ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Auto-Scaling Multiple Text Layers To Area

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zack Mahar
Auto-Scaling Multiple Text Layers To Area
on May 3, 2019 at 8:33:35 pm

Hi, I've been having some issues figuring out the best way to go about automatically scaling multiple text layers to a specified area when i add another line to one of the texts.

My first try was to precompose my layers, rasterize it, making the borders set to the layers inside, and use

y= 1532/thisLayer.sourceRectAtTime(time).height*80;;

[y,y]

This didn't work because rasterizing the comp still didn't change the border values even though visually they are different.
Next I wanted to scale a shape layer to the text. then create a null to parent to the scale property of the shape layer and add a *-(?) . Then parent the text layers to the shape making them scale down every time I added a line. I couldn't figure out how to get a shape layer to scale to the text either which I believed could be a work around.

If anyone has any knowledge of auto-scaling shape layers to multiple layers, or how to get the rasterized pre-comp to scale when the layers inside are changing you would be my saviour. Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Auto-Scaling Multiple Text Layers To Area
on May 4, 2019 at 7:34:37 am

This will be next to impossible to solve without seeing how you have set up your comp.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Zack Mahar
on May 6, 2019 at 4:28:58 pm

Here are a few screen shots.

I set this up with Title Text+SubText Groups being adjusted off of eachother to allow additional line breaks.
The goal is to setup the text to scale down to the comp size.
https://gyazo.com/5f9dc353c5d9cf67195f3a29948503b7

Here's what the text groups look like in the comp. They all look the same besides the uppermost group which has 1 less null.
https://gyazo.com/05d965515e062844ca05ec98f1d56258

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on May 7, 2019 at 11:35:42 am

Ok, my first question is why not do this in a single paragraph text box? Would be significantly easier to scale to fit screen.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Zack Mahar
on May 7, 2019 at 3:36:57 pm

I am using a plugin which automates quick project edits allowing me to replace text without even entering the project. I set it up this way so that i could maintain the text properties (color, font size) when i use it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]