MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Has anyone had good luck moving to Premier.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bart Francis
Has anyone had good luck moving to Premier.
on Feb 28, 2019 at 8:46:18 pm

I've used Vegas for at least 10 years. But I just continue to have too many problems with it AND I already pay for Adobe creative suite so I get premier for free.

The one time I took a look at premier there didn't even seem to be a lot of the things I take for granted with Vegas.

Anyone have thoughts on Premier or successfully moved over to it? Did you use some quick tutorials to get you up to speed? etc etc

thanks

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
Re: Has anyone had good luck moving to Premier.
on Feb 28, 2019 at 9:17:25 pm

Hi Bart

I've been with Vegas since V3. I've also work with Avid and Premiere. I also have a paid version of Hitfilm Pro. I much prefer the Vegas workflow but that is a personal choice. What I really don't like about Premiere is that you have to keep paying monthly/yearly to keep using it. That was not the case before Premiere CC which came out I believe in June 2013. I still have Premiere CS2 when I get the odd (and rare) request that requires me to merge something out of After Effects.

As I mentioned before, it's more a question of what you are comfortable with tool wise. That is why, just like in any other trades, you choose the tool that will best suit your needs. You will find + and - in every software regardless.

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini
Vegas Pro 16, User since Vegas 3.0

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Feb 28, 2019 at 10:20:13 pm

Hi Bart,

This does address your specific question, however!

I have successfully moved to Resolve 15, which is doing everything I need and much more. With that said I have also keep my foot in the fire with Vegas Pro from VP12, through the current VP16 and with the latest build 361 have had very few stability issues, considering because I am producing in Resolve now, my work with Vegas has just been to support others and a few friends. So I am just tinkering with it. That will go on for a while, but when they introduce VP17 I most likely will not upgrade.

I would assume you have been doing a lot of research and trying various settings to get VP16 to work smoother for you. I see in another post here, you are asking about systems specs contemplating a hardware upgrade. As I'm sure you are aware, the development of upgrades, like VP16, are based more on the current class of CPU's and GPU's, and as the features grow, so does the requirement for hardware, and sooner or later our older hardware systems just will not cut it to run the latest and greatest software.

Although my current system (see the specs in my profile) seems quite adequate for my current purposes with both Vegas Pro and Resolve, It is about 3-4 years old technology and I will most likely be looking at another upgraded system with 1-2 years.

So I'm wondering if your issues with VP16 are with VP16 specifically or could they also have much to do with your computer and if you go to Premiere will it perform well or also show signs of straining on you old box?

I'm sure you have considered all this, just offering an opinion which may or may not be of any value. On the other hand if you haven't already posted your issues with Vegas Pro here and would like some opinions, as you know, they are at least worth everything you pay for them!!

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Bart Francis
on Feb 28, 2019 at 11:10:33 pm

Hi George
Thanks for your advice.

This seems to happen every time I upgrade. I get terrible stalls and delays etc. Eventually, I figure out what is the problem. Last time (ver 15) someone helped me by telling me to turn off "close media files when not active" https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/1021165

This time what happens is that if I only have one video and audio on timeline, it works fine.
But I usually need to stack 3 other long audio files and sync them (other mics, recording comedy audiences)

Once I do that, forget it. When I first hit the space bar, I might have to wait 60 seconds or more before it will start. Then it gets a bit better BUT still will stop for 30 seconds almost any time I move the curser at all.
To be clear, I have multiple video clips and then 3 dig audio files that are 3-4 hours long, maybe 250 mb each. It appears that my cpu is usually at 85% when this happens.

When I first upgraded it was usable but still had a lot of these stalls, I'm pretty sure it's since I've added 2 more audio files is when it went south.

- rebooted a million times
- I removed all plugins
- I completely removed and reinstalled vegas 16 into a fresh subdirectory

- I've tried cutting everything down so the file is only about 5 minutes (only one of the 4 gig videos) and the 3 additional audio files (they are a full 4 hours long, I'd have to cut them into pieces for them to be smaller) When I do this I remove everything from the timeline so it's just the 4 files.

- I've tried to recreate this from a fresh file in case of corruption. When I put the video file in... everything is fine. When I put any of the other audio files in it gets worse and worse. not sure if that means my cpu can't handle it.

My computer Intel Core i7-6700k CPU @ 4.0 ghz 4.01ghz
but I have 24 gb of ram
63 bit OS windows 10 home

I do appreciate any suggestions.

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Feb 28, 2019 at 11:19:24 pm

Bart, seems like the audio is slowing things down, out of curiosity what are the audio formats?

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Bart Francis
on Feb 28, 2019 at 11:23:51 pm

2 are mp3 and 1 is wav
the video/audio file from camera is .mov

thanks

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Feb 28, 2019 at 11:41:50 pm

Have you noticed a slow down difference between the mp3, mov and wav audios? Have you tried converting them all to constant bit rate wav? Of course this will make the mp3 larger in file size, but may play smoother and faster.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Bart Francis
on Mar 1, 2019 at 12:40:27 am

George you are the best!

Thank you, thank you, thank you thank you!
After transferring them to all Wav's it's made a big difference.

I'm still needing to upgrade my rig and consider moving to premier but, at least It's not an emergency now 😉

thanks again

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Mar 1, 2019 at 12:52:49 am

Hi Bart, I'm really happy that has made a difference. Variable frame rate video is hard on NLE's, but often we never have huge multiples of audio, so it rarely comes up. So with your results, I have also learned if I get into that type of project. Thank You for getting back to us with your results and Good Luck on getting a new PC and learning Premiere.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Dimitrios Papadimitriou
on Mar 1, 2019 at 4:04:35 am

I pay for after affects but I've been thinking of just getting everything, mainly because 90% of the work I apply for wants you to use adobe. I would rather use vegas, and I guess I still can for anything that doesn't require someone wanting to be able to edit your project file. But freakin adobe.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]