ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

double pivot point?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeremy jobin
double pivot point?
on Nov 8, 2019 at 4:32:57 am

Long time reader, first time poster. I've spent the day looking through these forums for what I thought was going to be a simple fix. I have a heart shape asset with the pivot point shifted to the very bottom so the heart can rotate left and right from the bottom. I also have a null object lined up top center of the heart with hopes of being to control left and right rotation from the top as well. I assumed I could use a simple parent for this, but it doesn't work because when the heart(child layer) rotates, the null object doesn't follow along.

I've seen examples where a cube can rotate on multiple corners, and that seems similar to what i need, but the expressions didn't seem to work for my needs.

Maybe its more complicated than I thought.....if anyone can get me pointed in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

jeremy jobin
Re: double pivot point?
on Nov 12, 2019 at 6:58:49 am

anyone?

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Nov 12, 2019 at 6:58:43 pm

I don't have the math handy, but it's not simple. I think you'd need to do some 2D matrix math to rotate your layer around an arbitrary point. Certainly possible, but not trivial.

Dan

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Nov 12, 2019 at 11:34:36 pm

have you tried playing around with the Transform effect? I think you might be able to do what you want by adjusting the effect's Anchor Point and Position by the same amount to get the 2nd anchor point where you want it and then use the effect's Rotation to give you the 2nd rotation.

Dan

Return to posts index

jeremy jobin
on Nov 13, 2019 at 6:04:39 pm

Im almost relieved to hear it isnt a simple solution haha. I thought i was going crazy. Thanks for the info, I'll look into your suggestion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]