ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Expression for moving shaped based on text length

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hans Terlouw
Expression for moving shaped based on text length
on Jul 17, 2019 at 8:57:37 am

Hello,

First post here. Very big expression noob here. I will try to explain best I can.

I am trying to make a lower third template that looks like this :

I want to be able to adjust the text (through a motion graphic template) and have boxes below the text follow. I have already got this to work through the following expression(s):

Now what I want to do is have the line shape start (about 20 points) right of the box shapes, animate in (this is working using trim paths), and move over to the left uncovering the lower third. My plan parenting a shape and then alpha matting the text and boxes.

I have already created exactly what I wanted in AE but instead of expressions using keyframes. But then I would have to re-adjust all keyframe values based on the text length. The giphy link is what i want the final result to look like (it is a right lower third, but will be creating one for the left side of the screen and one for the right side of the screen)

https://giphy.com/gifs/J4sClPPjlTCrOa2NOw

Looking forward to receiving help from this community.

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
Re: Expression for moving shaped based on text length
on Jul 19, 2019 at 8:44:10 pm

Hey Hans,

this one is easy. You simply need to control positioning of the line by interpolation (if no keyframes shall be used).

Add ease ()expression to the X position (http://expressions.aenhancers.com/interpolation.html) and alter the 'slide amount' by using the longest text box width as a starting position.

Here is pseudo version, replace it with your actual values and apply to X pos.

ease(time, [animationStartTime], [animationEndTime], [finalPosition - longestLineWidth - gapDistance], [finalPosition])

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.
Boxer - Dynamic Text Boxes Template with a Live Preview

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]