ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CC16.1.3 clipping high numeric values from an imported .csv file at 32,768

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter kovalik
AE CC16.1.3 clipping high numeric values from an imported .csv file at 32,768
on Apr 12, 2020 at 3:39:50 am

Hey users,

I need to import data into AE CC 2019 from a Google sheet. I export the sheet as a .csv file which is the used to drive my animated contents. For some reason any higher numeric value in the .csv file is imported into AE clipped at 32,768. I understand that this value represents a pixel position limit, or the maximum RGB values in 16 bit mode. However there is no reason why a list of simple numbers, ranging from 0 to say 200,000, should be clipped at that value. I'm at a loss as to why that should be, yet obviously AE seems to be misinterpreting these values somehow. ANy suggestions what may the reason for this be, and even more importantly, how to resolve this issue?

Thank you
peter

Return to posts index

peter kovalik
Re: AE CC16.1.3 clipping high numeric values from an imported .csv file at 32,768
on Apr 12, 2020 at 5:59:11 am

I just want to add that since posting this issue, I also tried exporting the data from the Google Sheet as .tsv and .json, and the clipping occurred in these cases as well.

Return to posts index

Andrei Popa
Re: AE CC16.1.3 clipping high numeric values from an imported .csv file at 32,768
on Apr 12, 2020 at 10:45:01 am

I don't know about csv and tsv and i am reaaaaly busy now and can't test. But here is a solution for JSON.

Import your JSON file.

add this expression to where you want to use it

eval("var myVar = "+footage("data.json").sourceText)
myVar["variable"]

data.json is the name of the json file, case-sensitive.

variable is the name of the particular variable/row/data you want to use, also case-sensitive

You may also try this with csv and tsv, it may work. Also, check adobe's page with dealing with data files : https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/data-driven-animations.html

Andrei
My Envato portfolio.

Return to posts index

peter kovalik
on Apr 13, 2020 at 8:50:40 am

Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately again I was unable to make it work. I feel part of the problem is that the basic info on adobe site is too basic to resolve anything a bit out of the ordinary, but everything else is at this point still beyond me.

However, in the process of trying to make it work, I did discover that accessing the .csv from the project bin using the "footage().dataValue();" method as opposed to dropping the .csv into my comp and accessing its contents directly there, made the difference. Dropping it (or .tsv or .json) automatically clips the values to 32,768, whereas keeping it in the Project bin keeps the values intact. If anyone can explain that on to me I would greatly appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Scott McGee
on Apr 14, 2020 at 11:05:10 am

I can't figure a way in csv, unless someone can jump in but it you label your number as string in Json.

example

{
"Number": 1000000,
"Text": "10000000"
}

So Number returns back 32768, but Text returns 1000000, but as a string. So if you are wanting it to work as a number you just need to do the below method to create it into an integer. Or just leave be as it'll work as a string.

parseInt(thisComp.layer("test.json")("Data")("Outline")("Text"))

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]