ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Applying overshoot on the x axis only

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gob Singh
Applying overshoot on the x axis only
on Jul 3, 2020 at 10:55:49 am

Hi everyone im looking for some help on a little sign plank animation im creating.

I'm basically creating a sign (plank on 2 ropes) that animates down. It falls down and then naturally moves into abit of a swing from left to right. Ive managed to animate the ropes (3 layers: Rope1, Rope 2, Plank) using a overshoot expression(found on internet) on the rotate function of the rope:

amp = 80;
freq = 1;
decay = 1;

t = time - inPoint;
amp*Math.sin(t*freq*Math.PI*2)/Math.exp(t*decay);

What i need to do is get the plank to do the exact same movement but only on the x-axis. Currently ive used the pick whip to set Rope1 or Rope2 as the parent of Plank layer the plank anchors to the rope and therefore rotates. I need the planks position to move left and right in a decaying sine wave motion. Can anyone help me edit the expression above to only apply to the x-axis of the plank. Or if anyone knows a better way to do it i'm open to suggestions.

amp = 80;
freq = 1;
decay = 1;

t = time - inPoint;
amp*Math.sin(t*freq*Math.PI*2)/Math.exp(t*decay);

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
Re: Applying overshoot on the x axis only
on Jul 4, 2020 at 12:39:35 pm

I'm having trouble visualizing your problem.

Rotation has just 1 dimension, so how would it be applied only to X ?

Is the plank meant to be connected to both ropes ?

Or do you want it to be parented, so it moves along, but only inherit position and not rotation ?
-> in that case:
rotation-expression: value - parent.rotation.value;

Return to posts index

Gob Singh
Re: Applying overshoot on the x axis only
on Jul 6, 2020 at 8:34:51 am

Thats great! Thank you so much exactly what i was looking for thnak you for ur help :))))))))

To help give a better idea of what i was trying to do, similar to the image above im animating a sign that drops down from out of the scene and then, to add realism, it swings left and right slightly in a diminishing sine wave movement.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]