ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Distribute multiple layers between two End layers?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ocean Byrne
Distribute multiple layers between two End layers?
on Jun 7, 2020 at 6:23:18 am

Is there a quicker way to setup, or some help writing an expression, to distribute multiple layers between two End layers?

• Ideally, it would work for 2d or 3d layers, and distribute pos / rot / scale / opacity.
  • It would be awesome if it automatically adjusted if you added or subtracted interim layers. Short of that, maybe the expression could start with variables like Order = 5 of Total = 15
  • It would be super cool if you could some how adjust "ease" on one End or the other, but just linear distribution between the two would be fine.
  • Finally it would be cool if it was easy to paste on to other channels like one's in Effects or whatever one might want to interpolate from layer to layer....

I understand the theory pretty well, but my syntax is crap. Help would be appreciated...

Humble Pixel Farmer

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Distribute multiple layers between two End layers?
on Jun 8, 2020 at 12:57:31 am

I think this will distribute a property between two layers named "Start Layer" and "End Layer" (change the first two lines if your bookend layers have different names):

startLayerName = "Start Layer";
endLayerName = "End Layer";
sStr = 'thisComp.layer("' + startLayerName + '")';
eStr = 'thisComp.layer("' + endLayerName + '")';
sIdx = eval(sStr + '.index');
eIdx = eval(eStr + '.index');
p = thisProperty;
str = ".value";
while(!(p instanceof Layer)){
str = '("' + p.name + '")' + str;
p = p.propertyGroup(1);
}
sVal = eval(sStr + str);
eVal = eval(eStr + str);
linear(index,sIdx,eIdx,sVal,eVal)

It assumes that the layers are contiguous in the layer stack, with "Start Layer" at the top and "End Layer" at the bottom.

Dan

Return to posts index

Ocean Byrne
on Jun 8, 2020 at 1:20:05 am

What, no ease on the end layers? I kid. This is super AWESOME! Thanks so much Dan!

_________
Ocean Byrne
Humble Pixel Farmer

Return to posts index

Ocean Byrne
on Jun 22, 2020 at 10:40:51 am

Is there a way to set a time offset on the start and end layer to be able to use this expression?

I can adjust each layer manually to start 1 frame later than the previous, but it would be great to be able to adjust a slider on the End Layer and have them all interpolate between...

Thanks again!

_________
Ocean Byrne
Humble Pixel Farmer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]