ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

many years on ...bash script ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Smith
many years on ...bash script ?
on Jun 5, 2019 at 9:22:47 am

I'm currently on CS6 - hosted on X 10.13.6 and use a bash shell to delete rendered files before re-rendering.

Could an AE script be made to run a bash script - pre render?

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
Re: many years on ...bash script ?
on Jun 5, 2019 at 10:27:11 am

Hey Robert, are you running your current bash manually? How do you initiate re-render in your current process, also by hand?

Also, are you familiar with Extendscript at some degree?

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.
Boxer - Dynamic Text Boxes Template with a Live Preview

Return to posts index

Robert Smith
on Jun 5, 2019 at 11:09:31 am
Last Edited By Robert Smith on Jun 5, 2019 at 11:37:09 am

thanks for the reply TB.
Its totally manual; we type rm into a shell then drag and drop the offending file from finder into shell , hit return , back to AE and click render.

I have not heard of Extendscript, will follow your lead and search it out now , regards

....update
I got as far as AdobeExtendScriptToolkit3.5.0-mul.dmg on Adobe site which was in archive/ CS5 toolkit. Lots of complex stuff for a bloke who has only rustled aup the odd bash housekeeping script in the past :-)

Is it possible to augment AECS6 using Extendscript so that AE will successfully overwrite existing named files from the render queue ?

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
on Jun 6, 2019 at 10:38:41 am

Robert, in order to help you further, could you please provide a bit more background. Specifically:
1. What is the reason that you need to overwrite existing named files in the renderQueue?
2. Are you set rendering location to be in the same place all the times?
3. Don't you make a risk of overwriting files which might be needed after all?

With that said, knowing more of your workflow, could help to either provide more detailed approach, or suggest different list of actions instead.

Find out more:

Return to posts index

Robert Smith
on Jun 6, 2019 at 11:34:58 am

Thanks again for the interest!

1. What is the reason that you need to overwrite existing named files in the renderQueue?
Typical scenario: .mov with straight alpha is created for a speed blurred price element with animated text "NEW only $1.99" with a little glint and a slight bounce as it settles into place.
After a few minutes watching it in situ , the creative team request that the glint is removed and the bounce is accentuated... once this has been reviewed the team want to remove the glint, the producer gets a call and the price is reduced to $1.98, later that day the price goes up ...and so on; this can generate redundant, incrementally numbered footage and repetitive action; importing and replacing material that is already present in the edit software (FCPX /Resolve).

2. Are you set rendering location to be in the same place all the times?
The rendered media that could be overwritten may be anywhere on the local network according to AE queue settings for the project underway.

3. Don't you make a risk of overwriting files which might be needed after all?
Yes but that was only a consideration when we used to wait 15 minutes for one frame of SDI to render !!!!
The option to overwrite exists in after effects; highlight a completed render queue item and press command + shift + d. Pre CS6 versions successfully overwrote files in this manner.

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
on Jun 7, 2019 at 6:48:04 am

Robert, thanks for your explanations, the part about 'redundant importing' made it complete sense.

On the other hand, here is what I think myself:

1. The most simplistic approach seems to be, instead of running a shell script - that designer, after adding item into render queue, would simply locate output direction and overwrites it on top. Few extra steps, which are in fact similar amount of time-costly, as running a bash (IMO!)
2. Alternatively, if some script in mind, instead of deleting an item completely, I think the better approach would be 'rename' and old output file, and then, render new output with original name. The main advantage you get here - previous version always available for comparison, in case if 'lets get back to the older revision' situation kicks in ☺

Think about like this - by script execution, new item (aka, comp) would be pushed to the render queue, and file renaming would be done automatically.

Well, at least now you have two different options to consider ! :)

Find out more:

Return to posts index

Robert Smith
on Jun 7, 2019 at 10:56:22 am

Thank you for continuing to take an interest in this issue,

[Tomas Bumbulevičius] "instead of running a shell script - that designer, after adding item into render queue, would simply locate output direction and overwrites it on top" ...yes! ... from my previous post : The option to overwrite exists in after effects; highlight a completed render queue item and press command + shift + d. ...the problem is; render fails.

[Tomas Bumbulevičius] " better approach would be 'rename' and old output file, and then, render new output with original name. "
We have experimented with many workarounds since CS6 'broke the mould', my own favourite solution; where possible use CS5, which overwrites without issue, like all versions before it.

Do you know if it is feasible , how to make CS6 pass an argument (eg. queued file name) by default, to an applescript, before every render begins?

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
on Jun 7, 2019 at 5:38:39 pm

Robert - my pleasure!

Hmm, so lets say you render 'VIDEO_X.mov' and it stays in the render queue as finished item. Even on CS6:
1. Right click on the finished item in the queue, with a filename 'VIDEO_X.mov';
2. Choose 'Duplicate with File Name'.
3. It renders on top, without asking.

As for passing argument - one way or another it would be related with Extendscript execution. And for such relatively easy job, I don't think its worth the hassle! :)

Find out more:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]