ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CEP Panel: Event Listener Layer Selection

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Malte Hillebrand
CEP Panel: Event Listener Layer Selection
on Mar 20, 2020 at 2:57:35 pm

Hey, I'm fairly new to plugin creation in Adobe products / After Effects and I'm hoping you can help me.

I'm trying to create an event via CSInterface whenever a layer is selected within a comp.

I then want to adjust my HTML5 Panel accordingly to the selected layer.

Is this possible and if so, how?

I couldn't find anything about this behaviour.

Also: If somebody has any link to a good ressource for CSInterface.js and it's communication with After Effects and my panel I would highly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Andrei Popa
Re: CEP Panel: Event Listener Layer Selection
on Mar 24, 2020 at 10:25:40 am

If you decide to create Script/Plugins for AE, you should get terminology correct.

Script = program created in ExtendScript(JavaScript plus some additions to fit Adobe products). EcmaScript 3 standard.
Extension = a script that works inside a web interface. I think you can use EcmaScript 6 inside the web part and EcmaScript 3 inside the script part.
Plugin = a whole different league. Programmed in C++. You can access about anything in AE with those. But are much much more complicated than scripts or extensions.

Now, for your answer.
I don't have much experience with Extensions but have a fair bit with scripts.
And since an Extension is a script with web interface, I'm gonna take a wild guess and say no. I don't think you can add things like layer.onSelect().

If you are new to Extensions, this tutorial could help you understand how they work.

Andrei
My Envato portfolio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]