ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

change fonts with expressions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Engelkemier
change fonts with expressions
on Mar 20, 2020 at 2:46:51 pm

I keep getting asked to make timers for digital prototype to show developers what they want. Yay, still getting work.
Only, I don't know how to make this with expressions. Normally it's not too difficult, only, they want to change fonts for leading zeros.

So for the time 00:01:08.... 00:0 is say Arial, then 1:08 is Futura Bold.
Any way to do that as an expression?

I'm just animating it manually, which isn't too bad. But since I keep getting asked to do it, and the fonts change, I thought maybe it's time to see if I can't do an expression for this.

Return to posts index

Andrei Popa
Re: change fonts with expressions
on Mar 20, 2020 at 7:13:09 pm

Last time I checked, you could not set different font types for the same layer. I don't think they changed that in the latest updates.

Andrei
My Envato portfolio.

Return to posts index

Andy Engelkemier
on Mar 21, 2020 at 1:03:46 am

Well check again. Because you can. And it’s been at least a year since you could.

Return to posts index

Andrei Popa
on Mar 21, 2020 at 7:27:30 am

YOU CAN'T!

But if you are so sure you can, why don't you do it yourself?

Andrei
My Envato portfolio.

Return to posts index

Andy Engelkemier
on Mar 21, 2020 at 11:47:25 am

Because I wanted to do it with expressions. I have already done the animation, but keyed it all manually. And my text object is two different fonts.
I just wanted to see if I could automate this a bit more so next time, when they choose different values and fonts, I could be more efficient and spend more time on other parts of the animation that are more interesting.
I know we are all getting anxious, but there is no reason to yell.

In my experience, every time the first few people respond with “you can’t” they are wrong. Because someone like Dan Eberts comes along and responds with exactly how to do it.
I think I also misunderstood your intention. We’re you trying to say that fonts are inaccessible to expressions on a per character basis? You didn’t specify, so it looked like you just didn’t know what you were talking about. My apologies if you were just being unclear.

Return to posts index

Andrei Popa
on Mar 21, 2020 at 12:53:54 pm

I am sorry for the ambiguity of my answer. Yes, you can't do it with expressions. You can change the font of a layer, but for the whole text.

The only work-around for your case(that i can think of) would be to split the text in 2 layers and put some distance between them. That way, you can have 2 different styles.

Andrei
My Envato portfolio.

Return to posts index

Andy Engelkemier
on Mar 21, 2020 at 12:59:39 pm

When you copy and paste, it keeps the format of the source.
So I wonder if it is possible to have two different layers with the two fonts. Then on a third layer match the source of layer 1, the character two match source of layer 2.

Return to posts index

Alex Printz
on Mar 27, 2020 at 2:49:00 pm

No it is not possible.

Alex Printz
Mograph Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]