ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Lower Third Template with Type-On Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Friedrichs
Lower Third Template with Type-On Effect
on Jun 15, 2020 at 3:45:09 am

I've built a lower third with a type-on effect with a blinking cursor.

I'm building this as a template to hand off, so I'm hoping to use thisComp.name.split(" - ")[0] to define the name field, and pull from the same array for the info field. The info field is working properly because it's animated differently, but I cannot figure out how to inject the data from the array into the Name layer's type on script. I must admit I'm a scripting pleeb and borrowed the script, and though I get no logic errors it only returns the name layer's source text.

X = thisComp.name.split(" - ")[0];
F = Math.round(time * thisComp.layer("Name Type-On Control - Affects Script in Source Text on Layer 4").effect("BlinkSpeed - Per Second")("Slider") % 1);
L = thisComp.name.split(" - ")[0].length;
T = time * thisComp.layer("Name Type-On Control - Affects Script in Source Text on Layer 4").effect("Type-On Speed")("Slider") - thisComp.layer("Name Type-On Control - Affects Script in Source Text on Layer 4").effect("Animation Starts At - In Seconds")("Slider") * thisComp.layer("Name Type-On Control - Affects Script in Source Text on Layer 4").effect("Type-On Speed")("Slider");
Cursor = " ";
if (F==1 | T>0) Cursor = "_";
if (T>=L) Cursor = " ";
if (T>0) thisComp.name.split(" - ")[0].substr(0,T) + Cursor
else Cursor

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
Re: Lower Third Template with Type-On Effect
on Jun 21, 2020 at 10:18:23 am

After recreating the needed layernames and sliders, it works perfectly for me.

If it is returning the original sourceText of the textlayer, then either the expression is turned off, or there is an error.
Because "value" is not used anywhere in this expression, the name layer's source text can never be a result of this expression.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]