MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Any Tips For Getting Vegas To Run Faster?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hunter Madden
Any Tips For Getting Vegas To Run Faster?
on Sep 29, 2018 at 5:36:13 pm
Last Edited By Hunter Madden on Sep 29, 2018 at 5:38:53 pm

Hello there everybody. I am currently in the midst of editing a very large project and Vegas has slowed down dramatically... I believe that i am up to over a thousand text documents alone now with a large number of pictures and moving background video. And currently it takes Vegas about 3-5 seconds to create a new document and about 10 for changes made to that document to appear and for me to get my computer mouse back.

Is there anything i can do to make Vegas run a bit faster so that the length of this isn't increased due to Vegas? Currently my CPU is at about 20% usage whilst my memory, with Google and various tabs open sits at 80%, though it drops to 30% without Google... Any tips to help with this? Thanks!

P.S. Any tips for creating subtitles would be appreciated. As of now, i simply copy and paste a text document over and over, editing each one for each word said, very very slowly.

PC Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz
MOTHERBOARD: Hewlett-Packard 198E (SOCKET 0)
Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Any Tips For Getting Vegas To Run Faster?
on Sep 29, 2018 at 8:32:05 pm

"Is there anything i can do to make Vegas run a bit faster"
Sorry, nothing you can do with the system that you currently have gonna make
any significant difference.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Hunter Madden
on Sep 29, 2018 at 8:33:47 pm

Thanks.

Gonna upgrade in the future, any specific hardware i should be aiming for?

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Sep 30, 2018 at 4:34:44 am

Optimizing vegas has been discussed in several other threads over the years. The quick of it would be:

• 8x cores+, however more freq seems to make vegas more responsive than more slower cores.

• 16-64GB of single rank ram, depending on the amount of memory channels your MB has available. These days, I would start with 16GB DIMMs vs 8GB. If your motherboard has dual channel ability, use 2x 16GB single rank vs 4x cheaper 8GB DIMMs.

• Verify your memory bandwidth with "WinSAT mem" from an admin command prompt. Dual or quad channel ddr4 you should see 25-50+ GB/s. Memory channels and memory bandwidth is where you start to see the advantage of the Xeon class hardware. Cost generally prices most out of Xeon hardware, but don't worry a standard desktop with good memory bandwidth will function well.

• Nvme drives for both Boot and project working.

• Use spinning disk for archive or project holding space. Always backup to something else, tape still the most reliable, but utilizing something like "windows storage spaces" in a mirror mode or the built in OS RAID 1, plus an external back up would work too. For example get 2x 4TB+ drives and mirror them with one of the RAID 1 technologies, and format them REFS. Then copy your project on and off the NVME working volume as needed. Then back up your 4TB drive to another external as needed.

• Load your OS (win10) UEFI boot

• GPU - depending on your MB and version of Vegas you will be using, you want to look for a GPU with high OpenCL compute speed, and support for NVENC (vegas 15+). 8GB+ of on board GPU ram, here again selecting the GPU with broadest memory interface and highest onboard memory bandwidth. Support for these functions allows the CPU/Vegas to offload higher math to hardware that can do it faster.

• Display port to your monitors running the latest version. Display port still has the most bandwidth for throwing pixels and color depth to screen. The DisplayPort cabling version/standard needs to match the interfacing on your monitors and GPU.

Hardware changes so fast that by the time you go to buy something, specific hardware recommendations will be dated.

Return to posts index

Hunter Madden
on Sep 30, 2018 at 10:43:41 am

Thank ya. I'm going for a bit of an Overpowered and stupidly expensive PC. And any corrections to what is currently below would be greatly appreciated, though i'm pretty sure that everything below is stupidly powerful, more so than what i would need for Vegas. But i'm not quite sure.

What I'm Aiming For:
CPU: Dual Intel Xeon Gold 6138 20-Core
MOTHERBOARD: Supermicro X11DAI-N Dual
GRAPHICS: (X2) 24GB NVIDIA Quadro P6000 {Not sure if i should spend the extra 5Grand on a third card for the system}
RAM: 1TB SUPERMICRO DDR4 2666MHZ (16x64GB)

OS on RAID 0 with x2 4TB Samsung 860 SSD's
Storage bay set to RAID 5 with x5 10TB Seagate BarraCuda Pro Drives

Really overpowered and i'm guessing most definitely more powerful than i'm ever going to need. But it'll be an investment that lasts me a long time (Knock On Wood).

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Sep 30, 2018 at 6:04:34 pm

Here are some of the issue I see with that config:

16XDIMMS - the CPUs only have 12 memory channels. You want to find out how that board handles memory inserted in to the system, this will determine the number of DIMMs you need.

Dual CPUs might seem like the ultimate, but for Vegas you may want to play around with limiting your instance to a single CPU with affinity. I am pretty sure the Vegas developers do not test Vegas on such high end hardware. When you get into dual CPUs, you are looking at running software that is application specific and is coded to be optimized to run on that hardware. Windows will give Vegas the threads and resources, but the application code may not be optimized to handle it correctly.

Multiple GPUs - Yeah I guess if you have that kind of money to invest, and another application that needs it. Resolve will likely utilize the multiple GPUs, not so sure the Vegas code is up to speed to utilize multiple GPUs. I guess if you are planning on running say 3 4K monitors at high color depth then multiple GPUs would pay off. If you have a 3D rendering work load that can utilize multiple GPUs, then yes as well.

Storage - If you have xeon level cash to toss at this problem, you should really do some research on the differences between SATA, SAS, and NVME. With such a high end configuration, you would want to follow my workflow idea of using separate archive and working storage. Working storage would be something like an Intel 750 SSD, and the OS on an 970Pro M.2. Then back up your system regularly to an LTO-8, or multiple offline external HDDs formatted REFS. Multiple external HDD, because those suckers come up dead or bit corrupted over time.

Raid is not dead, but in a SSD world, backup is better. NVME is faster than raid on SATA, and you want the lowest latency storage possible with all the memory bandwidth speeds across the rest of the system.

I forgot to add that up to Vegas 14, I cant speak to 15 and 16, media codecs and formats matter in Vegas. Media formats in Sony MXF formats seems to be more stable and optimized. Other formats like mov and avid codecs do not seem to work as well in Vegas. Even still image formats can make a difference when dealing large amounts of them.

Just some of my thoughts.

Return to posts index

William Mann
on Aug 4, 2019 at 4:35:50 pm

Hi Aaron,
In your recommendations for performance you said "Nvme drives for both Boot and project working"
I only have one Nvme slot & one SATA - which one should I put the OS & Software on? For the other to have the project media.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Aug 4, 2019 at 6:50:25 pm

NVME for the OS.

SATA for the working or project media.

If your OS NVME is large enough to work your project from, try working your active project from the NVME drive. If your SATA drive is SSD and can saturate the interface speed, that will be about as good as you get.

If your system is a Desktop/workstation case, you may have a spare CPU SIDE 4x or 8X PCIe slot available to install an NVME to PCIe adapter, and host the additional NVME drive that way. Be careful installing any add-on card to any additional 16x slot, as this may cut your bandwidth to your GPU in half, as the add on card shares PCIe lanes.

The main reason you want NVME is the massive parallel I/O. SATA is a half duplex technology, where it can either be reading of writing, but not both at the same time. NVME can perform multiple reads and writes at the same time.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Oct 3, 2018 at 6:59:08 pm

Well in a nutshell, you are good to go.... The only thing is that Vegas is not as optimized/coded to make full
use of all that horsepower in that system, other better optimized software would. That's just how Vegas is.
But as i said, you are good to go!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Oct 4, 2018 at 3:10:05 pm

Might want to avoid the SuperMicro Motherboard and choose another.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-u...

Return to posts index

Hunter Madden
on Oct 4, 2018 at 3:24:59 pm

Any recommendations? Say a board that can handle all that hardware?

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Oct 4, 2018 at 3:55:26 pm

Maybe look at Intel, Asus, Gigabyte products? Not really sure, the issue apparently was discovered year and half ago, and they are only implicating Supermicro. Could be that we just do not know about the other manufacturers yet, since everything is made in China these days.

If you start seeing other large manufacturers recalling hardware/PCs in mass, that is a likely indicator.

If you hear of no other recalls or alerts, then probably it was limited to Supermicro.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]