MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Preview Window Freeze

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Renato Gyuris
Preview Window Freeze
on Apr 17, 2019 at 12:03:53 pm

Please somebody help me

I tried everything that I found on the internet but nothing helps.
Frame freezes I can't do anything only Ctr+Alt+Del
It happens with different types of videos.

Return to posts index

George Dean
Re: Preview Window Freeze
on Apr 17, 2019 at 2:32:06 pm

Hi Renato,

Please post more information about your system, program, project and source media....

1. What version and build of Vegas Pro are you using?
2. Screenshot of your Project Properties?
3. What recorded your source media, camera make and model, or smart phone, or screen capture program?
4. Screenshot of your source media specs, using the free app Mediainfo in text mode (View tab, then Text mode)?
5. What CPU, RAM, GPU model, driver, and vRam?
6. What Operating System?
7. Explain more about what you have in your project, and your workflow?
8. Larger screenshot of your Vegas display?

With this information it is more likely that a member can help assist you. Thank You.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Renato Gyuris
on Apr 18, 2019 at 7:11:18 am

I didn't write these because I tested it on different computers with different files with different vegas pro (15-16). The same thing only the operating system and the project settings.

1. Version 16.0 (Build 361); the freezing happens with 15 and 16 any version

3. I think source media doesn't matter because it happens with different types of videos with different sources. Sometimes the same video not freeze sometimes freeze after in 1 minute.

Intel Core i7-6800K Hexa-Core 3.4GHz LGA2011-3
32GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, Latest

Sometimes after 1 minute sometimes after an hour. Preview window image freeze and the sound not freeze. If I would like to stop the video and play again, the whole window crash and the only thing I can do is force quit. If I don't want to start the playback I can click on a timeline I can save the project and I can save the screenshots. But If I start play button again, the program crashes.
I think the unique thing in my work is I do a lot of screenshots. (500) and I hit CTRL+S almost every action. because of the crash. But I don't think this causes the crash because why crashes vegas after 1 minute?
The other unique thing is I search on timeline very usually with the normal edit tool. I click under audio track hold the mouse button and move the mouse. That way I can view the video faster. If I move the mouse fast the video plays fast. That's way easy to play the video backward too.

The only change on the screen is the area what I posted.

9. I think it would be important too

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Apr 18, 2019 at 10:31:54 am

Hi

Do you have your footage on the C-drive ?

"Complete name: C:\Gyuris Renato\Downloads\scene_720p.mp4"

Why scene_720p.mp4 ? Your footage is 1920x1080, 23.976 fps ! And why do you use a 1280x720, 59.940 fps, Smart resample - timeline for 1920x1080, 23.976 fps footage ?

Return to posts index

Renato Gyuris
on Apr 18, 2019 at 11:37:03 am

I have the same video in 720p and 1080p.
I cut the 720p version
Save and close the project.
Delete the 720p version
Rename 1080p to 720p
Open the saved project.
So I don't have to work with 1080p
That is why you see scene_720p.mp4

Return to posts index

Renato Gyuris
on Apr 18, 2019 at 11:38:42 am

Yes, the video file is on C drive

Return to posts index

Renato Gyuris
on Apr 18, 2019 at 12:05:24 pm

Here is the crash
I hide the video with a black square but you can see when playback stops
https://streamable.com/ibp4o

Return to posts index

Renato Gyuris
on Apr 18, 2019 at 12:11:24 pm

https://streamable.com/q1vy6

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Apr 18, 2019 at 2:54:40 pm

Hi Renato,

Some of the questions and suggestions we make, may not in themselves make an immediate improvement on your issue, but also they may lead to a better workflow and ultimately a solution. Our minds may be working in different ways, so what you think isn't important another member may think it will lead to an improvement. Part of that is we may not have your problem, so it is a method of us trying to determine what the problem is so the fix can be applied.

I would start with the simplest fix first with a full program reset, hold down 'Ctrl+Shift' keys, while you double left click on the Vegas Pro desktop shortcut. A small window will appear. Check the box 'Delete all cached application data', then left click on 'Yes'. This will reset Vegas Pro to it's original installation settings and delete the pesky cached application data that will sometimes make Vegas do strange things.

1. What is your primary reason for using the 'Split Trim Tool' as opposed to the 'Normal Edit Tool'?

2. What is the process and tools you use to get the same source media in both 720 HD and 1080 FHD?

3. Why do you use this method as opposed to using the built in Vegas Pro Proxy?

4. Please post a screenshot of the 720p source media you are using in your project?

5. Your project properties are 59.940 fps, and according to your workflow you replace that source media with 23.976 fps source media, which obviously is a mismatch, what is the logic of this? I do not understand.

6. You have 'GPU acceleration of video processing in 'Preferences' > 'Video' set to 'None'. What is the reason for this as opposed to selecting your NVidia GTX 1060?

7. What is your driver version number for your NVidia GTX 1060?

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Renato Gyuris
on Apr 24, 2019 at 1:10:03 pm

1. I Use Normal Edit Tool
2. I don't know the I download both versions from the sponsor
3. I don't know what is Vegas Proxy
4. I cut this video today and it crashes again with this file.

5. Both files are the same fps only the resolution different.
The crash video is an older video with another file. Both videos were 59.940 fps.
6. I turned off GPU acceleration because I read it causes the crash. But it did not help. I didn't recognize any changes in performance so I didn't turn it on.
7. I use the latest driver 430.39

Thank you for your help and time

Return to posts index

Renato Gyuris
on Apr 24, 2019 at 2:20:12 pm

Here's another crash
https://streamable.com/j6k5q
I think maybe snapshots cause the crash but I don't know why.
I use vegasaur because I can add a hotkey to snapshot.
Before vegasaur I used vegas' snapshot, the little floppy icon above the preview window. Vegas crashes too.

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Apr 24, 2019 at 9:05:49 pm

Renato,

I would make some small changes in your Preferences, which you probably have tried, but perhaps humor me....

Preferences > Preview device tab > (Display adapter) uncheck 'Wait for vertical sync'

Preferences > Video tab > Dynamic RAM preview max, change it from '0' to '200'

Preferences > Video tab > Maximum number of rendering threads from '2' to '12'

Then restart Vegas Pro and start a fresh project. Add some media to start a fresh project, a little bit at a time. Play the preview as you go along, if things work fine at first, keep adding and checking the play back until you either have a good size project compared to the problem project, or you run against problems, then report back here how that test proceeded.

As for the proxy. Vegas Pro can build a 720p proxy of your 1080, or 2K, or UHD, or 4K media. As a default, Vegas pro will build proxies when you add 4K/UHD media to the Project Media bin. Your media is 1080p, so you need to manually build proxies. Right click on a source media video in the Project Media bin, and from the menu select 'Create video proxy''. Depending on how large the video will depend on how long Vegas takes to build the proxy. There is a progress bar displayed at the bottom left of the timeline. The proxy is written to the same folder as your source media, but you will not see it in the Project Media bin.

Add the source media from your Project Media bin to the timeline. Vegas Pro will automatically use the smaller resolution 720p proxy for viewing if your Preview Quality is set for 'Draft' or 'Preview'. If you set the Preview Quality to 'Good' or 'Best', Vegas will automatically run the preview from your original 1080p source. When you render your project, Vegas Pro will automatically use the 1080p HD source media.

So using Vegas Pro Proxy feature, once you have selected to build the proxies (either one at a time or select them all and proxies will be built for all the video you selected) is automatic after that and you do not have to switch anything out before rendering.

About Snapshots: If you feel the amount of snapshots you use is causing the problem, then the test project (above) I suggested should reflex that, once you get to a certain point if you see the same issues you are having with your current project. I would not think a bunch of snapshots (providing they are about the sme resolution as your project, would be the cause.

Another thing you can try, is copy everything in your project along with the .veg file to a different folder on your hard drive. Rename the original folder, as an example the folder name is 'Snapshot Project' to 'X-Snapshot project'. Then load the veg fie form the new folder and if Vegas Pro prompts for the project source files, point it to the new folder. Sometimes garbage gets somehow associated with a project causing strange actions and simply changing the location will help. It is a long shot, but others have reported success doing this.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Renato Gyuris
on Apr 26, 2019 at 2:30:42 pm

I did these steps
Preferences > Preview device tab > (Display adapter) uncheck 'Wait for vertical sync'

Preferences > Video tab > Dynamic RAM preview max, change it from '0' to '200'

Preferences > Video tab > Maximum number of rendering threads from '2' to '12'

Vegas crashes too and now crashes during rendering.

I drag 6 1080p videos to Vegas. The preview is smooth. With 7 1080p video, it's a little bit laggy.

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Apr 26, 2019 at 2:36:21 pm

Renato @ "I drag 6 1080p videos to Vegas. The preview is smooth. With 7 1080p video, it's a little bit laggy."

Did you create proxies for all these videos, and are you preview with quality set at 'Preview' or 'Draft'? If, so they should preview smoother. Of course how smooth depends on any FX's or filters you may be applying.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Renato Gyuris
on Apr 30, 2019 at 6:29:58 am

I dragged it simply to timeline underneath each other and played all at the same time. I didn't create proxies. I set all videos transparency to 50% so I see all videos. The preview quality was Good (Half)
I thought it's a crash test.

Return to posts index

Renato Gyuris
on Apr 30, 2019 at 6:32:17 am

I try video editing with proxies maybe Vegas will be stable.

Return to posts index

Renato Gyuris
on May 2, 2019 at 11:13:10 am

I recognized thumbnails on timeline reload every time when I take a snapshot. Not just timeline thumbnails but project media thumbnails reload too. I don't understand why reload these thumbnails every time I take a snapshot.
I decided to turn off thumbnails on the timeline. For two day Vegas does not crash.

When it was turned on (Head, Center, Tail) it feels like after many snapshots vegas memory will be full and vegas can't work properly.
I feel after restarting PC, vegas starts with empty memory and works well. After many snapshots, the memory is full again and Vegas has problems again and only restarting PC helps for a short time.

Return to posts index

George Dean
on May 2, 2019 at 1:51:08 pm

Hi Renato,

This is strange indeed. I cannot duplicate this in Vegas Pro 16. Do the thumbnails reload in a fresh new project from the once time, or does it take many snapshots before the thumbnails start to reload/repaint? I only made about 25 snapshots, if it takes more than that before you see this behavior than I will test with more, otherwise my systems is not behaving the same as yours. Also, I just updated Vegas Pro 16 to the latest build 424. Is this behavior in VP15 and/or VP16?

This behavior sounds like perhaps the cached application data is causing a problem, did you do a full reset as I asked in a previous reply?
- - - - - - - - - - -
I would start with the simplest fix first with a full program reset, hold down 'Ctrl+Shift' keys, while you double left click on the Vegas Pro desktop shortcut. A small window will appear. Check the box 'Delete all cached application data', then left click on 'Yes'. This will reset Vegas Pro to it's original installation settings and delete the pesky cached application data that will sometimes make Vegas do strange things.
- - - - - - - - - - -
You can load the Windows Task Manager and monitor the CPU and RAM usage. It may be helpful for you to monitor this as you proceed with another test.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Renato Gyuris
on May 3, 2019 at 6:45:34 am

Thumbnails reload only when I take snapshots with Vegasaur. I report the problem to Vegasaur.
I didn't reset de cache. The reason why I didn't reset because on my home pc the problem is the same. I don't think both computers have the same cash problem.
Since I've turned off thumbnails on timeline vegas does not crash.

Return to posts index

Renato Gyuris
on May 7, 2019 at 7:28:04 am

My colleague has exactly the same problem. He doesn't use Vegasaur.
I think thumbnails on the timeline and in the project media window have something to do with the crash.
When the thumbnails on video events is "Head, center, Tail" and I cut the clip Vegas generate new tail and center thumbnails.
Maybe Vegas doesn't like when I working while Vegas generate the thumbnails.

Return to posts index

George Dean
on May 7, 2019 at 2:10:18 pm

Renato, perhaps you can provide a step-by-step of what you do and when you get the freeze.

Regardless of VP16, VP15, or VP13, when I do a snapshot it is pretty much instant that it writes and saves the file and the thumbnail appears in the Project Media bin. That's the same whether I have no timeline thumbnails, head only, head, center, tail, or All showing.

However, years a ago when I was on a duo-quad processors, I would get a few seconds delay in the time it took to write and save a snapshot and during that time Vegas would be waiting for that process to complete before it would go on. That was a delay not a freeze. Once the thumbnail for the snapshot appear Vegas would continue. That might also be the same on a large or complex project on some systems.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Renato Gyuris
on May 8, 2019 at 8:49:14 am

I try to record another crash with keystrokes. Since I disabled timeline thumbnails I have only one crash.
I turned on timeline thumbnails again. And vegas crashes again after 10 minutes. I recorded it and I tried to reproduce with the same video file and with the same actions but I can't. Random times Vegas go crazy. I don't think it's a unique problem. My colleague has the same problem and on my home pc has the same problem. Maybe my work style is different. I work fast and maybe while Vegas is working in the background can't follow my actions.

While Vegas is generating a thumbnail
I'm selecting on the timeline
Vegas is working on the preview
But I cut the clip so vegas generate the new thumbnails
I take a snapshot
before vegas generate the snapshot I'm selecting again on the timeline and cut the clip so Vegas has to generate new thumbnails
And after a time Vegas has enough and crash.

It's a little bit the same problem but my CPU is ok.
https://forums.creativecow.net/docs/forums/post.php?forumid=24&postid=10127...
or this
https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/sony-vegas-pro-13-14-15-freezes-crashe...

I know you can't help if you can't reproduce the bug. The only thing I know if I turn off timeline thumbnails the result is much better.

Return to posts index

George Dean
on May 8, 2019 at 2:31:01 pm

I would tend to agree with you, it's your work style. Early on in this discussion you stated that sometimes it crashes in a minute or later. If that is the same large project I would understand, but if you start a new project, and you get the same crash results early on, it would not indicate Vegas is being overloaded at that point.

That was the difference between your results and mine. I have the same CPU as you do with more RAM. Writing and saving snapshots and printing thumbnails in a smaller projects is instant, so there is very little if anything I can get done while the snapshot thumbnail is being painted and my system does not repaint the thumbnails in the timeline. Although I would like to reproduce your symptoms, No time to build a huge project like you indicate you have with so many snapshots. I'm assuming your friend has the same workflow as you do.

So, what is you wait until the thumbnails are painted, does it crash then?

The biggest difference in our systems is your GPU. I'm running an AMD R9 390. That should have little to do with the difference between your results and mine, but I could be very wrong.

Later this week I may have time to feed several hundred stills into a test project and perform snapshot test. But I just don't have the time to actually take 500 snapshots within a project for a test.

I'm concerned about the difference we have that my Vegas does not repaint the timeline thumbnails when taking a snapshot, but yours does. That is puzzling!

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Renato Gyuris
on May 9, 2019 at 8:32:42 am

Vegas repaint thumbnails only when I take it with Vegasaur.
MAybe the reason why vegas crash after a minute because sometimes after the crash when I force quit Vegas I see in Vegas Pro in task manager.
Maybe Vegas crash after a few minutes if Vegas does not close properly. And I open a new project

Actions I use in Vegas
S (100-200 times)
Ctrl+S (500 times)
snapshot (500 times)
sometimes: Ctrl+Z,Ctrl+C,Ctrl+V,Del
zooming with mouse wheel
Cross Effect - Default
Dissolve - Fade Through White
Sometimes I play the preview (Enter) but usually, I play the preview with the normal edit tool. Forward and backward. I watch the whole video file this way.
I will try to reproduce the bug with Winautomation. Maybe I can find the problem.

Return to posts index

Renato Gyuris
on Jun 12, 2019 at 8:57:26 am

This totally solved my crash problem.
I have a month without a crash.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]