ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Native JS (es5) features "randomly" not supported in some environments (AE2020 SCRIPTING)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeroen Rommelaars
Native JS (es5) features "randomly" not supported in some environments (AE2020 SCRIPTING)
on Jan 21, 2020 at 1:03:39 pm

Hey guys,

We are currently working on writing an extension for AE, however, we are running into bugs that we cannot explain.

In our code, we use the .filter method on an array. Something that should be possible in AE19 and above, and in fact, it works flawlessly - on some computers.
In the office we run 8 computers with AE, all running the newest updated AE2020 version, and on about half of them it works, where the other half says that .filter is undefined.

We tried reinstalling everything, tried it with/without extendscript toolkit, we tried it between different versions of windows and mac, but it appears to be completely random.

We had a look at the expression engine (legacy or JS) but that appears to only affect expressions as expected and not scripting.

So, bottom line, higher js commands like .filter seem to work, but depending on your system they sometimes appear to not be included in the scripting engine.
Extremely weird.

Does anyone have any clue as to what could cause such a discrepancy between installations?
Any help is very much appreciated

Return to posts index

Andrei Popa
Re: Native JS (es5) features "randomly" not supported in some environments (AE2020 SCRIPTING)
on Jan 21, 2020 at 5:59:11 pm

I knew they only upgraded the expression engine, not the scripting one. The question is why does filter work on some computers... On mine, it doesn't. And it shouldn't.

Maybe you have another script installed on some computers that uses a prototype filter() function. If a script is loaded in AE, you can use public variables and function from that inside another script. So you could even use a prototype method. That is the only scenario that i can think of.

Andrei
My Envato portfolio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]