
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Codec configuration box : avcC

Audio
ID : 2
Format : PCM
Format settings : Big / Signed
Codec ID : twos
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 536 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 65.6 MiB (2%)

Other
ID : 3
Type : Time code
Format : QuickTime TC
Time code of first frame : 03:48:00:16
Time code, striped : Yes
Bit rate mode : CBR

I used Magix Vegas Pro 15 build 416, are you on the same build?

Have you performed a full/factory reset? Hold down the 'Ctrl+Shift' keys while you double left click on the Vegas Pro desktop shortcut. In the small popup window, check the box 'Delete all cached application data', then left click on 'Yes'. This will set all Vegas settings to their default installation values and delete the pesky cached application data which will sometime build up and cause Vegas Pro to do strange things.

From what I have read this morning looking back, any issues with the GH5 files was based on the Hvec codec yielding 10 bit, but should have nothing to do with your 4:2:0 8 bit AVC recordings. I found no complaints about the GH4/GH5 mp4/LPCM files.

Here are my system specs if you would like to compare them to yours.....
Corsair Obsidian Series 450D ATX Mid Tower
Asus X99-A II LGA 2011-v3, Intel X99 SATA 6 Gb/s USB 3.1/3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-6800K 15M Broadwell-E, 6 core 3.4 GHz LGA 2011-v3 (overclocked 20%)
64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200
Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX 280mm Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
MSI Radeon R9 390 DirectX 12 8GB Video Card (driver 25.20.15011.1004)
Corsair RMx Series RM750X 740W 80 Plus Gold power pack
Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 boot drive
Corsair Neutron XT 2.5 480GB SATA III SSD - video work drive
Western Digitial 1TB 7200 RPM SATA - video work drive
Western Digital Black 6TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Bb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 data drive
Bluray Disc burner drive
2x 1080p monitors
Microsoft Window 10 Pro (1809)

Your VP15 crashes doing Pan & Crop, mine doesn't, so I have listed as much as I can for you to determine what is different between our setups and possibly lead to a resolution. There are most likely many differences but I would be most concerned with the Vegas build number and GPU make, model, and driver.

Have you also turned off your GPU in Preferences (Video tab), 'GPU acceleration of video processing', which may yield a better result to avoid the crash?

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Stan Willis
on May 10, 2019 at 8:34:57 pm

Hi George,
Thank again for your time. I have the same 15/416 Vegas build as you. A single large 4k Samsung HDR tv as monitor. An earlier i7, 16Gb of Ram, video and Windows 10 (not pro) on separate SSD drives. An Nvidia 1060 GPU. I applied the NVidia creators update fairly recently so I would think my GPU driver is utd. I will try turning off GPU processing to see if it helps. If that is the cause I'll probably stick with Resolve so I can use it.
all the best
Stan

Return to posts index

Stan Willis
on May 10, 2019 at 8:41:57 pm

HI George again,
I should have said the factory reset method you describe doesn't work for me but a few weeks back I deleted the cache files manually.

Return to posts index

George Dean
on May 10, 2019 at 8:47:06 pm

Hi Stan,

Well, if there is anything else I can do, or making more confusing, please let me know. Good Luck with it.

BTW, way back I started tinkering with Resolve 12.5 and last year I seriously and finally got into self-training with v14. Then I made the switch when v15 was released. Now I'm on the studio version and haven't looked back, other than now I tinker with Vegas Pro to try and help others and some friends I have that are still using it. recently I jumped tot he v16 studio beta and it has been running very well actually and runs everything better than Vegas, so I understand your frustration and wish you well in what ever you decide to use.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on May 11, 2019 at 3:02:50 pm

Hi Tyson

As for QT version 7.6.8 , it's just trial and error. I just find that particular version to be the most stable with Vegas. I try to use it a less as possible.

You also have to keep in mind that QT for PC is 32bit and it's trying hard to work in an 64bit environment. You will be limited in what it can take. Your best bet is to convert your .MOV files to a more Vegas friendly format by using Handbrake or FFmpeg. Choose the end-use file type that suits your needs.

Cheers !

Return to posts index

Lee Doucet
on May 18, 2019 at 10:21:32 pm

This is the problem...

1. Even though HQX Supports Alpha Channels, VEGAS Pro is HARD-CODED to disallow you to render the Alpha Channel unless you're rendering to Uncompressed AVI.

2. While VEGAS Supports rendering to ProRes 444 ("MAGIX Intermediate," formerly "MAGIX ProRes"), there is no option there to render the Alpha Channel - so it cannot be done.

Kind of hilarious when you think about it, given this is a Windows-only product...

Unless you use Image Sequences, Uncompressed AVI, or Legacy QT Framework/CODECs, there is no way to get Alpha Out of VEGAS Pro - short of using a third party tool to create assets that require Alpha Channels (After Effects, Motion, Fusion, Titler Pro/Title Studio, etc.), rendering from there, and then importing the rendered clips into VEGAS Pro.

-----

Personally, I'm investigating moving off of VEGAS Pro - likely to Premiere Pro CC. The workflow is becoming a time-wasting virus of despair. I got cussed out after sending an [VEGAS-generated] AAF out and my 19 Audio Tracks became over 160 on the Sound Designer's DAW because VEGAS puts every clip and L/R channel of those clips on a different track... completely random tracks (i.e. a clip could have 20+ tracks between its Left and Right Channel - it's way worse for Surround). I had to download a trial of Premiere Pro to "fix" the problem, which certainly was a LOT faster than having him manually fix the session on his end, since the generated AAFs were practically flawless... Thank God Adobe offers trials...

I only need the NLE, so $20.99/mo. isn't much to pay, and it's not like VEGAS 365 is much cheaper, since you're otherwise basically are forced to upgrade yearly just for the smallest of QoL improvements (so, a subscription de facto).

The problem with QT in VEGAS has more to do with awful development than a reliance on QT. You can easily transcode Animation Files to a format that doesn't require QT, but you can't even batch convert easily without a[n overpriced] third party extension. It supports CODECs that support Alpha, but forbids you from rendering out the Alpha Channels. It's as if the NLE is working against you at every turn - like a marketing promotion for competing products.

Return to posts index

George Dean
on May 21, 2019 at 5:40:57 pm

Lee Doucet @ "Unless you use Image Sequences, Uncompressed AVI, or Legacy QT Framework/CODECs, there is no way to get Alpha Out of VEGAS Pro - short of using a third party tool to create assets that require Alpha Channels (After Effects, Motion, Fusion, Titler Pro/Title Studio, etc.), rendering from there, and then importing the rendered clips into VEGAS Pro."

Lee, doesn't Magic 8 bit RGBA produce a render with alpha channel?

Personally it doesn't matter as I use DaVinci Resolve and have no use currently for alpha channel.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Lee Doucet
on Jun 4, 2019 at 12:43:41 am

Don't know. I don't generally use esoteric CODECs that aren't reliably portable... because I might switch platforms or NLEs. I need something that is a bit more standard, like ProRes or DNxHR - or freely available regardless of platform - like Grass Valley HQX.

I am evaluating other NLEs at the moment. VEGAS basically can't interop with anything else, so I'm practically forced to at the moment. It is terrible at Importing and Exporting AAF files ☹

Nothing that I exported out of Resolve comes into VEGAS Pro properly (if at all), and exporting Audio Timelines results in the messiest track layouts I have ever seen in my life when imported into a DAW session.... EVER (unusable de facto).

Don't like how heavy Resolve feels on my system (esp. my Laptop). Might go to Premiere Pro. Its AAFs are flawless when I import them into my Audio apps, and Resolve has bad CODEC support (can't export XAVC-Intra Video, Premiere Pro can... H.264 is bad in DAWs).

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Jun 4, 2019 at 7:51:54 am

Hi

".... and Resolve has bad CODEC support (can't export XAVC-Intra Video, Premiere Pro can... H.264 is bad in DAWs)."

Is it because you compare Davinci Resolve free with a purchase program like Adobe Premiere Pro?

I have Davinci Resolve Studio and this ......

MXF OP1A mxf Sony XAVC Intra CBG 100 1280x720
MXF OP1A mxf Sony XAVC Intra CBG 100 1920x1080
MXF OP1A mxf Sony XAVC Intra CBG 100 2040x1080
MXF OP1A mxf Sony XAVC Intra CBG 200 1920x1080
MXF OP1A mxf Sony XAVC Intra CBG 300 3840x2160
MXF OP1A mxf Sony XAVC Intra CBG 300 4096x2160

MXF OP1A mxf Sony XAVC Intra CBG 480 3840x2160
MXF OP1A mxf Sony XAVC Intra CBG 480 4096x2160
MXF OP1A mxf Sony XAVC Intra CBG 50 1440x1080
MXF OP1A mxf Sony XAVC Intra VBR 100 2048x1080
MXF OP1A mxf Sony XAVC Intra VBR 300 3840x2160
MXF OP1A mxf Sony XAVC Intra VBR 300 4096x2160