ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Adaptive position based on sourceRectAtTime?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kieran Lefort
Adaptive position based on sourceRectAtTime?
on Jun 10, 2019 at 10:03:03 am

I'm creating a lower third where the bar with the text on emerges from behind another shape and has a Dan Ebberts bounce on the end position keyframe. The text bar width adapts to the size of the text using sourceRectAtTime. Cool. Easy.

The problem I'm having is that when the text and therefore the bar gets long, it starts off sticking out from behind the shape. "Just move the starting position keyframe," I hear you shout.

Not that easy.

Moving the starting keyframe changes the velocity of the animation, thereby affecting the bounce and producing an undesired effect.

I think what I need is an expression that both alters the starting keyframe's position based on the value delivered by the text's sourceRectAtTime and the amp variable of the existing bounce expression.

I think there's a lot of maths I can't begin to understand going on here. Grateful for any help.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Adaptive position based on sourceRectAtTime?
on Jun 11, 2019 at 4:35:08 am

"Just make the text smaller!"

Without seeing any of the expressions involved, that is what I have to say.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Kieran Lefort
on Jun 11, 2019 at 12:43:53 pm

Hahaha! If I could, I would. Unfortunately, this has to conform to a strict design.

I've found a different animation for this particular project, but I'm still interested in any solutions to this problem as it's bound to come up again.

Return to posts index

Griffin Englander
on Jul 10, 2019 at 6:11:10 am

What speed is the start of the animation? If it's fast you can probably get away with only activating the layer when it'd be visible.

Or, I'm not sure how you've set-up the box, but you could do a little anchor point animation on the text to gradually/ noticeably offset the text without affecting your position animation/ bounce.

Just some quick, tired thoughts.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]