MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

videos on YouTube they are strongly pixelated a few seconds

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Webb
videos on YouTube they are strongly pixelated a few seconds
on Dec 23, 2018 at 9:46:14 am

Hello

It's been over a week since I tried to fix a bug related to rendering a video before post in on YouTube unsuccessfully

You're my last hope

Here is the problem :

I make my last video and after watching it render in 1080p, the video are perfect.

But…

When I publish my videos on YouTube they are strongly pixelated a few seconds and then become normal again, this happens several times during the video (even on passages that has no effect).

This bug only appears in some qualities. Indeed in 1080p and in 360p it does not exist. The strangest thing : when I record my video in 1080p (without bug) with the software Obs studio on my screen and that I published this recorded video on YouTube, the bug are always present. While it is done from a perfect screenshot.

I conclude that the problem comes from the rendering of Sony Vegas itself.

For information: I tried thirty different rendering style with many different settings and video formats (.mov .MP4. Avi ...) without success

I use different plug-ins on my software such as Sapphire, BBC, newBlue fx and universe.

Here is a link to a problematic video.

You can notice in 480p, that regularly pixelated video but not in 360p or 1080p

Thank you for taking the time to read me

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
Re: videos on YouTube they are strongly pixelated a few seconds
on Dec 24, 2018 at 8:23:55 pm

Hi Max

It would help if we had some more info. Are you running Windows, Mac or Ubuntu. What version ? What version of Vegas do you have ?

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini
Vegas Pro 14, User since Vegas 3.0

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 26, 2018 at 12:22:01 pm

It looks like a bitrate problem. The pixelation is right at the point where a lot of things are changing in the scene. The encoder is having a hard time because of the way inter-frame video is compressed. It is actually lossy meaning it will loose data to maintain the bit-rate it has been asked to use. There is a full frame (I-Frame) every so may frame (usually 15 frames but it's adjustable) and the frames in between are predictive and delta frames (P & D-Frames) that contain only the changes since the last I-Frame. When a scene changes drastically on a delta or predictive frame, too much information is needed to represent the new image so the picture looks pixelated in those frames until either enough delta frames pass to reflect the change or an I-Frame is encountered which is a complete refresh of the image. Things like smoke, rain, or explosions cause enough change in the scene to make the encoder run out of bits and start pixelating. It's not something under your control. Perhaps a better encoder would do a better job but perhaps not. Either way you are at the mercy of YouTube to encode it so you don't get a choice. At some point it's a physical impossibility to represent the image within a given bitrate because too much of the image is changing at the same time.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Max Webb
on Dec 26, 2018 at 8:16:24 pm

Hi,

Thanks for you replies

For information: I use "Sony Vegas Pro 13" on "Windows 10" and after check i think my logiciel and his plug-ins are up to date.

After seen your reply John, I think also the problem come from the enconding and not from the sony Vegas rendering

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 27, 2018 at 3:52:54 pm

Yea, if you look at where it's getting pixelated, it's right after the trail of stars makes a circle which causes the entire frame to need an update and then your text is constantly moving which causes a fair amount of localized change which eventually clears up as it repeats the pattern of it's movement but the background isn't static either so you have 3 things going on at once that is driving the encoder crazy! lol 😉

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Dec 28, 2018 at 1:25:45 pm

Hi Max

Yes, John has it right. The Youtube encoding is the culprit. There is however a workaround that sometimes works (don't ask me why sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't, I have no clue)

Regardless of your project settings, try rendering the same video that you posted as if it was a 4K. Make sure that your render settings are at the max quality.

Making Youtube believe that it is a 4K file may just be the ticket in order to fool it.

Cheers...and Bonne Chance !

Return to posts index

Max Webb
on Dec 29, 2018 at 9:07:07 am

After that it still intrigues me, because on some render the video bug, while the relevant passages have no effect (there are fx on the video, but not on passages with bug)

Ex: At the beginning, and at ....
This pixelizes a lot while there is no effect.

I think like you that the problem is related to YouTube, but it still intrigues me ^^^

PS : thank you Francois , I will try the rendering in 4k thank you;)

Return to posts index

Daniel Duvivier
on Jan 2, 2019 at 4:00:23 am

Hey, did you have any progress?

''This bug only appears in some qualities. Indeed in 1080p and in 360p it does not exist.''

Thats shocking because this is exact what happening with my video. It looked perfect after rendered, but when I upload it to Youtube (two days ago) it looked poor in 480p and less. There's a lot of pixelated parts, also during transitions.
I tried a lot of things.

I dont know whats going on-getting desesperate already.

Return to posts index

Max Webb
on Jan 2, 2019 at 6:17:03 pm

Hi Daniel, after some research and test it seams that the bug are less present when you make a 2K or a 4K but he still here.

Return to posts index

Max Webb
on Jan 2, 2019 at 6:20:35 pm

Hi Daniel, after some research and test it seams that the bug are less present when you make a 2K or a 4K but he still here.

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Jan 7, 2019 at 1:07:58 am

Hi Max

If your video is going to be uploaded on Youtube try encoding your ''UHD'' video at a bitrate of between 30 and 35Mbits. Beyond that, I think that what you'll gain in detail is not apparent anymore.

I believe that Youtube will convert it to h265 (so that it will have a smaller file without loss of details). In general, Youtube caps video speed for UHD at 14Mbits in h265 (equivalent to 30Mbits in h264) . That's why I think it's useless to make your h264 video beyond 35Mbits .

A file with a high bitrate will have more information that will be useful for calibration. Bare in mind that if you know that you won't need to colour correct in post, then you can shoot at a lower bit rate.

When you have a file with more information, your corrections on the video will suffer less. For example; if you increase the exposure when you have shadows, you will have less noise. Remember that you do not want to post-process a compressed file because the compression artifacts might throw off what you are trying to accomplish with the post-processing.

By the way, you have 2 choices to prepare for edit, either:

You colour correct and touch up all your videos, you render and with these renders you edit. I recommend this method if you have a lot of video (say more than 90 min. of video) or, you do all of your editing and once finished, before rendering, you calibrate your videos with the tools that are included with Vegas Pro or compatible plugins. Personally, I use the latter. Note that I do the calibration last (after editing) because playing pre-calibrated videos will make your computer sweat (unless you have a killer wizbang machine) .

Hope I haven't bored you with to many details...

P.S.: If someone wants to add (or correct me) please fell free ! Even my wife says I'm not perfect....

Cheers !

Return to posts index

Max Webb
on Jan 8, 2019 at 11:06:00 am

Thank you Francois for this very detailed answer, I will try all of this.

Return to posts index

Brock Suska
on Apr 8, 2020 at 2:15:11 pm

Hi John, you seem to know a lot of video compression things, so I thought I'd reach directly out to you. I'm wondering if you had any insight into how to get YouTube to stop pixelating videos on transitions. I've been posting videos for my company for years, and this hasn't always been the case. For years this was never an issue and actually it seemed fixed about a year ago for a short time. It just drives me nuts to spend so much time creating a piece only to have it look horrible from the YouTube encoders. I can't believe YouTube has this issue when so many other sites (Vimeo, Facebook, SmugMug, our Corporate Intranet) do not. I can upload the exact same hi res mp4 file to this sites and they look perfect when posted. Furthermore, when I see a new video posted from big companies (like movie trailers) it doesn't seem they suffer from the same pixelation issues? How are they pulling this off? Almost like they've figured out different settings for their uploaded videos that allows YouTube to not massacre it. I've tried everything, high data rate H.264 videos, videos encoded out of Handbrake, videos encoded out of Adobe Media Encoder, MPEG 2 videos, and ProRes videos. The ProRes codec seems to do a better (not perfect) job. As a plea, I'm just looking for some possible way to encode my videos so they don't suffer this YouTube pixelation. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]