MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

FX1, Deinterlacing, 1080i, and Cineform NeoScene

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Norman Willis
FX1, Deinterlacing, 1080i, and Cineform NeoScene
on May 25, 2009 at 9:09:54 pm

Hello.

If this is not the right place to ask this, please just let me know what is.

I am still studying, trying to get ready for my first shoot. I have a Sony HDR-FX1 camera that records HDV in 1080i. I want to publish educational/documentary videos. I think probably 90% of the views will be online, and I hope to upload HD to YouTube, Vimeo, Veoh, MetaCafe and others. However, we also want to make things available in DVD (immediately), and if possible I would also like to burn to Blu-Ray, so I do not have to re-do anything later (if that makes sense).

I understand 1080i is not as good as 1080p, but it would be pulling teeth to upgrade my camera right now. I also bought the Cineform NeoScene Codec/converter, but have not had the opportunity to use it yet.

I did a Google search and got all sorts of advice about what format to shoot in, and whether to de-interlace or not. I thought I would ask it here, since it deals with Vegas Pro 8.1 and 9.0. If this is not the right place, please just let me know where to re-post.

I want to do my best job, but since I am just getting started I also do not want to cause myself any problems. Everyone raves about the 'film look' of 24p. Is it difficult to use/edit? I have my FX1 set to Cinematone, Cineframe 24 (which I think is 24p). Here are my questions:

Under PROJECT PROPERTIES > VIDEO, do I select:

HDV 1080-60i, 1440 x 1080, 23.976 fps? Or is it better just to go with 29.970 fps, and set my camera to Cineframe 30?

Also, when capturing in Vegas, do I de-interlace, or not de-interlace? There are all sorts of opinions out there on Google.

The three choices for de-interlacing I see under Project Properties are None, Blend Fields, and Interpolate Fields. My machine is a CoreDuo Quad at 3.0GHz, with Vista Ultimate 64, and 8GB RAM. I would prefer to lose as little resolution as possible.

Also, in Vegas 8.1, if I convert the captured footage using the Cineform NeoScene codec, do I uncheck OPTIONS > PREFERENCES >GENERAL > "Ignore third party DV codecs"? And where is this option in Vegas 9?

I am still studying, but if you could please help me get lined out in "pre", it would help me a lot.

Thank you,

Norman

http://www.nazareneisrael.org
Email: servant@nazareneisrael.org

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
Re: FX1, Deinterlacing, 1080i, and Cineform NeoScene
on May 26, 2009 at 1:24:05 am

>>Under PROJECT PROPERTIES > VIDEO, do I select:

HDV 1080-60i, 1440 x 1080, 23.976 fps? Or is it better just to go with 29.970 fps, and set my camera to Cineframe 30?

OK, I just realized that the Vegas option for 23.976 fps is 24p. Am I correct that I cannot use 24p, since my camera is 1080i?

I apologize for the ignorant questions, but I am very confused here, and am trying to figure things out. Any advice or help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Norman

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on May 27, 2009 at 5:27:44 am

I contacted Cineform. They told me to shoot in Cinematone 24, which will put 24p inside of a 60i shell. Then when I use the CineForm codec, it will extract the 24p.

So far so good. Now, does anyone know if Vimeo (and/or YouTube) will accept 24P HD?

Thank you,

Norman

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on May 28, 2009 at 12:58:31 am

OK, so no one is answering my posts.

I contacted Cineform, they said I should capture right into NeoScene. However, they said it is only compatible with the 32 bit version right now.

Just in case anyone is reading this, and finds it helpful.

Hopefully Cineform will come out with a 64 bit version soon.

Return to posts index

Marthinus Hattingh
on Oct 2, 2012 at 7:36:40 am

Hi Norman

Thank you very much I found your post very helpful, just got a FX1E for the same reasons as you did. How did your results with the Cineform Codec (extracting the 24p from the 60i ) turn out. I downloaded the software and will start experimenting myself.

Thank you

Kind regards

Marthinus

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]