ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Letters appearing in Alphabetical Order via Expression

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Viney
Letters appearing in Alphabetical Order via Expression
on Nov 18, 2019 at 4:54:36 am

Hi, I'm looking to create a motion graphics sequence similar to the intro sequence of Birdman with the individual letters appearing in alphabetical order. I know how to make them appear randomly and I could do this manually via masking but was wondering if I could make an expression for the Animate:Opacity value to automate this for me.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Oleg Pirogov
Re: Letters appearing in Alphabetical Order via Expression
on Nov 18, 2019 at 11:26:56 am

An Expression Selector for the Opacity Animator (with Opacity value = 0%) with this expression:

text.sourceText.value.charCodeAt(textIndex-1)-97+1 <= time ? 0 : 100;

will make letters appear in alphabetical order with the period of 1 second. This will work for the text consisting of lower-case letters only. If you change "97" to "65", it will do the same for an all-upper-case-letters text.

Return to posts index

Justin Viney
on Nov 25, 2019 at 1:51:28 am

Hi Oleg, thanks for your reply. I tried the expression in the Animate Opacity Range Selector but am getting the message "property or method named 'textIndex' in Class 'global' is missing or does not exist. It may have been renamed, moved, deleted, or the name may have been mistyped." I've attached a screenshot of my timeline below:

Return to posts index

Oleg Pirogov
on Nov 25, 2019 at 11:14:22 am

You should add an Expression Selector and use that expression for it, not Opacity.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]