Importing time stamps from Excel to slice up a video clip

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ian thompson
Importing time stamps from Excel to slice up a video clip
on Aug 15, 2019 at 2:33:34 pm

Hello all,
Long time reader, first time poster.

I am doing a lot of manual work taking a string of time stamps and using them to cut up a video clip into smaller sections. I was hoping to automate this somehow.

My first thought was to write a script that takes an Excel sheet and take an array of time stamps (start and end) and create an expression that chops them up into video clips for me.

Before I start, I wondered if something similar already existed or someone could stop me running into an obvious problem?

Kind regards,
Ian

Return to posts index

Alex Printz
Re: Importing time stamps from Excel to slice up a video clip
on Aug 29, 2019 at 9:51:50 pm

Are you looking to make a script or an expression?

I would do it as an expression myself, since each clip would only need 2 expressions (opacity and time remap). It would also be far easier to troubleshoot or adjust as needed than a script IMO.

Make an excel json with the footageName, footageStartTime, footageEndTime, and footageOffsetPoint(last one is optional if you don't want your clips to play from their first frame).

You would need to do 2 parts of the same expression, determine if the layer's source's name is in the json as footageName, and if it is and the current property's name is 'opacity' determine if it has a footageStartTime and footageEndTime and if 'time' is between those values return 100 else 0, OR if it's property name is 'timeRemap' determine if it has a footageStartTime and footageEndTime and if 'time' is between those values to return 'time-footageStartTime+footageOffsetPoint' else footageOffsetPoint.

Finally, just stretch all the layers to the full length of the comp and put the expression on the timeRemap and opacity properties.

Alex Printz
Mograph Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]