ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Video to > Stop Motion Animation Look

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Productions
Video to > Stop Motion Animation Look
on Nov 28, 2006 at 7:39:49 pm

Hey guys!

So yesterday, as I was eating breakfast, I saw an ad in my town's newspapers that invited adults to participate to an stop motion animation contest. So I went to their site and the rules were pretty simple; we had to do an image-per-image animation that lasted for 3 minutes (maximum). That made me remember the good old days when I spent 7 hours straight doing animations with my little GI Joes for only 2 minutes of animation.

So, after reading the instructions I said to myself: " Wouldn't be cool if I could just record a video in 30 fps, then bring it in AE and, with some Time Effects or by changing the frame p/s, I could "transform" this video as if it were made with a still camera (stop motion animation) "?

After several attempts, none of this worked so I decided I'd give it a go on COW. (Oh and by the way, yikesmikes, if you read this, could you send me an e-mail to my e-mail account please? - Thx.)

I wouldn't call this cheating because, after all, doesn't mean I'll use my camcorder and AE. Maybe I'll do it in the old school way. I was simply wondering if this was possible in AE and how to do it.. and, who knows, maybe your solutions will be helpful for the newcomers who searches in the COW's Archives, since I didn't found an answer in it :

Thx for your time guys!

Justin Productions
Tangerin01@hotmail.com
Adobe After Effects 6.5 Professional

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
Re: Video to > Stop Motion Animation Look
on Nov 28, 2006 at 7:50:18 pm

If you shoot something that's moving, then it's not "stop motion". That would be cheating. :)

But if you want something like that for another application, shoot at a high shutter speed to eliminate motion blur and use time>posterize time to reduce the frame rate. That might work, but remember, stop motion often has a bit of irregularity to the motion. That would be hard to simulate.

Return to posts index

payton
Re: Video to > Stop Motion Animation Look
on Nov 28, 2006 at 7:51:52 pm

nobody would do stop motion if the action that is shown in the movie could be done simply by filming it with a videocamera. f.e. puppet animation, no way to record it in realtime.

every other thing that you can record in realtime will look like its perfectly animated.

one thing you can do is lowering your framerate. set the comp to the framerate of your choice. PAL people normally animate with 12,5 fps. dont know how they go in the NTSC world.

what do you want to show in your movie that should look like stop motion in the end?

payton

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]