ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Splitting up line after desired number of characters

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raj Sha
Splitting up line after desired number of characters
on Jun 22, 2019 at 9:37:27 am

Hello Everyone.

I am coming from this thread https://forums.creativecow.net/docs/forums/post.php?forumid=227&postid=3448...

The final code in the post above is doing a fantastic job in adding a line break after every 20 characters.

But I am having some trouble appending the code to add one more condition.

* I am trying to create something that breaks the line after 80 character, without splitting the nearest word.
* Also, If a special character (*) or any other special character is encountered, it should completely overrule the split at 80 character code and should split the line again and reset the character counter to zero to count till 80 again.

I am attaching the screenshot using the code in the above post.

So the issue is, It splits the line fine after 80 characters. The problem begins with line 2.
My line 2 ends at 35 characters. This code count these 35 characters and continues to count in the next line till the count is 80 splits the line. This doesn't look great with what I am trying to achieve.

Any help in this regard is appreciated.

Thank You!!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Splitting up line after desired number of characters
on Jun 23, 2019 at 7:42:01 am

Would be good to know why you want to do it this way instead of using paragraph text. Why not just make a textbox that is the width of 80 characters and add line breaks after each paragraph?

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Raj Sha
on Jun 23, 2019 at 8:57:12 am

Thank You Sir for taking your time out to respond. I don't have much experience with After Effects so it is not possible for me to figure out which way is better.

May I request you to please share your approach to fix this issue.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Jun 23, 2019 at 4:16:51 pm

I mean click and drag a box with the text tool which defines the area in which the text will appear, making it a suitable size to hold 80 characters or less.
How is the text brought in? In many, cases it would already have separate paragraphs for each bullet point.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]