MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Inconsistent brightness or colour.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
james spicer
Inconsistent brightness or colour.
on Feb 13, 2019 at 10:21:37 pm

I posted a thread not long ago but wanted to start a new one fresh.

I was hoping someone could answer on the way Vegas handles brightness etc.. Here are the things I've noticed editing video:

The Vegas preview window shows a brighter image than i get playing a rendered .mp4 in windows media player & VLC, the colours look correct in those players with that file type. But..

An uncompressed .avi from Vegas shows brighter in windows media player than in VLC. Why? Graham mentioned in my other thread that VLC is crushing the blacks, but to me media player is showing it looking wrong.

x264 .avi rendered video from Vegas looks bright no matter what player i play the file in. This i do not understand either.

Lastly, if i take a snapshot in the Vegas preview window and view it outside of Vegas, it looks bright like the preview window, if i import it back into Vegas and render it with the video in .mp4 it looks like it should to me (not over bright) in either media player or VLC. Is that normal?

How do i get consistency here? I've been confused with this. Hoping someone can explain or tell me how i can easily get past this.

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
Re: Inconsistent brightness or colour.
on Feb 13, 2019 at 11:09:26 pm

First you should not use preview window for color grading - but I have previously used Preview Levels in Sony Vegas Pro 13!

There is a German who has made a small dll file - for Sony Vegas Pro 12/13 - which makes it a little easier - here you can choose between Original - Pc - Tv! Original shows 16 - 235 PC shows 0 - 255 - TV shows how it will typically look on an LCD TV - here you can also change the settings! The advantage here is that when you render / export - it automatically switches back to Original!

I have attached Preview Levels - see my video back from 2015 - how easy it is to "install"

Antares PreviewLevels for Vegas 12

file:///I:/Harddisk%20C/Temp/PreviewLevels_1_2/PreviewLevels_readme_en.html

Sony Vegas Pro 12 / 13 Preview Levels

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=7kyHxDZ0VL4

• Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
    on Feb 13, 2019 at 11:23:09 pm

PreviewLevels for Vegas 12 / 13

https://f1.creativecow.net/13111/13111

Return to posts index

james spicer
    on Mar 8, 2019 at 11:44:54 am

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes i already have this extension which i got recently as suggested by someone else.

The problem is also the rendered video, AVC mp4 is the only thing that comes close looking like the original file, and if i use the preview levels set to PC it does look close to the original file (as i see in VLC) in the preview window.

If i render to AVC mp4 and view the video in VLC, the colours are still not 100% the same as the original video, it's close but i can see that reds are a bit brighter for example. If i render to most other formats then it comes out looking too bright in VLC, much the same as viewing the "original" setting with preview levels in the preview window.

So that extension is pretty much only good for rendering to AVC mp4, even then the colours aren't exactly the same as what's seen in the rendered file, it's close however.. and I'm getting tired of trying to figure this out so i might have to just go with this, and then use levels fx if rendering to most other codecs.

Looks like I'll have to make do with close enough, rather than exact.

Return to posts index

james spicer
    on Mar 8, 2019 at 11:48:17 am

"even then the colours aren't exactly the same as what's seen in the rendered file"

Correction, aren't exactly the same as what's seen in the original file.

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
    on Mar 8, 2019 at 2:30:53 pm

Hi James

Tom Brady posted this a while back but it's still relevant.

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=56262#entry372768

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz
    Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
    Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini
    Vegas Pro 16, User since Vegas 3.0

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]