ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Parent an effect parameter to a parameter in another comp without splitting comp panels

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adhish Yajnik
Parent an effect parameter to a parameter in another comp without splitting comp panels
on Aug 28, 2019 at 11:07:45 pm

Hi folks,

I've been parenting properties across parent/child comps in AE for years, by splitting their respective timeline panels, exposing the relevant parameters, and using the Expression pickwhip to link a parameter from one comp to another. But it does tend to get tedious, and After Effects' touchy scrolling when using the pickwhip doesn't help.

Is there a way to copy parameters in a similar way to Houdini, where you can right click a parameter and select some sort of "Copy Absolute Parameter Name," which won't just put "transform.position" into the clipboard, but will put "comp("compName").layer("layerName").transform.position" on the clipboard, so that you can easily paste that into a parameter in a different comp?

It'd sure make my life a whole lot easier than the comp-splitting-and-pickwhipping workflow. I thought Essential Graphics could do this for me easily by creating control panels for my comp networks, but as you can't keyframe any of the properties in Essential Graphics, that's out the window, and I've got to do it with Expressions.

I'm pretty sure I'm out of luck, but I thought I'd ask the experts before putting in a feature request with Adobe.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Alex Printz
Re: Parent an effect parameter to a parameter in another comp without splitting comp panels
on Aug 29, 2019 at 9:20:51 pm

Edit > Copy with Property Links

Alex Printz
Mograph Designer

Return to posts index

Adhish Yajnik
Re: Parent an effect parameter to a parameter in another comp without splitting comp panels
on Sep 3, 2019 at 9:28:27 pm

Fantastic! Thanks, Alex!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]