ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Double Sided Layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Bowker
Double Sided Layer
on Jul 3, 2019 at 9:16:08 am

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to make a magazine page turn video without any paid plugins and I have been pretty successful so far but I now have an issue with an expression which makes a layer double sided.

The expression I'm using is: toCompVec([0, 0, 1])[2] > 0 ? value : 0
Which I got from this website: http://www.motionscript.com/design-guide/invisible-facing-away.html

It works great but now I have applied curvature to the geometry of the layer you can see both sides of the layer at once which isn't what this expression is designed for. From my understanding of this expression, it will only show the 'side' of the layer which is facing the camera so when both sides of the layer are on screen it uses which ever side is larger to be displayed on both sides.

I was wondering whether there is another expression anyone knows of or whether this expression could be adapted for the project I'm working on?

I have attached screenshots of the issue to help you understand what I'm trying to explain.

Thanks in advance. Matt

toCompVec([0, 0, 1])[2] > 0 ? value : 0

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Double Sided Layer
on Jul 5, 2019 at 6:38:52 am

You will have to device this in a different way. The first solution that comes to mind is a precomp with a matching layer (of the single page that is turning) with a light on one side, that you can then use as a luma matte for one side of the page.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]