ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Arrange 3D Layers at Variable Distances Using A Null.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Crenshaw
Arrange 3D Layers at Variable Distances Using A Null.
on Aug 27, 2019 at 6:33:53 pm

I have about 300 pics that are arranged in a masked shape forming a sort of collage. They are all 3D layers and parented to a single null. I would like to be able to pull the null back and have the layers follow but at varying distances based on something like layer number. The goal being to create a 3D cloud to fly a camera through and have dynamic control of the depth of the cloud. I guess the best way to describe it is like an accordion.

I'm anxious to see if this is doable,
Mark

Return to posts index

Alex Printz
Re: Arrange 3D Layers at Variable Distances Using A Null.
on Aug 29, 2019 at 9:59:56 pm

It's doable but you're likely going to need to work with a camera to do it. It's going to depend on the depth of field, and if you want it to start out flat you're going to need to distribute your layers visually in Z-space to create the false flat look at the beginning(note their scale will change).

You could attempt to do something with the 2d planar camera in DuIK, but it's unlikely to produce the 'screensaver' view I imagine you're looking for.

Your best bet is to do it by hand with a top-down view and a front-facing camera at the same time. I've done similar things to make a cutout world that a camera passed through before.

Good luck!

Alex Printz
Mograph Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]