MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Need he*lp please. Multiple veg files all part of same project and none will open

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Davis
Need he*lp please. Multiple veg files all part of same project and none will open
on Mar 16, 2017 at 4:14:56 pm
Last Edited By Erik Davis on Mar 16, 2017 at 4:46:22 pm

Hi,

Been a steady user of Vegas since 2008 and I have never had this problem. A project I did in February of 2016 in Vegas Pro 13 included as many as 12 different veg files; all representing different stages of work in the project. Now, a year later whenever I try to open any of these veg files they all open until 60%...the VEGAS CRASHES and poof closes.

I have tried turning off peak files and loading the project but no change. I have tried using all of the .bak files but no love. I have tried opening in Vegas 12 and Vegas 14 but no love. I have tried resetting all of the Vegas Pro 13 parameters to a reset default but no luck. I have tried opening Vegas 13 fresh and dragging the veg file into but it crashes almost immediately. I have tried renaming the project file folders to *old so as to hopefully bypass any corrupted media but still the crash at 60% even with that. I don't even make it to the media dialogue box that says media is missing and would I like to relink.

Never have I potentially lost all of my work before! I don't have any more ideas what to try next. Is there anything I'm forgetting?!

This is a "details" report on the crash but it doesn't look very helpful.

Problem Description
Application Name: Vegas Pro
Application Version: Version 12.0 (Build 770) 64-bit
Problem: Unmanaged Exception (0xc0020001)
Fault Module: C:WINDOWSSystem32KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Address: 0x00007FFF98B97788
Fault Offset: 0x0000000000017788

Fault Process Details
Process Path: C:Program FilesSonyVegas Pro 12.0vegas120.exe
Process Version: Version 12.0 (Build 770) 64-bit
Process Description: Vegas Pro
Process Image Date: 2013-11-20 (Wed Nov 20) 14:45:00

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Need he*lp please. Multiple veg files all part of same project and none will open
on Mar 16, 2017 at 4:48:28 pm

Ugh . . .

OK, open up a brand new VEG and save it as TEST.veg and close it. Will it reopen?

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Erik Davis
Re: Need he*lp please. Multiple veg files all part of same project and none will open
on Mar 16, 2017 at 4:50:18 pm

Hi Grazie,

Yes, I can do that and I can open any other project veg files no problem.

Erik

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Mar 16, 2017 at 4:56:36 pm

OK, try re-scanning your VST Folders.

Have you tried to bring in ONE of those stubborn Veggies as a NESTED Veg? - I'm not holding out any hope here.

Can you see/remember any of the "missing" Media? Have you replaced any Drives recently?

* Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Erik Davis
on Mar 16, 2017 at 5:00:34 pm

OK, try re-scanning your VST Folders.

****ACTUALLY I DON'T HAVE A CLUE HOW TO DO THIS.

Have you tried to bring in ONE of those stubborn Veggies as a NESTED Veg? - I'm not holding out any hope here.

*****YES I HAVE AND VEGAS WILL CRASH WITHIN SECONDS OF MERELY TRYING TO BRING IT IN TO VEGAS. IT DOESN'T EVER BEGIN TO LOAD REALLY.

Can you see/remember any of the "missing" Media? Have you replaced any Drives recently?

*****YES I CAN SEE ALL OF THE MEDIA BUT KEEP IN MIND WHEN I TRY TO OPEN THE PROBLEM VEG FILES, I DON'T MAKE IT TO THE MISSING MEDIA DIALOGUE BOX. I CRASH BEFORE I GET TO THAT.

THANKS, I'M NOT YELLING WITH ALL CAPS, JUST TRYING TO MAKE IT EASIER TO SEE MY RESPONSE.

Return to posts index

Erik Davis
on Mar 16, 2017 at 5:03:06 pm

Also, to your question of have I replaced any drives recently. I would say within the last year I have replaced my main media drive. I did this to get a larger drive going from 1TB to 2TB. I copied all the data over and didn't have any hiccups.

Erik

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Mar 16, 2017 at 5:35:38 pm

[Erik Davis] " I copied all the data over and didn't have any hiccups."
Well, I'd say that there are several links that have not been remade/recreated.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Tyson Onaga
on Mar 16, 2017 at 7:41:18 pm

If you know the media referenced by the .veg files, try moving them to a new directory. Vegas will ask for the missing media; add them one at a time, looking for a file(s) that exists but hangs Vegas (ie, the file is there but the data is corrupted).

Best.

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Mar 16, 2017 at 10:14:17 pm

THose are good suggestions above .. if nothing works ..

Did you use a 3rd Party FX which is currently not enabled?

Open the Veg in a text editor and compare to a normal veg that is opening ok. .veg files opened in a text editor contain a lot of nonsense characters, as you would expect, but there is a lot of readable info there as well. Your plugins and the usual Sony footer info are all there

Something has changed in your system since these veg files were created. Narrow it down. What changed? Are there any other veg files that you have that were created prior to changing your main drive that will open ok? OR not open ok?

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Mar 16, 2017 at 10:21:12 pm

More suggestions from researching the problem. These suggestions are mine. but who know .. .

Try rebooting your computer in Safe Mode, and then see if the problem veg file opens in Safe Mode - I did find that this was mostly successful, and I was able to copy/paste the timeline to a second opening of Vegas.

Another suggestion (which I read on this forum a while back) is to delete the .sfl files (including sfl0, sfl1) from your project folders via Windows Explorer, and then open the veg project. If this works, VP will recreate the .sfl files for all the media on the timeline on opening. It might be that an .sfl file is the problem.

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Mar 16, 2017 at 10:27:12 pm

One more suggestions .. I promise I'm done after this gem ...

Post one of the .veg files so someone can try it on another system. No media is needed. .veg files are generally small so should not be a problem to post it.

Return to posts index

Erik Davis
on Mar 17, 2017 at 6:07:55 am

Paul you are on the job! Thanks.

Your idea about emailing a veg got me thinking, Why not just try and open the veg on another computer. I did that and everything worked as expected! It couldn't find the media, etc. But it opened just fine. So the question now is what to do?

Not clear, but if I set all FX to bypass and save the veg will that eliminate possible fx problems?

Should I export an EDL or such and then try to build again?

Just try to resave it under a different name and try to open again on the offending computer?

Will let you know how it goes.
Erik

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Mar 17, 2017 at 4:05:36 pm

Glad I could help. You're on the right track. Let us know how it comes out and if you find out what caused the problem.

Return to posts index

Erik Davis
on Mar 17, 2017 at 4:11:38 pm

In the end, the only workable solution was to export an edl and then import it again into Vegas Pro 13. This worked pretty well as it relinked all my media. It did not bring in any of the keyframing or fx options. A pain that this info isn't included in the edl but better than starting over for sure.

Unfortunately, I don't know what the problem was though!

Thanks to everyone for the input!

Erik

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]