ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Using multiple fonts within a scrolling text expression

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie Shaw
Using multiple fonts within a scrolling text expression
on Jul 13, 2020 at 8:55:59 pm

Hi there,

I'm quite new to using After Effects expressions, and have hit a wall with my research whilst trying to achieve a particular typewriter-style text expression. I was hoping somebody here may be able to help me.

I have been trying to create a center-aligned text box which will reveal the input text letter-by-letter, typewriter-like, within two asterisks, like *THIS*.

I managed to cobble together an expression which works well, provided I add the first asterisk as part of the input text. You can see this below.

My issue is that I would like the asterisks and the input text to be in different fonts, when I attempt this, the expression appears to only recognise one of those fonts.

I would greatly appreciate it if somebody could point me in the right direction for how I may be able to distinguish between these two kinds of information within the expression, so I may be able to assign them different fonts.

Many thanks

text.sourceText
charPerSec = 60;
idx = Math.floor(time*charPerSec);
value.substr(0,idx)

cursor = "*";
substr(0, idx) + cursor;

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
Re: Using multiple fonts within a scrolling text expression
on Jul 13, 2020 at 10:31:28 pm

Hi there,

Unfortunately as of AE CC2020, expressions on sourceText can only set the font and styles of the entire Text layer as a whole.

Is the text always 1 line or could it be multiple lines?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]