ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Clock widget confusion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nithish kumar
Clock widget confusion
on May 6, 2020 at 11:41:11 am

Hi there. I am creating this clock widget where I need the sun and moon layer to rotate alternatively when time goes from 6 to 12. From 12 to 6 there's no change and so on it continues...

I've set the speed of clock based on comp duration so that I can multiply it by any number

And also I have the sun and moon in the same layer...

I'm having trouble making the sun and moon rotate correctly...

12-6------moon
6 -12--------moon stay
Next 6-12------- moon rotate by 180 to show the sun

12-6------ sun stay

And so the loop continues..

I want it all without any keyframes..

Pls, .help me...

Nithish

Return to posts index

Nithish kumar
Re: Clock widget confusion
on May 6, 2020 at 11:52:07 am

12-6------moon. (First frame)
6-12------- moon rotate by 180 to show the sun
12-6------ sun stay
6-12------sun rotate 180 to show the sun

And the loop goes on

THIS IS THE CORRECT ORDER

Nithish

Return to posts index

Robert Müller
on May 6, 2020 at 10:48:14 pm

Hi, using this script by Dan Ebberts I got it kinda working the way you want to, but a little bit different. The clock works now by a slider-value, which dictates how long a 6hour cycle will take.
Expression for the minute hand:

cyc= thisComp.layer("Null 1").effect("6h-cycle length")(1); //the aforementioned slider, here with the value 5(sec)
t=time%cyc; //t as a time driven variable will jump back to zero every "cyc" seconds
seg = Math.floor(time/(cyc)); //calculating the number of rounds, important for the last step
(180*12)*seg+linear(t,0,cyc,0,(180*12)) //"linear"-ing the rotation and adding the amounts of full rotations

180*12 for 6 full rotations, I was to lazy to tidy this up. I also forgot to calculate for the layer.inPoint, for example if you move your layer around on the timeline.
Expression for the hourhand:
thisComp.layer("min").transform.rotation/12 //Nothing special, just dividing the minute rotation by 12
And the most important, expression on the sun/moon-thingy:
rampDur = thisComp.layer("Null 1").effect("6h-cycle length")(1); //same
segDur = 2*rampDur;// double it up for a full 12h circle. Since the widget will be resting for 6 hours and rotating for the other six
t = (time+rampDur - inPoint)%segDur; //same as before but this time I "offset" the whole thing by a 6 hour cycle, since it should start stationary
seg = Math.floor((time+rampDur-inPoint)/segDur); //again as before but added the "rampDur" as a 6-hour-cycle offset
180*seg + ease(t,0,rampDur/1,0,180)// decided to use ease instead of linear since it looks nicer. I explain below why I left the devision after rampDur in

I hope you understand evertything with my comments, but I'll attach a file as well. Now, if you want to speed up or slow down your clock animation change or animate the slider on the Null. If you feel your sun/moon rotation should be faster than a 6-hour-cycle, just divide the last rampDur in the ease by the desired amount, eg in this case by 5 to have the rotation be 1 second long. In this example I put the 1 to leave it just as it is.

Project file:

14125_clockwidget.aep.zip

I hope I could help, I definetly learned a few new things while working on this problem 😊 Thanks to Dan for his awesome expression powers, I hope its okay I borrowed from your last solution... and didnt even bother to rename the variables. Sorry!😬

Return to posts index

Nithish kumar
on May 7, 2020 at 10:04:00 am

Thank you soooooo much Robert and Dan for making me understand the logic behind it.

And I was ae to successfully set up the rog as I wanted. Now it can loop seamlessly based in comp duration.

The only thing is the no of cycles should be even to loop seamlessly....

Thank you guys again ....🥰🥰🥰

Here is the code

cyc =4; // should be even for a seamless loop
segDur = thisComp.duration/cyc;
rampDur = (segDur*0.5).toFixed(2);
t = time%segDur.toFixed(2);
seg = Math.floor(time/segDur);

deg = 180;

seg*deg+linear(t,rampDur,segDur,0,deg);

Nithish

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>