ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Freeze/Unfreeze Expression at Given Time

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Vetock
Freeze/Unfreeze Expression at Given Time
on Jun 13, 2019 at 4:14:32 pm

Hey Everyone!

I'm in the process of building an animation of a website that types into a URL, the page loads with welcome text that says "Hello! We Are (Company)". I'm using a sourceText expression that points at a slider control to delegate type out speed with a blinking cursor after text types out. I would like to add a slight delay in between "Hello!" and "We Are" (probably somewhere around 6-12 frames) and then a longer freeze inbetween "We Are" and "(Company)"(around 5-8 seconds@24FPS).

I'm assuming off the bat that the answer lies somewhere in an if-else function or along the lines of less than/greater than time. I don't have much experience creating delays mid-expression as of yet and am having trouble figuring this out for myself.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I can provide a clip for reference if my question requires clarity.

-V

//This code is used in the text layer that is inside of a precomp. The precomp is parented to another layer in the main comp to scale to size appropriately.
L=text.sourceText.length;
T=time*effect("Speed")("Slider");
F=Math.round(time%1);

if(F==1 | (T0)){Fl="|";} else{Fl=""};

substr(0,T)+Fl;

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Freeze/Unfreeze Expression at Given Time
on Jun 13, 2019 at 6:36:46 pm

If you replace the "time" property with a slider that you animate as if it was time moving (or not moving, for pauses), you have control over it with keyframes.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Nick Vetock
Re: Freeze/Unfreeze Expression at Given Time
on Jun 13, 2019 at 7:01:03 pm

Amazing, thank you!

–V

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]