ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

need draft quality visually, but best quality accurate positioning

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin James
need draft quality visually, but best quality accurate positioning
on Jul 15, 2005 at 8:13:12 pm

Hey all,

I'm doing some "pixel" animations at broadcast res, to make some stuff look like fake video atari games. Anyway, all my elements look great, and just the way i want in AE when all of the layers are set to DRAFT mode. They are nice and sharp/crisp. The only problem is that, when in draft mode, the positioning of my elements isn't nearly as accurate as when they are in BEST mode...but BEST mode blurs the layers, and the "fake atari game" look is lost.

Does anyone know of a way that I can prevent my layers from being anti-aliased/blurred, but have them still position as accurately as possible. (draft mode just randomly shifts things a pixel or 2 in all directions)

thanks!

/ colin
/ http://www.pinknbrown.com

Return to posts index

Zarxrax
Re: need draft quality visually, but best quality accurate positioning
on Jul 15, 2005 at 8:16:23 pm

Not sure if it would work or not, but you could try rendering out your source files (without motion) in draft quality, then apply your motion to these with best quality.

Or you could also try the mosaic filter. That does a pretty good job at giving your footage a pixelly look.

Return to posts index

Ethan
on Jul 15, 2005 at 8:48:49 pm

Are you using vector or raster artwork?

If its vector (Illustrator, etc), try "collapsing transformations" on your vector artwork layers.

If raster (Photoshop, etc), make sure that the layer positions _always_ fall on whole pixels. Press "p" to open the layers position attribute and make sure there aren't any numbers to the right of the decimal point for the x and y values. Check this at every position key frame.

Return to posts index

Colin James
on Jul 15, 2005 at 10:07:35 pm

its all raster artwork...and they were all on whole number positions, and still offset a bit :( Even when the scale factor is 100%. any ideas?

/ colin

Return to posts index

Chris Smith
on Jul 15, 2005 at 10:19:53 pm

just so i understand, did you create a comp with a rediculously low res then nest that into a broadcast output comp?

Chris Smith
http://www.sugarfilmproduction.com

Return to posts index

Ethan
on Jul 15, 2005 at 11:25:33 pm

Are you doing any scaling or using a camera layer?

Return to posts index

Colin James
on Jul 16, 2005 at 12:03:35 am

Hey all, I hope this thread gets checked again on Monday ;)

Basically I've created all the pixel-art/atari elements very small in photoshop. Then i save a copy, and do an Image Size and scale the small image 2000 percent w/ Nearest Neighbor (faster) in the scaling options of pshop...so it retains the pixel's hard edges. Then i import the large photoshop files into AE, I scale them down and composite them in a broadcast res environment. The reason I make them large first is because when i scale them down it maintains the look, and I retain the freedom to do closeups, and long shots. Everything works perfect, except the SLIGHT inaccuracies in the placement of layers. Thats more important than usual in this project because they are characters and I'm bringing in separate poses for arms and legs etc. and sometimes there is a minisule, but visible separation between the arms/legs etc and the main bod, with draft mode enabled.

hope that made sense.

Return to posts index

Andrew Yoole
on Jul 16, 2005 at 1:20:41 pm

Seeing as how the objects already have the pixelated look you're going for, couldn't you just use "Best" quality, but add an adjustment layer with a harsh sharpening filter to hide the anti-aliasing?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kramer
on Jul 16, 2005 at 3:05:14 pm

Maybe you could use best quality then add a mosaic filter to everything that is very fine.

Interesting question.
Andrew

Return to posts index

Chris Smith
on Jul 16, 2005 at 7:06:47 pm

Have you tried not doing the scaling in PS and just scale up in AE while keping the rough settings on so it doesn't kick in Ant-alias. Just wondering if PS scaling is the culprit.

I would think you could still scale up and not "lose quality" because blocks are blocks when you are dealing with that low of a res.

Chris Smith
http://www.sugarfilmproduction.com

Return to posts index

jay ingles
on Dec 21, 2016 at 8:31:09 pm

I'm experiencing similar issues and would love a solution to "always fall on whole pixels". Is this possible?

For example, I've got a solid black shape in a low pixel white composition that is moving top to bottom. While the shape moves many frames have 50% gray tones when I require a binary solution.

Setting to draft mode appears to mess up the artwork more than my hope of having the shapes position fall on true pixels.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
on Jul 18, 2005 at 8:12:47 pm

I think what you are seeing is AE's attempt to subpixel position the layer. I thin your problem is not really an blur-upon-scale issue, but it *is* related to AE's attempt to position things at subpixel positions. Basically, as far as I know, AE does a bilinear interpolation when your image has moved to a non-integer amount of pixels.

Have you tried using an expression to round or truncate the pixel positioning when in best quality mode? (you'll have to ask the experts about how to do that, but I believe there is a round function in the scripting language).

Pete

Return to posts index

Colin James
on Jul 18, 2005 at 9:31:30 pm

Thats what I figured the problem was...it just turns out the problem happened in Photoshop when i scaled it up using Nearest Neighbor (faster) instead of in AE upon import. I am now just skipping the photoshop enlarging step, and just bringing them into AE 1:1 pixel...results are OK so far...not great (i still see a bit of pixel doubling here and there but its not TOO bad) ...

thanks to everyone for all your replies!

/ colin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]