MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Photoslide show video quality starts to blur out after 28mins 29 secs

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren Goh
Photoslide show video quality starts to blur out after 28mins 29 secs
on Feb 10, 2019 at 5:40:41 pm

Hi,

I'm creating a photo slideshow with music tracks, and i'm using the template "HD 1080-50i (1920x1080, 25.000 fps)", frame rate 25.000 (PAL).

I managed to render the video. The quality is good for the first 28 mins 29 seconds, and any photos after that timing is blur and poor quality.

All the photos that I have uploaded are in good quality. The total video length is 1hr 36mins.

I just can't seem to find where went wrong for the rendering.

I need help if anyone did experience this.

My PC specs:

Win 10 Pro
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
System Type x64-based PC
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.92 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.33 GB
Total Virtual Memory 12.2 GB
Available Virtual Memory 2.08 GB
Page File Space 4.32 GB

Adapter Description AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
Adapter RAM 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
Resolution 1920 x 1080 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
Re: Photoslide show video quality starts to blur out after 28mins 29 secs
on Feb 10, 2019 at 6:02:54 pm

Create a selection area from where the problem begins on the timeline, 28 mins or so, and render out maybe 5 or ten minutes from there and see what happens? Same problem? Or no problem?

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Feb 10, 2019 at 6:55:30 pm

Hi Darren,

Does the blur occur suddenly, or gradually? If it is suddenly I would suspect you have placed an FX on the track or project level. Although it could also be an FX that has been animated, but I would think you would have remembered doing that.

I would go to Preferences > Video tab and change 'GPU acceleration of video processing' to 'Off' and try another render, either full or as Paul suggest just a region past the 30 minute point.

Although probably not, it could be a heat issue.

Are your stills jpg, png, or tiff? Just curious it shouldn't make any difference.

Also can you post here screenshots of your Project Properties and Render Format Template settings.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Darren Goh
on Feb 11, 2019 at 2:11:30 am

Hi George,

My replies are as follow:

Does the blur occur suddenly, or gradually? If it is suddenly I would suspect you have placed an FX on the track or project level. Although it could also be an FX that has been animated, but I would think you would have remembered doing that. (Darren's reply: The blur occurred gradually when it starts to fade off to the next photo; I use the "Cut-to-overlap conversion (seconds)" option for all my photos. In addition, I didn't use any FX but just the overlap of pictures. )

I would go to Preferences > Video tab and change 'GPU acceleration of video processing' to 'Off' and try another render, either full or as Paul suggest just a region past the 30 minute point. (Darren's reply: I can't find the "GPU acceleration of video processing" under the Preferences > Video tab. I'm using Sony Vegas Pro 9.0, and where to find it?)

Although probably not, it could be a heat issue. (Darren's reply: I hope not, maybe I'll open up the PC casing just in case; I did try to observe the GPU utilisation in the task manager, and I don't see any high usage via the graph).

Are your stills jpg, png, or tiff? Just curious it shouldn't make any difference. (Darren's reply: jpg)

Also can you post here screenshots of your Project Properties and Render Format Template settings.

Project Properties:

General Preferences:

Editing Preferences:

Render As Video Settings:

Render As Project Settings:

Darren

Return to posts index

Darren Goh
on Feb 11, 2019 at 1:28:46 am

Hi Paul,

I just did what you suggested. I selected around 5mins of that timeline where the blurriness started around 28mins 29secs, and the rendered 5mins video looks good in quality as what I wanted.

Hence, no problem for that selected rendered timeline. 😄

Darren

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Feb 11, 2019 at 3:37:05 am
Last Edited By Paul Berk on Feb 11, 2019 at 3:38:51 am

First, just for the record, make sure you have enough disc space to fit the renders you are doing. Low disc space can do funny things. As suggested above, CPU temp should be watched too .. but generally if things get too hot, the PC will simply shut down.

I see your project properties. I suggest you TURN OFF 32 bit floating point unless you really know what you are doing with it. Use 8 bit.

You should match your project properties to your render. You are rendering at 1440 x 1080 but your project is 1920 x 1080 .. Why not render at 1920 x 1080? Or change your project properties to 1440 x 1080. That's my opinion.

But this does not account for why your render went blurry at 28 min. I would have thought something was wrong at 28 min to account for the image going blurry .. but you say everything renders fine at that point when rendering a loop region of about 5 min.

So ... I'm perplexed .. Even with Vegas 9, this should not happen. But finding out the reason may be very time consuming.

IF it was me, I'd render the first 20 min or so as an MXF file that matches the project properites (MXF is essentially lossless). IF that part is OK, I'd render the next 20 min and so on until you have the entire timeline rendered in sections. IF all of the sections are ok, then you can assemble the sections into the full length timeline and render that to the format you want for the final output. If that works, your loss of quality will be minimal, and this method might be faster than attempting the entire timeline over and over again hoping it will complete ok. Normally I work in sections. Long timelines have many disadvantages, especially when it comes to making changes later.

I just finished a 4 1/2 hour piece. It was rendered in MXF sections as I suggested above. There were two parts, both over 2 hours in length. Each part had about 10-12 MXF files. I had no problems rendering as a 1920 x 1080 MP4 file. From there the piece was rendered as a Digital Cinema Package. Ultimately we screened the piece at an iPic theater on a 50 foot screen. It looked amazing. I was expecting a huge loss of quality with all the rendering generations from the original. But things looked as good as on my editing room monitor.

Return to posts index

Darren Goh
on Feb 11, 2019 at 1:33:25 pm

Hi Paul,

I realised that mistake of mine where my project settings and render settings don't tally. I've changed it.

For my disc space, i have 63GB free in my C drive where Vegas is installed. The video is being rendered and stalled in another drive with 1TB space. I hope that's enough.

I'll follow your method of rendering 20 mins of video as MXF followed by combining those 20mins as SONY AVCHD format or as MXF format.

I'll also use 8 bit instead of 32bit. Just managed to learn about this when you mentioned about it. Thanks!

With regards to the blurriness, I'm confused too. I did tried out again where I corrected the rendering settings to be the same as the project settings, and rendered the whole 1hr 38mins video as a whole, but it still turned out not very clear with a bit of blurriness after 28mins.

It may be that my computer is not good enough.

Darren

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Feb 11, 2019 at 4:37:58 pm

Hi Daren,

Paul has given you some excellent advice. This is what I think may make an improvement on your project, although not all will necessarily cure the 30 minute point blurs, and some of it the same as Paul has pointed out.

In project properties - Definitely go to 8 bit pixel format, there is nothing to gain in 32 bit floating for your project. If you are going to view this video on Youtube/internet or on a flat screen TV from a thumbdrive or home network, I would change the Field Order to 'None - progressive'.

In Render As - Again as Paul suggest match the frame size to your original project '1920 x 1080'. Change the frame per second to also match your project at 25 PAL fps. I assume you are in Europe or a PAL country, however if you are in North America or Japan, change all the FPS setting from 25 PAL to 29.970 (NTSC) both in the Project Settings and in the Render Format Template. Also, I would change Render Format and use either Mainconcept AVC, or even better if you have an option for Sony AVC (I'm not familiar with version 9 but you should have those two options). A note below concerning Paul's suggestion for sub-render section to MXF follows. Also, as you have it now uncheck 'Allow source to adjust frame size' and 'Allow source to adjust frame rate'.

Mainconcept AVC and Sony AVC render formats will produce a file with a .mp4 extension. These do well for viewing on the internet, your computer, or a flat screen TV that does progressive. The only reason you would need interleave 'upper field first' field order is if you were going to put this on a DVD.

NOTE: A good practice is to always set the Project Properties to the source video media. However when doing a slideshow, which of course consist of all stills, the stills do not have video properties such as field order or frame rate, so they will work in just about any properties. In this case we are setting the Project Properties to best fit the delivery format.

There is a possibility that something, mostly likely a still or combination of stills, has caused some corruption in your project and it appears at that 30 minute mark. Breaking down your renders into sub-renders and using an intermediate render format, as Paul suggest, may lead to a complete success, or at least identifying a part of your project that may be causing some corruption. BTW, I would not render with AVCHD to do this rather use MXF as Paul suggest, as that will provide the least amount of quality loss. Then when you put all those prerenderd sections together for the final render I would switch to using Mainconcept AVC or Sony AVC. Both will provide great quality for viewing.

I hope all this helps rather than being confusing or misleading.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Feb 11, 2019 at 5:05:16 pm

George ... Thanks for your post .. spot on ... I'm far from expert on rendering ...

Question for George or anyone: Would "disable resample" on all those stills be a good thing in this case?

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Feb 11, 2019 at 6:04:54 pm

Hi Paul,

Thank You for the kinds words, and good catch. Yes, I always 'disable resample', and would suggest that Darren also make that change. I have a script that will run through all the timeline events and set them to 'disable resample', but cannot remember where I got it. It would probably worth looking at 'Tools' > 'Scripting' to see if it is listed.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Feb 11, 2019 at 8:43:10 pm

Just for the record ... In V12 (oldest version I have loaded) you can do:

Select all images on timeline (not the audio), right click, Switches/disable resample

Not sure you can do this in V9

In VP16, you can set disable resample in the project properties.

Return to posts index

Darren Goh
on Feb 12, 2019 at 10:40:23 pm

Hi Paul and George,

It's my first time using MXF format, and thank you for introducing it to me.

George, thanks a lot for the explanations on the formatting and the good practices.

And I did followed your advice, and the 1h 38mins video is working good with quality!

Learnt a lot from both of you. I'm just at the beginning! ☺

Thank you very much!

Darren

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Feb 12, 2019 at 11:31:00 pm

Good to hear evreything is working out Darren. There is a learning curve, but it will probably pickup and go quickly. But every once in a while we stumble on something that takes a lot of time to work out, so don't hesitate to rattle our chain in the future if you need us, and as time goes on, you will get to the point you can pass on tricks and methods to us.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]