ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do I make text rotate back and forth 90 degrees using an expression? All tutorials on the internet only tell you how to do a continuous 360 rotation.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Coolidge
How do I make text rotate back and forth 90 degrees using an expression? All tutorials on the internet only tell you how to do a continuous 360 rotation.
on May 21, 2020 at 9:28:28 pm

I am trying to make a sentence of text start at the default 0 degrees and rotate on the x axis 90 degrees, then rotate back 90 degrees back to the default 0 degrees and repeat until the end of the footage. I do not want the text to go completely in a circle. I basically want it to go back and forth.

I tried things like "rotationX(0,90) but that resulted in an error. I also tried to type "transform.xRotation(0,90) but that also resulted in an error. These two apparently behave differently than wiggle and the time expressions.

There are multiple tutorials for rotation but sadly, all just tell you how to do a constant 360 rotation in one direction and most use the time expression and one value but gives no indication of what that value means. I just want it to go back and forth from 0 and 90 degrees.

I eventually found a forum post where someone else was trying to do this but the ONLY answer provided was FALSE!! It said to create two keyframes with desired values and then add the expression "loopOut(pingpong;2)" but NOTHING could be further from the truth! After Effects says that is an error!!!

Googling 'loopOut(pingpong;2) not working'" ONLY brought a result stating that it needs to be PingPong with caps but that is ALSO false as "loopOut(PingPong;2)" ALSO results in an expression error.

Also After Effects WILL NOT let me enable time remapping on this layer. I Googled 'enable time remapping on text layer' but did not get any relevant results throwing quotes around "text layer" did not help, throwing quotes around "enable time remapping" also did not help "no results for"

I am using After Effects 2018 on Windows 7

How can I get this done? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: How do I make text rotate back and forth 90 degrees using an expression? All tutorials on the internet only tell you how to do a continuous 360 rotation.
on May 21, 2020 at 9:42:09 pm

Something like this maybe:

period = 3;
t = (time - inPoint)%period;
if (t < period/2)
linear(t,0,period/2,0,90)
else
linear(t,period/2,period,90,0)

Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved