MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

UpRez from SD 720x480 DV to 1080p - Smart Upscale

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Mitchell
UpRez from SD 720x480 DV to 1080p - Smart Upscale
on Mar 25, 2019 at 5:50:23 pm

I'm looking for the best practices to upscale SD DV 720x480 to 1080p in Vegas Pro 15.
I watched an excellent older tutorial by John Roffrano in which he demonstrated BCC UpRez.
I checked with Boris FX and it appears that it is no longer available as a separate unit for $99.

I know that I can use Pan/Crop in Vegas and was looking at the Smart Upscale plugin. Is Smart Upscale meant to be used to solely upscale 1080p to 4K only? Or, can this be used as upscale SD to HD?

I can't find any good tutorials on using Smart Upscale.

If you are familiar with how to upscale in Vegas Pro to produce the best possible results, please share your workflow and methods with me.

Thanks,

Jay

Return to posts index

George Dean
Re: UpRez from SD 720x480 DV to 1080p - Smart Upscale
on Mar 25, 2019 at 9:53:36 pm

Hi Jay,

I have not used the Smart Upscale as yet for SD > FHD. From the very little testing I have done, it does make an improvement, but the tricky part is getting the noise settings as low as possible, yet still eliminating the noise, if there is any, to your satisfaction.

I would start with a 2.5 factor or slightly less to get 480 to 1080. But you may have far better results taking the SD to 720p if you are going to show it on a smart screen TV, as they tend to do a better job at uprez than our inexpensive software.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

James Ollick
on Mar 25, 2019 at 9:54:57 pm

Why not try the free trial? Just download the Continuum Image Restoration Unit that contains BCC UpRes here https://borisfx.com/products/continuum-units/image-restoration/

James Ollick

Return to posts index

Jay Mitchell
on Mar 25, 2019 at 10:03:03 pm

Yes. I found out about the BCC Image Restoration Unit after I made the post. I did download the trial and am testing it now. I expect that it will do a good job. I watched John Rofrano's UpRez video again to make sure that I get the settings correct.

How much of what BCC UpRez does can be created in Vegas Pro using the Smart Upscale?

Return to posts index

James Ollick
on Mar 25, 2019 at 11:39:01 pm

Vegas Smart Upscale only has 3 options; Scale, Noise Sensitivity and Enable Enhancement.
Here is a screenshot of BCC UpRes, more setting options. But you would need to try them to see which gives you the best looking result.

James Ollick

Return to posts index

Jay Mitchell
on Mar 25, 2019 at 11:46:34 pm

On the Quality Tab, I have adjusted it to Magic Sharp as John Rafrono recommended. But I also see a slider for further sharpness. If you also need to adjust Saturation, which Video FX filter do you recommend using?

Return to posts index

James Ollick
on Mar 25, 2019 at 11:52:49 pm

I would try Vegas Color Corrector.

James Ollick

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Mar 26, 2019 at 5:29:18 pm

@jay mitchell

You could also try Happy Otter Scripts at https://tools4vegas.com/, a set of tools which makes use of open source filters and encoders.
Here is a screen grab of the Avisynth Filter dialog which shows the resizing filters that are currently supported.

As shown, other filters include provisions for de-interlacing, temporal de-noising, framerate changes and sharpening as well as slow motion Fx (covered by the resizers dropdown) . At the moment, HOS is still in beta which will be extended through 1 May.

BTW, +1 for George Dean's suggestion of uprezzing to 720P. Although you "can" uprez to HD or even UHD, I wouldn't recommend it unless your final project is one of those frame sizes and you are simply including SD material.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Jay Mitchell
on Mar 26, 2019 at 6:24:03 pm

Thanks Wayne...

I downloaded the Beta and will check it out!

Jay

Return to posts index

James Ollick
on Mar 26, 2019 at 11:46:20 pm

Please let us know your thoughts on all of the plug-ins above that you try. I would we interested to see if one performs better then the other.
I have many SD video tapes, VHS, Hi-8 and 3/4 that I want to transfer to digital when I get the time.

James Ollick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]