ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Dynamic keyframe value using expressions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martijn de Pooter
Dynamic keyframe value using expressions
on May 15, 2020 at 1:14:06 pm

Hi everyone,

Due to having less work because of the pandemic, I've been focussing more on learning expressions in After Effects. I'm new to expressions, so sorry if I'm wasting your time!

I've been trying to create a dynamic preset. Almost everything worked well, but I'm facing one problem now, which seems quite easy but I can't figure it out. I'll try to explain it as best as possible.

I have a responsive text box, which is tied to the text layer with sourceRectattime(). The animation I'm looking to do is making the text come up inside of the text box, but I want this animation to be dynamic. I already have a layer that calculates what the value needs to be, but I can't find out how to link this to the keyframes I want to link the value to.

Below a screenshot with the explanation of my problem.

The "Height position" is simply a layer that calculates the height of the text block using sourceRectattime() minus the "offset paths" value, so it shows the exact value of the text height.

So, I'm searching an answer to the questions how I can give a keyframe a dynamic value with expressions.

I hope someone can help me out ☺

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
Re: Dynamic keyframe value using expressions
on May 16, 2020 at 2:07:06 pm

Martijin, what you could do in this case, is use interpolation - which will allow defining that 'position value' without actual keyframes.

See http://expressions.aenhancers.com/interpolation.html

Find out more:
Motion Graphics Design & After Effects Tutorials
On YT
On VH

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]