ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Dan Ebberts marker triggered animation won't work with added actions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sergio Pol
Dan Ebberts marker triggered animation won't work with added actions
on Jul 31, 2020 at 2:20:42 pm

Hello, I searched the forums but couldn't find a similar post. I use a lot the expression compiled by Dan Ebberts to trigger animation by markers and I think it's awesome. However everytime I add actions to already set comps it just won't work. Say I have a character's head that I set up with some eye and mouth states. When first building the system it works fine but if later on I new to add new eye and/or mouth behaviours it just won't work. The expression seems to find an error since it sends the animation to keyframe 0 in that particular timeline. This also happens with other kind of setups not only characters. Sometimes I remove the time remapping, apply it again, paste the expression again and it works but other times I'm stuck with the same problem. Restarting After Effects and even the PC doesn't solve it either.

I'm sure others are experiencing this issue since I've had it in different PC's on different system installations and AE versions. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
Re: Dan Ebberts marker triggered animation won't work with added actions
on Jul 31, 2020 at 4:09:48 pm

Hey Sergio, any chance to get a glance to occurring error?

Find out more:
Motion Graphics Design & After Effects Tutorials
On YT
On VH

Return to posts index

Sergio Pol
on Jul 31, 2020 at 4:26:36 pm

Hi Tomas, thanks for taking time to help me. This is silly, I kept trying solutions and among the many things I did I threw a new "eyes" comp into my head composition, applied the time remapping and the corresponding expression and it worked. Now I can't replicate the error. The only difference between the "eyes" comp I had in my head comp is that the old one was parented to a null and the new isn't.

I'll try to explain the error in more detail since I think it's possible I run into it again. Imagine you have a "head" comp where you have "eyes" and "mouth" precomps. Imagine you set states for the eyes open, for blinking and for looking to the front and when calling them from the head comp it works fine. But days later you try to add a squint state. You go to illustrator, create the state and then import it into AE, place it on your "eyes" precomp, assign a marker for it but when calling it from the head comp it just won't find the new marker inside the "eyes" comp. It sends the header to keyframe 0 on the "eyes" comp.

I hope this explains it.

Return to posts index

Sergio Pol
on Jul 31, 2020 at 8:21:01 pm

Well it happened again. This time with the mouth precomp. I tried the same solution I did before but it isn't working. I'm adding screenshots this time to better explain the issue.

Here are the 3 states inside the mouth precomp

Here's what happens in the head comp

As shown the marker "mm" on the mouth comp is not found. It's checked against other labels so I know it's not a typo kind of error.

Return to posts index

Sergio Pol
on Jul 31, 2020 at 8:39:20 pm

Update:
I think I found how to make it work. I purge all memory and then throw a new copy of the precomp inside the head comp, apply timeremapping and expression.

It sure is a pain in the back so if anyone has a better more practical solution please tell me.

note:
I tried with the memory purge because after trying changing the marker labels inside the precomp I still got it to respond to the old labels in the head comp. For example, my original marker labels inside the mouth precomp were: "simplieSmile" and "bigSmile" and I changed them to "smile" and "big". When I tried to call them from the head comp with the new names it didn't find them but using their old labels in the head comp triggered the animation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]