ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

TEXT SELECTOR EXPRESSIONS (select characters one by one and do the same thing to them)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Traile
TEXT SELECTOR EXPRESSIONS (select characters one by one and do the same thing to them)
on Feb 24, 2020 at 9:54:56 pm

Hi, I'm looking for a simple solution to using expression selectors to select each letter one by one and do the same thing to each of them sequentially. This is to further my knowledge of selector expressions and how to use textIndex. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: TEXT SELECTOR EXPRESSIONS (select characters one by one and do the same thing to them)
on Feb 24, 2020 at 10:27:31 pm

This simple example should select each character in sequence, starting at one second:

textIndex == Math.floor(time) ? 100 : 0

and apply the max amount of the Animator property to the selected character.

Dan

Return to posts index

Patrick Traile
Re: TEXT SELECTOR EXPRESSIONS (select characters one by one and do the same thing to them)
on Feb 25, 2020 at 12:47:53 am

Hi Dan, thanks much this did work, however, I have it on the scale property and once the frame is no longer equal to the index number, the character is no longer affected by the expression selector, so it doesn't stay scaled, it reverts back to the original scale. How would you solve this in the expression?

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Feb 25, 2020 at 12:50:54 am

Just change it to this:

textIndex <= Math.floor(time) ? 100 : 0

Dan

Return to posts index

Patrick Traile
on Feb 25, 2020 at 12:58:58 am

Thanks again Dan, the transition is very rigid from letter to letter, how can I smooth this out and make it interpolate in transition from letter to letter? Is using something like linear() the best way? how would you do this? I'm looking to build up an arsenal of techniques to do custom text animations using purely expressions!

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Feb 25, 2020 at 1:20:18 am

Something like this maybe:

linear(time,textIndex-.25,textIndex,0,100)

Dan

Return to posts index

Patrick Traile
on Feb 25, 2020 at 1:48:59 am

This is Awesome Dan, Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]