ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Visibility control across multiple comps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Tak
Visibility control across multiple comps
on Apr 1, 2020 at 6:23:28 pm

I have a project with a set of icons spread across multiple comps. I want to connect the Visibility of these icons to a master, so that if I turn on the 'eye' in the master comps, all the others turn on. And similarly, if I turn off the 'eye' of an icon in the master, all the connected icons in the other comps turn off.

Basically

Icon A
Icon B
Icon C

in multiple comps.

I have been able to accomplish this using Opacity. But it is cumbersome having to go into the Opacity each time. I'd like to connect them to the Visibility 'eye'.

I know the .active parameter controls this, but I don't know where to put it. If one .active controls another .active, where does it go? There is no pickwick connected to the 'eye'.

My alternative is to set up a series of Checkboxes on a control null in the master comp and connect them all through there, which is fine. I am just curious as to if there is a way to connect visibility directly.

Thanks in advance.

"Nothing is Easy"
Jethro Tull

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Visibility control across multiple comps
on Apr 1, 2020 at 7:28:52 pm

You can't control .active (or the eyeball) via expressions. It's read only. I think you're stuck with Opacity.

Dan

Return to posts index

Glenn Tak
Re: Visibility control across multiple comps
on Apr 1, 2020 at 11:43:25 pm

Thanks Dan... at least I don't have to beat my head against the wall trying to figure it out.

Opacity it is!

TAK

"Nothing is Easy"
Jethro Tull

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]