MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Do higher quality videos cause more preview lag?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lee tauseef
Do higher quality videos cause more preview lag?
on Apr 24, 2019 at 5:11:47 am

Hi,
I'm trying to make a montage from multiple clips recording from Nvidia Shadowplay and we all know that Vegas does not work well with Variable Frame Rate videos so I use handbrake to convert them to constant framerate but Handbrake seems to reduce the video quality unless I go for completely lossless quality which renders at a lot more higher bitrate than my source videos (180m bps as opposed to 20m); and I'm fine with that but these videos seem to lag horrible on the preview window and cannot be edited, but if I use the original clips before they were converted to constant frame rate they run smoothly on the preview window.

So my question is simply this; do higher bitrate videos cause more preview lag?

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Do higher quality videos cause more preview lag?
on Apr 24, 2019 at 10:18:45 am

[lee tauseef] "So my question is simply this; do higher bitrate videos cause more preview lag?"
Higher Bitrate requires more maths to be done. It's going to be a trade-off. No simple fix here apart from reducing the Preview quality.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX60HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Apr 24, 2019 at 12:46:31 pm

HI Lee

Using Proxy Files may just be your ticket.

Step 1 - Import all your video clips

Step 2 - Open the Project Media tab and then select/highlight all your video clips as a group.

Step 3 - Now right-click highlighted group and select Create Video Proxy. Movie Studio/Vegas Pro will now render video proxy versions for all your video clips. The proxy versions will be easier to play and work with. The will be saved into the same folder location as your original videos. Please note that it may take quite some time for your video proxies to be rendered, especially if they are large in file size.

Step 4 - Drag your videos onto the timeline as you normally would. The program will automatically play back the new proxy versions for you. However you must set the Preview Window to Draft or Preview quality for the proxy video versions to playback while you edit.

If you set the Preview Window to Good or Best, your original HD or 4K video versions will play instead.

Step 5 - When it is time to render/export your project, you don't have to do anything different or swap any files out. The program will automatically render your project using the original video files.Step 1 - Import all your video clips

Step 2 - Open the Project Media tab and then select/highlight all your video clips as a group.

Step 3 - Now right-click highlighted group and select Create Video Proxy. Movie Studio/Vegas Pro will now render video proxy versions for all your video clips. The proxy versions will be easier to play and work with. The will be saved into the same folder location as your original videos. Please note that it may take quite some time for your video proxies to be rendered, especially if they are large in file size.

Step 4 - Drag your videos onto the timeline as you normally would. The program will automatically play back the new proxy versions for you. However you must set the Preview Window to Draft or Preview quality for the proxy video versions to playback while you edit.

If you set the Preview Window to Good or Best, your original HD or 4K video versions will play instead.

Step 5 - When it is time to render/export your project, you don't have to do anything different or swap any files out. The program will automatically render your project using the original video files.

There are also numerous tutorials on Cow and other well known sites. This list is from: https://www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-movie-studio-platinum/26...

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini
Vegas Pro 16, User since Vegas 3.0

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 24, 2019 at 1:42:25 pm

[Francois Pénzes] "Using Proxy Files may just be your ticket."
Yup, Proxies, stunning reply.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX60HS Bridge

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Apr 24, 2019 at 9:36:17 pm

Lee @ "but if I use the original clips before they were converted to constant frame rate they run smoothly on the preview window. "

Hi Lee, the first question I would ask is, if the original clips run fine, why are you converting them? That's not a wise crack question, I'm serious.

Although, generally, I agree, variable frame rate is often not good for NLE's. And, whenever I hear from a smartphone or screen capture, I ask is it variable frame rate. But, there are many users of variable frame rate that have no issues with it. So, if I didn't have any issue, I would not bother converting/transcoding to constant frame rate.

Beyond that, in addition to Handbrake, I would also suggest something like the free app MediaER Tool Kit. It is easy and fast and if the results were acceptable to me, I would go for it before Handbrake. Handbrake is a great tool with a lot of power and flexibility. With that power and flexibility comes complexity. If you are a Handbrake power user, no problem filtering through all the settings and getting the results you want. If not, maybe a simpler tool like MediaER Tool Kit will suffice.

And, beyond that, proxies (as Francois points out) may be your friend.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]