ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Scaling "paint stroke width" over the stroke length and time it was written

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Hoecker
Scaling "paint stroke width" over the stroke length and time it was written
on Oct 17, 2019 at 8:56:08 pm
Last Edited By Matthew Hoecker on Oct 17, 2019 at 8:58:53 pm

Hopefully I'm able to make this clear what I'm trying to do. I've recorded some writing using paint strokes and my tablet, and have animated them so that they write out words over time. Simple enough.

But here's where it gets tricky for me (and I'm definitely only a fledgling expression writer.) I want it to be kind of a bleeding effect where the stroke grows in size over time to it's final normal size. So the stroke grows to its size as it is written, so the start of the stroke starts out skinny and then grows and may have reached its full size, but the end of the stroke is only just starting to grow as it is written.

I tried with expressions, however so far I'm only able to get the whole stroke to scale over time (and ends "bleeding" right at the end of the stroke) using this:

myIdx = thisProperty.propertyGroup(2).propertyIndex;
effect("Paint").stroke(myIdx).strokeOption.end*1.5

Can anyone help me write an expression that scales each "point" of the stroke over time?

Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

Matthew Hoecker
Re: Scaling "paint stroke width" over the stroke length and time it was written
on Oct 22, 2019 at 5:40:52 pm

Just a quick update to this. I never found a way to animate stroke width variably over the course of the stroke. What I ended up doing was creating 10 layers with progressively larger thickness and just animating the revealing stroke over the top of the text with a ink bleed looking font.

Once the revealing mask strokes (using alpha track matte switches) were offset by a couple frames, each subsequent stroke revealed a little more giving me a decent representation of the ink bleeding effect.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else comes across this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]