MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Help! audio badly out of sync w/video!

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Wildgen
Help! audio badly out of sync w/video!
on Apr 23, 2008 at 6:01:51 pm

I have been using vegas(pro8.0) for close to year now to edit and convert long Business conferences(1 to 2 hours long) captured from a media server and then post them on an On-demand server for the Company I work for. For the last few weeks I have been plagued with programs that are in sync on the timeline but render 2-3 seconds out of sync!
I have tried different settings in the preferences, Sony tech said that the settings in prefrences need to be exactly the same as media on the timeline to render in sync. when I check the properties of the clip (right click on the clip and select properties, select general to view the properties of the clip? right?) I have tried several different settings on both preferences and the render as but it is still rendering out of sync!
What am I missing?
any help or suggestions are most appreciated

Tom

Tom Wildgen
WebCast Coordinator
WestLegalEdcenter

Return to posts index

Neil Sandow
Re: Help! audio badly out of sync w/video!
on Apr 24, 2008 at 11:10:28 pm

I'm having the same exact problem with Sony Vegas Pro 8.0b. I'm shooting in 24P 16:9 and my timeline is right on. When I check the project properties all the settings appear correct. I can render to wmv without incident. But when I render to mpg (Main Concept Mpeg-2, using the template for DVD Architect 24p NTSC widescreen video stream) I get sync problems in the VOB after running it through DVD Architect. Even the timeline in video architect is right on, but not the resulting vob. If I customize the mpeg by including the audio I end up with an mpg that has audio which lags a few seconds behind the video. I can also render fine to video for windows (avi) but the file is too large to be useful. What's up with the render to mpg???

Return to posts index

Edward Troxel
on Apr 25, 2008 at 1:55:19 am

Make sure your timeline is set to match your render settings (i.e. 24p)

Edward Troxel
JETDV Scripts

Return to posts index

Neil Sandow
on Apr 25, 2008 at 4:03:35 pm

On a lark I decided to try a render to mpg using the default template setting (29.97 fps) even though the clip was shot at 24P (advanced) and the timeline showed: 23.976 fps progressive, 720x480x24, DV (removing 2-3-3-2 pulldown)

I included audio in the render and this time the resulting mpg was in sync. Is my camera lying to me when I set it to 24p? (Panasonic DVX100b)

Return to posts index

Thomas Wildgen
on Apr 25, 2008 at 5:22:15 pm

I too have carefully checked that the timeline prefs are set the same as the media on the timeline. I still get out of sync renders. Some of my media I get from connection to a PolyCom system, Those files are all fine, it's the ones that were captured from our streaming media server (asf format) One of our providers has changed their output format to us to 24P. After I saw that; I tried to adjust the settings in the timeline prefs to match the media clip, I am still not able to get a render come out in sync!

Tom Wildgen
WebCast Coordinator
WestLegalEdcenter

Return to posts index

Thomas Wildgen
on Apr 26, 2008 at 12:03:07 am

another file that I have tried 4 times to get to render out in sync has in the clip preferences the video listed as:

Streams
Audio: 01:58:14.827, 32,000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo, Windows Media Audio 9.1
Video: 01:58:14.854, 29.970 fps progressive, 320x240x24, Windows Media Video 9

29.97fps progressive? is that my problem? what setting can i use in the timeline preferences to match it? anybody have this issue?
this Clip is 1hr 10 min long, it starts out in sync but after 8-10 minutes it is noticably out of sync.

Tom Wildgen
WebCast Coordinator
WestLegalEdcenter

Return to posts index

Rick Mac
on Apr 27, 2008 at 5:37:52 pm

Tom,

You can have Vegas automatically set your project settings to match your media. Here is how to do it.

1) Click on your project settings button, make sure that you
are on the video tab. Direltly across from your templates
box you will see three buttons, a floppy disk, a X, and a
folder. The folder is the button for "Match Media Settings"
Click on the match media button, and browse to a clip that
is of the type you want vegas to set it's project settings
to. Select the clip and click the open button. Now your
project settings will match your media.

2) Pull your media onto the timeline and edit.

3) Render project to the format that you need.

Now that being said, I don't expect this to fix your out of sync problems. I suspect that we have some file types and codecs that don't want to play nice with each other. I suspect that all is fine until you try to render your media to a different type of file. As an experoiment have you tried rendering your project out to the same file type as your captured media? If that renders out in sync then your project settings are not the problem and we must look closer at our render settings. Test that out and get back to me.

Regards, Rick.

Rick Mac
Director of Audio Production
TCT Network - Directv 377

Return to posts index

Thomas Wildgen
on Apr 28, 2008 at 4:49:49 pm

Rick,
thanks for the info on how to have vegas match the project settings to the media.
I tried it on a 1 hour clip and I still have audio about 3 or more seconds ahead of the video. It still looks in sync on the timeline.
One thing, the waveform on the audio line does not correspond to the audio I am hearing (using the computer speakers) but it still is in sync with the video. Is this a symptom?

Tom Wildgen
WebCast Coordinator
WestLegalEdcenter

Return to posts index

Rick Mac
on Apr 28, 2008 at 6:13:18 pm

[Thomas Wildgen] "One thing, the waveform on the audio line does not correspond to the audio I am hearing (using the computer speakers) but it still is in sync with the video. Is this a symptom?"

Very well could be a symptom. Sounds like your computer's soundcard is either running at a different audio sample rate than Vegas, or your soundcards internal clock is wacky.
I have seen where on some systems that the audio as you perseve it coming out of the computer speakers are in sync at the beginning of playing the project but quickly lag behind the picture after as little as 20-30 seconds.
Is this what is happening to you?

What kind of soundcard do you have and when you go into Vegas' prefrences audio tab, what device is chosen for output (playback)?

Regards, Rick.

Rick Mac

Return to posts index

Thomas Wildgen
on Apr 28, 2008 at 8:32:20 pm

Not really, I have acceptable sync (these are streamed archived business conferences, sometimes it is very hard to see lip sync if they never have a close-up of a speaker)I looked into what my preferences are set at however. the output device is listed as Microsoft sound Mapper .I assume that is the on-board sound card. if it plays back OK but renders out of sync is that the culprit?Is there a way to see what the sound sampling rate is?
I tried some different render settings again, I am going to let them "cook" tonight and i will see in the morning.

Tom Wildgen
WebCast Coordinator
WestLegalEdcenter

Return to posts index

Andrew Angle
Re: Video lags & races in rendered movie
on Dec 22, 2010 at 1:08:37 pm

The last 3 posts in this thread seemed most relevant to my situation UNTIL I realized that the separate music track that I inserted was in sync with the voice track included in the .TS file. If sync within the imported *.TS files had anything to do with it, wouldn't the separate .MP3 music file I imported be out of sync with the voice soundtrack from the original *.TS files?

In this case, the audio seems to be in sync with the original SVP timeline throughout the rendered movie, yet the video falls behind at a rate of 1 to 2 seconds per minute of rendered production. The video length is 12:34:58 (mm:ss:??). Around 11:30:00 into the movie, the video track is ~20 seconds behind where it should be according to the SVP preview timeline. Get this: the video speed during the last minute of the rendered movie then accelerates logarithmically to the point where it's playing double-speed fast-forward, finally catching up ultimately land at the correct point on the timeline's final frame.

I have tried different rendering settings, including having the movie's audio & video be identical to the original imported files. Same result.

Hardware:
Toshiba Satellite A505-S6005
Intel Core i3 CPU: M 330 @ 2.13GHz
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD version=8.15.10.1986

(PS: I really am evaluating the SVP software with intent to purchase IF it works with my hardware. I have used Windows Live Movie Maker with absolutely no rendering problems. Why now?)

Return to posts index

Rick Mac
on Apr 29, 2008 at 1:03:56 am

Thomas here is somthing to try.
This is from the Vegas help file.

Interpolate position
When check box is selected, the application will attempt to compensate for inaccurate devices by interpolating the playback or recording position. If you notice that your playback cursor is offset from what you are hearing, enable this option for the playback device.

Here's how to get to it.

Option/Prefrences/Audio Device Tab
Select Advanced button
Put a check in the "Interpolate Position" Box
OK.

I this helps all done.
If not you might also experiment with another setting
in your advanced audio box.

Position bias
If the position of playback or record does not match what you hear after you enable Interpolate position, you can attempt to compensate using the Position bias slider.

Moving this slider will offset the position forward or backward to compensate for the inaccuracies of the device.

Hope this helps. Let me know.

Regards, Rick.

Rick Mac

Return to posts index

Thomas Wildgen
on May 1, 2008 at 6:59:28 pm

Rick,
I want to thank you for the tips you passed along, the one about Matching settings button has been very helpful and has solved problems with a bunch of the files with sync issues.
However, the 2 files that prompted this thread are still problem children.
I have tried output in the same format as the media on the timeline and various other tries but the they are both still out of sync-badly.
Is there any "hidden info" that I can check or something that is not shown in the clip info that would affect the sync?
I have a question posted on the Sony help website as well.

Tom

Tom Wildgen
WebCast Coordinator
WestLegalEdcenter

Return to posts index

Rick Mac
on May 2, 2008 at 11:17:52 pm

Sorry Tom I don't have any other tricks up my sleeve.
Perhaps Sony Tech Support can help.

Regards, Rick.

Rick Mac

Return to posts index

Wendy L'Ecuyer
on May 20, 2008 at 8:50:40 pm

I've tried the Match Media Settings, and it sets the video preferences to NTSC DV 720 x 480 (which does indeed correspond to the aspect shown in the properties of the clips.) However, in both the timeline and the preview, the clips appear as if zoomed in on, so I have to manually set the preferences back to the NTSC video CD setting to have the whole clip appear.

Can you tell me why this is? And how will this affect the resolution if I render under NTSC DV?

Thanks.

:)

Return to posts index

Joseph Lansing
on Dec 22, 2009 at 3:12:12 am

It seems that all Sony editors have this problem. As odd as this sounds, I've noticed that bad synching seems to happen after I've expanded the tracks, then collapsed them again. I have no idea why this would make a difference but....

Joe Lansing

Return to posts index

Jean Robert
on Jan 16, 2010 at 1:53:56 am

I recently experienced this audio out of sync problem using Sony Vegas Platinum 9.0.

I imported a *.ts file generated by WinTV. (I am converting old VHS tapes to DVD format and inserting menus.) SVP imported the *.ts file well and on the SVP timeline, the audio/video were in sync. When I created the mpg/ac3 files for import to DVD Architect, the sync problem appeared. I tried different project/rendering specs without success. Finally, I downloaded (free) software that converted the *.ts file into a *.mpg (mpeg-2, I believe) file. When I imported this converted *.mpg file to SVP, the audio sync problem was clearly apparent on the timeline. To correct it, I stretched (in SVP) the audio tracks to match the video. I did this visually by picking a sharp noise with action toward the end of the video. The final result, in DVD Architect, was perfect.

I think the problem, in my case, arose from how SVP deals with *.ts files. I don't know if this is the same problem described above in this thread but I thought that I would post this here in the event others have an audio sync problem.

Return to posts index

Michael Najarian
Re: audio badly out of sync w/video!
on Jul 16, 2010 at 4:49:26 pm

Vegas Movie Studio 10 fixed this issue by simply not loading the Audio and/or Video tracks, vr 9 Still has issues and I am STILL looking for a resolution myself!

I am also looking for a way to sscroll my timelines manually when the audio is out of sync BUT simply displaced, The timeline SNAPs to a breakpoint and f8 shift-f8 cannot fix it!

Return to posts index

John Sellers
on Feb 8, 2011 at 8:47:18 pm

I'm not sure how you do it, but Studio 10 you can turn off the snap.

Return to posts index

Juan Alvarez
on Jul 1, 2011 at 7:11:00 pm

try rendering 32Khz instead of 48Khz audio and reply if OK or not

Return to posts index

Richard Uruchurtu
Free conversion .ts to .mpg
on Jan 31, 2012 at 7:28:00 pm

Which free software did you use for the conversion from .ts to .mpg?

Does it do high definition?

Return to posts index

Jean Robert
Re: Free conversion .ts to .mpg
on Apr 6, 2012 at 11:37:24 pm

Sorry, Richard. I can't remember. (At the time, I was converting old VHS tapes to DVD format.) It appears that this problem has been fixed with later versions of Sony Vegas Platinum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]